Filipino Tapioca Pudding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino Tapioca Pudding

A local Filipino store makes this great tapioca pudding -- made with coconut milk, tapioca, mochi balls and Okinawan sweet potato. What is it called, and does anyone have a recipe for it? Thanks!

Re: Filipino Tapioca Pudding

Originally posted by nikki View Post
    A local Filipino store makes this great tapioca pudding -- made with coconut milk, tapioca, mochi balls and Okinawan sweet potato. What is it called, and does anyone have a recipe for it? Thanks!
    ginaataan? i think? not sure what it's called. even less sure how it's spelled. problematic bcs it's likely to be called different things in diff dialects.

*shrug*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I think you're right... thanks, I found a recipe!

http://www.recipezaar.com/126012

Comment

you're welcome!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Can someone to explain to me what Jack fruit is??
          Me being the pink haired white chick from Oregon....
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_fruit

Wiki to the rescue

Comment

Yup, ginataan (in Tagalog) or paridosdos (in Ilokano).

Unless you're gonna finish it within a day or so, don't add the jackfruit--it'll spoil quickly. My personal advice to you is to not add tapioca or sugar, but add a jar of macapuno (coconut sport) and nata de coco (coconut gel--cubed and found in jars in asian foods section). Pour half of the syrup that comes with the macapuno in your ginataan when cooking--it's more natural than granulated sugar, and you're less likely to oversweeten it.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                Yup, ginataan (in Tagalog) or paridosdos (in Ilokano).

Unless you're gonna finish it within a day or so, don't add the jackfruit--it'll spoil quickly. My personal advice to you is to not add tapioca or sugar, but add a jar of macapuno (coconut sport) and nata de coco (coconut gel--cubed and found in jars in asian foods section). Pour half of the syrup that comes with the macapuno in your ginataan when cooking--it's more natural than granulated sugar, and you're less likely to oversweeten it.
                mmmmmmmmmmmmacapuno.....mmmmmmm! i used to sneak into the fridge and surreptitiously go into the jar with a spoon to slurp some mmmmmmmmmmmmacapuno...*sigh*

Comment

Oh, and don't forget to throw in some boiled peanuts in the ginataan!

ericncyn, good thing you're taking the macapuno away from everyone--I was eating all the mochi balls outta the pot in the fridge.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Oh, and don't forget to throw in some boiled peanuts in the ginataan!

ericncyn, good thing you're taking the macapuno away from everyone--I was eating all the mochi balls outta the pot in the fridge.
                    if we keep at it, all that's gonna be left is corn!

Comment

Posts of the month.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's 3:14 a.m. Reading this thread, feeling the chilly air and having a fever...I'm in need of a bowl of hot ginataan! Luckily, Maunakea Market Place always have it seven days a week or at Fort Street Mall, at one of the Filipino Restaurants. Still, nothing beats a homemade version cause you can put in moa mochi balls which I love personally or da odda kine stuffs. And yes, jack fruit does make it spoil faster.

Gotta watch eating dis...you can gain weight FAST!
                        It's RICH!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                        X