Best Fried Chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Fried Chicken?

As a kid, it used to be Pioneer Chicken that was the best. Pioneer Pete, making that kettle of beans with the rice, and they were one of the first places I remember that sold "chicken strips". I know there was one on King Street, and one out in Waianae as well, both long gone in the 80's. But as a kid, that was the place to go.

I found out there are still a few Pioneer's in Southern California, I think five are left, with two of them using the original recipe. If I ever make it down to Cali again, I'll have to hunt it down.

Comment

Aunt Kizzy's, huh? I go up to the Marina all the time on business! Next stop is AK's!
      NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Originally posted by nkth View Post
        Aunt Kizzy's, huh? I go up to the Marina all the time on business! Next stop is AK's!
        Let us know how you liked Aunt Kizzy's, please. And hopefully Paul Ogata will too.
        Trust me. You'll both add me to your Christmas card list once you've tried AK's.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I miss the Woolworth fried chicken, made me happy camper. The Magoo`s chicken was ono too!!!! IMO, Damm now I hungry, oh only get junk kine on Maui.
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Let us know how you liked Aunt Kizzy's, please. And hopefully Paul Ogata will too.
            Trust me. You'll both add me to your Christmas card list once you've tried AK's.
            I just got back from the Marina, but I didn't head out there until about 9 pm and it's already nearly 1 am. I'll have to schedule my next meeting for earlier so that I can catch them when they're open. Had to settle for late night In N Out. Animal style...yum!
            NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

PIONEER also had outlets in Wahiawa and Salt Lake. I rank them above the Colonel, but below Church's. About thirty years ago, the local Church's was owned by a Texan named Welba Keach/Keech. One site was Piikoi-Beretania, another was on North King St., just ewa of the Kapalama Canal. Church's was crispy and I always ordered their Jalapeno peppers as a chaser!

As far as the local supermarkets go, I favor Safeway (with their potato wedges as a side order) over Foodland and Star.

Zippy's is okay. Among the long-departed establishments, Hana Broasted, Chico's Pizza, and Chicken Alice bring back fond memories.l

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                I miss the Woolworth fried chicken, made me happy camper.
                I agree. Now obviously that wasn't the same chicken they were serving in the restaurant, who made that? There was nothing like going to Ala Moana, knowing you'd get a piece of chicken and MAYBE some Icee.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  PIONEER also had outlets in Wahiawa and Salt Lake.
                  I remember those too, I think I visited the Salt Lake one once (had an uncle and auntie who lived there) and the Wahiawa a number of times.

Comment

Pioneer Chicken was also located in Waipahu and in Waianae. That Waianae one held on the longest, I think.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                      I found out there are still a few Pioneer's in Southern California, I think five are left, with two of them using the original recipe. If I ever make it down to Cali again, I'll have to hunt it down.
                      Well what do you know. I may have to schedule a road trip myself the next time I'm in Cali. You don't suppose they make the Hawaiian sauce there, do you?
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Anyone remember El Pollo Loco? I used to occasionally hit up their Westridge location back in the day. Incrementally better'n KFC, but zero marketing footprint in Hawaii. Probably a big reason why they packed it up. Looks like they totally retooled their menu and focus.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

When I lived in LA, I would talk story with one of the owners of a Hawaiian food catering service. Everytime he would tell me he had this great idea of a franchise to bring into Hawaii, but he would never spill it. So finally one day he spilled his idea. El Pollo Loco, because in his mind, it was similar to huli-huli so very little ramping required for local tastes

You should have seen his face when I told him, El Pollo Loco was here, then failed quickly. It was like, I killed his one great dream. Never talked to him again after that. Heard that his catering business closed. Somehow I feel responsible ...

----

On a fried chicken note, my wife seems to like Popeye's and their coupon offers, so we tend to eat there a lot. Have to say I prefer it to Z's and KFC.

The next venture will be to try Church's here. Heard some good things about them

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Finally made it to Aunt Kizzy's today for lunch. The food was good, especially the greens. Wow, were the greens awesome! The fried chicken was good, too. But I have to give the edge on the chicken to Roscoe's. Whatever it is that Roscoe's does to the skin is magical! But Kizzy's menu seems much broader than Roscoe's, and I look forward to more visits to The Back Porch.

They have a whole mess of stuff that I want to try including the catfish, okra, jambalaya, sweet potato pie. Plus, Kizzy's gets my vote for ambience and friendly service.

So let me know where to send the Christmas card!

Also, as a kid, I remember eating at the Pioneer Chicken in the Waimalu Plaza Shopping Center. Can't say I remember the food. But I do remember they had the best giveaways: magic tricks! Man, I was so into that when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                              Finally made it to Aunt Kizzy's today for lunch. The food was good, especially the greens. Wow, were the greens awesome! The fried chicken was good, too. But I have to give the edge on the chicken to Roscoe's. Whatever it is that Roscoe's does to the skin is magical! But Kizzy's menu seems much broader than Roscoe's, and I look forward to more visits to The Back Porch.

They have a whole mess of stuff that I want to try including the catfish, okra, jambalaya, sweet potato pie. Plus, Kizzy's gets my vote for ambience and friendly service.

Also, as a kid, I remember eating at the Pioneer Chicken in the Waimalu Plaza Shopping Center. Can't say I remember the food. But I do remember they had the best giveaways: magic tricks! Man, I was so into that when I was a kid.

Paul....you live in LA, yea ? Please check out Dinah's Chicken in Atwater Village....on San fernando near Los Feliz Blvd....most amazing fried chicken I ever ate :-)
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                                Sorry; somehow I missed seeing this post. I was just going to revive the thread and and ask, but there you were. Thanks for the report.
                                Glad you liked Aunt Kizzy's, and your comment about the ambience and service is spot on. Kind of a pleasant surprise for a place in a shopping center, eh?
                                No need to send a Christmas card. A small donation to Auntie Lynne and Blaine's "Christmas Keiki Slippah Fund" will do just fine!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X