Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karyn's Okazuya

Im pretty sure thats how its spelled.
    In town on Young Street. Its a real small place on the bottom of a small apartment buidling.. oh baby she makes gooooood mochiko chicken and lots of other stuff!!! its yummy!! she only takes cash though.. but its worth it!!

has anyone ate here before?

Re: Karyn's Okazuya

can you give more specifics? i had some time today and i parked my car and walked a bit but didn't see it.

thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I think it's on the block between Keeaumoku and Piikoi... behind the First Interstate Building (which is on King); So about a block and a half from the Dept. of Ag offices and on the Mauka side of Young Street. Maybe near a camera shop? Before you get to Zippy's (Makai side).
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I believe it's spelled Caryn's. It's in a two story green colored apartment building. The address is 1270 Young St. Mochiko chicken is good.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
          I believe it's spelled Caryn's. It's in a two story green colored apartment building. The address is 1270 Young St. Mochiko chicken is good.
          It is spelled Caryn's. I was just about to post a correction but you beat me to it.

Anyway, from the Okazu Guide (it's a few years old but I don't think the info's changed much):

Caryn's Okazuya
          597-8083

Sunday-Monday, closed
          Tuesday-Saturday, 6am-2pm
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

cool. i was looking along the wrong stretch of young street today!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

yes Caryn's is pretty ono. Since Honolulu doesn't have many Okazuya's anymore I would go here several times a year. I find the service average, nothing special. But the daughter working the window was always friendly, and they do have a little garden area to eat at too. But be warned, if you pick several items to sample you plate lunch can quickly turn into $8 to $10, and you still won't feel full!

I remember an Okazuya in Lahaina called Jane's. My buddies and I would go there after surfing to eat lunch. Jane would always throw on some extras to our plates. Oh how I miss a good okazuya!

I have found a pretty good one in Hilo were I know live. But I forgot the name of the place. It's the family's last name, and it's Japanese...oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                yes Caryn's is pretty ono. Since Honolulu doesn't have many Okazuya's anymore I would go here several times a year. I find the service average, nothing special. But the daughter working the window was always friendly, and they do have a little garden area to eat at too. But be warned, if you pick several items to sample you plate lunch can quickly turn into $8 to $10, and you still won't feel full!

I remember an Okazuya in Lahaina called Jane's. My buddies and I would go there after surfing to eat lunch. Jane would always throw on some extras to our plates. Oh how I miss a good okazuya!

I have found a pretty good one in Hilo were I know live. But I forgot the name of the place. It's the family's last name, and it's Japanese...oh well
                Is it KAWAMOTO Vegetable Store on Kilauea Avenue?

Comment

...Since Honolulu doesn't have many Okazuya's anymore I would go here several times a year...
                  Really? I didn't know Honolulu was experiencing an Okazu-ya shortage. I can name at least 10 in Honolulu off the top of my head. 3 of them I visit weekly.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Yeah...I go to several myself.

Mitsuba, Nuuanu, Mitsu-kens, Gulick Delicatessen, Matsumoto’s Okazuya & Restaurant & Fukuya Delicatessen

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

FUKUYA'S in Moiliili is still around. I go there once in awhile after first finding that place 39 years ago. Does SEKIYA'S across Kaimuki HS still have okazu? HISAGO'S closed years ago.

Comment

i finally made it there and you're right: picking this and that can add up real fast. the food was ono but really greasy. i had to use a paper towel to kinda drain the oil off! yeah, i thought the food was okay and the daughter (i didn't realize she was the daughter of the guy who owns the place but it makes sense) was very nice and helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Matsumoto’s Okazuya & Restaurant
                          Matsumoto's is fairly new on the scene, started in 2005. All the classics, done right at a reasonable price.. and the Chow Funn ROCKS! Look out St. Louis Delicatessen. In fact, we're probably going there today for lunch.

Here's a spread from Matsumoto's...

(clockwise L-R) Kim(n)pira Gobo, Ume Musubi, Vegetable Tempura, Mochiko Chicken & Chow Funn

Passed by Caryn's a few times, but never went in.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                          X