The Beer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beer Thread

Does a Better Glass Make for a Tastier Beer?

According to a Foxnews.com report published today, Boston Beer Company introduced "a new glass"...

The garish glass, which offers a more bulbous shape than the typical pint glass and bears a bit of a resemblance to a table lamp, was designed with the purpose of, among other things, "maintaining the ideal temperature; supporting a rich and creamy head; and sustaining the right amount of carbonation."
    Next, they'll incorporate bluetooth technology into the glass, with an electronic level gauge that detects when the glass is empty, automatically summoning the server to bring you a refill; or summoning a cab because you've drank too much to drive.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Does a Better Glass Make for a Tastier Beer?

According to a Foxnews.com report published today, Boston Beer Company introduced "a new glass"...

Next, they'll incorporate bluetooth technology into the glass, with an electronic level gauge that detects when the glass is empty, automatically summoning the server to bring you a refill; or summoning a cab because you've drank too much to drive.
      Put that together with the talking deodorant bar in the bottom of the urinal, and you got a winnah! (who needs a nagging wahine when you have technology to do the nagging for you? )

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My most recent "find" was Samuel Adams Black Lager. Toasty with the right amount of carbonation. Apparently fashioned after the German Schwarz bier style (according to the Sam Adams Website). Willows had this on their list over the holidays. Definitely a keeper.

The only beer I will drink out of the can is Guinness. Having that high tech CO2 dispenser in the can really makes a difference.

Comment

(sung in 3/4 time with a jogging lilt)

I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow.
          I like beer, it helps me unwind and sometimes it makes me feel mellow.
          Whiskey's too rough, Champagne costs too much, and vodka puts my mouth in gear,
          this little refrain, should help me explain,
          as a matter of fact, I like Beer.

Tom T. Hall

I drink Coors Lt for breakfast normally.
          My favorite is Newcastle.
          I like fruit in beer. Rasperry, Lilikoi, Blueberry, Apricot, no matter.
          Red Tail Ale from Mendocino Brewing is pdg.
          The Anchor Steam Christmas series is always exceptional.
          Kona Brewing IPA will put a smile on your face real fast. Caution:After the 5th pint, you magically turn into a cop magnet.

I do not drink beer in green bottles. Gives you headaches.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i saw a sam adams chocolate bock on foot network. i think i'll skip it, i didnt like their triple bock. a chocolate stout might work.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I managed to encounter Stella Artois by mistake. I ordered a keg of Bass Ale and they accidently gave me a keg of Stella. Kegs aren't labelled so when I tapped the Stella it poured out like a lager...actually looking like a Heineken. It was a pleasant surprise when my friend from Better Brands told me that that beer was ultra premium. I definitely agree with the earlier post that after you get past the bitter taste which is usually after the pint, you'll be smooth sailing! Did I say it pours a good head too? Stella is one of my current faves. My other faves include:

Chimay (Maroon Label - bottle)
              Kona Brew's IPA (tap)
              Bass Ale (tap)
              Heineken (tap only)

I've been recommended to try Kokanee....actually trying to find a keg of it here in the 808....no luck thus far! Anyone got the 411 on this?

And when I'm feeling adventurous, I brew 5 gallons of Paradise Pale Ale II (recipe from Hawaiian Home Brew) and put them in the hinged-type Grolsch bottles.

Okole Maluna! (?sp)

Comment

I recentlly served a customer who asked for a "corona red"...I had to ask what that was and he looked at me kinda funny and said to put a little grenadine in the corona, kinda like "duhhh"...he didnt say duh but the look he gave me did. i dont know if corona red is comon knowledge or not, prolly is, but i dont think ill be trying that anytime soon.
                sigpicKalua Pig is where the heart is......
                www.thetikiterrace.com

Comment

Originally posted by MakaP View Post
                  I recentlly served a customer who asked for a "corona red"...I had to ask what that was and he looked at me kinda funny and said to put a little grenadine in the corona, kinda like "duhhh"...he didnt say duh but the look he gave me did. i dont know if corona red is comon knowledge or not, prolly is, but i dont think ill be trying that anytime soon.
                  lol, thats from like the zima days. i would have guessed it was li hing mui corona myself. maybe you should have served him a corona+clamato
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

That reminded me of "Red Draw". I was in Wichita Falls Texas and our host took us to a real "down home" local BBQ spot. Along with slabs of gigantic beef ribs (think the opening sequence of the Flintstones) we were served "Red Draw". It was Coors & Tomato Juice mixed at about a 3-1 ratio. Sure was good with those ribs, but I doubt I'd like it so much today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                      That reminded me of "Red Draw". I was in Wichita Falls Texas and our host took us to a real "down home" local BBQ spot. Along with slabs of gigantic beef ribs (think the opening sequence of the Flintstones) we were served "Red Draw". It was Coors & Tomato Juice mixed at about a 3-1 ratio. Sure was good with those ribs, but I doubt I'd like it so much today.
                      <gag> just the thought of a hoppy, yeasty tasting bloody Mary...urp.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        <gag> just the thought of a hoppy, yeasty tasting bloody Mary...urp.
                        Seems to me a great way to make Coors tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          One of our favorite slogans for Coors in college was: "Coors, the breakfast of champions". In Utah, you can only get "down" beer, so it was always a treat to get the full fueled stuff when we went across the border to WY and picked up cases of it. Our other pet name for Coors was "panther piss" (sorry, Albert! ). When I was at Antioch, before I transferred to UofU, I had a classmate who came from Grand Junction, CO, and for one birthday, he gave me a can of Coors, which at that time couldn't be found east of the Mississippi because it wasn't pasteurized. I kept that can intact for years afterward as a memento.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; February 15, 2007, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Either that, or a "nutritional" excuse to drink beer at 6 O'clock in the morning... "the Breakfast of Champions".

Even Bloody Mary's gross me out. I love tomatoes in just about every other culinary form but juice. V8? No way. Strictly the motor form.

The li hing mui seed in the Corona is definately a tasty option to a lemon wedge. MakaP, perhaps you should add that to your rather eclectically-themed island bar menu at The Tiki Terrace and name it something like, "The Chinaman's Sombrero"... get it.. a spin of "Chinaman's Hat". Or somethin' like that.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yea, have a ice cold "chinaman's sombrero" to go with our Maui Mahi Tacos and a side of Taro Chips and pineapple salsa! hmmm maybe theres sumthin to it?!?
                              sigpicKalua Pig is where the heart is......
                              www.thetikiterrace.com

Comment

Yea, have a ice cold "chinaman's sombrero" to go with our Maui Mahi Tacos and a side of Taro Chips and pineapple salsa! hmmm maybe theres sumthin to it?!?
                                Sounds pretty good. "Chinaman's Sombrero" sounds kinda' weird though. Gotta' give an "A" for creativity though!

Actually, I like the sound of simply "Chinaman's Hat" better...

"I'll have the Maui Mahi Tacos with side of Taro Chips and Pineapple Salsa, along with a Chinaman's Hat (Corona capped with 2 Li Hing Mui Seeds).

Man, that sounds REAL ONO right about now (it's getting close to dinner, Hawaii time)!
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X