• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beer Thread

At a pub: Tennents
    Out of a bottle: Corona
    When in Ireland: Guiness only
    With sashimi: Sapporo
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
      Belgium is the place to go to try different sorts of beer. [----]Stella Artois is a mainstream European lager. Worth trying, but remember it's as exotic as Heineken.
      It should be served at 4-6C I believe - colder than most beers in any case. Now, you might ignore serving suggestions with some other beers but don't try it with this one. It's positively unpleasant if not chilled properly. .
      That's exactly what our waitress advised when suggesting Stella to us, also mentioning that it's rather mainstream; just not in Hawaii. You can tell it would be quite bitter if not chilled properly.

Aggressive advertising campaigns are an important part in the highly competitive beer brewing industry. A component of that being the coasters they provide to their purveyors for service. Also popular with collectors.

Here's a few cool designs...

coaster front

coaster back

Blue Moon Begian White Belgian-Style Wheat Ale

That could be interesting.. try a Corona with an orange instead of a lemon.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Can't wait to try some local ones. Fruity? The only beer I just couldn't finish was Miller light. Company party - it was either that or Bud. Hid it in a potted plant. As for Stella their advertising campaign in Europe is rather annoying (or at least it was so a few years back). They were playing the sophisticated card. Honestly, if it wasn't such a good beer...

Comment

Is red hook and pyramid made locally?

For those of you looking for certain kinds of beer, you should be able to do special orders with your local longs liqour clerk. I used to take special orders for Jolt Cola and all kinds of beer, by the case. Markup is about 25%.

I used to drink MGD, I preffered it to other domestics, speciifally the dry or ice version they had. New Castle is awesome, Asahi, and the others mentioned are good too. Someone mentioned Murphys, I'd recommend Boddington, which is only in a pub can w/nitro tab (yellow can at safeway) which is a full bodied creamy lager beer.
          One of the funniest labels I've seen is "Alimony Ale: The bitterest beer" at Ward Liqour.
          I used to bring in some rotgut called Storm, which was barleywine beer, 12.5% and as thick as syrup. Yuck.

Has anyone tried to make beer before?
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Blue moon is definately a favorite

Magic Hat #9, and Woodchuck cider are good ones too, pretty light and refreshing so you can drink up!! heehee

and guiness of course

Comment

The first time I drank Blue Moon, I thought I was licking plastic. But I drink it all the time nonethless (sans orange).

Oh, and Fat Tire. I forgot all about that. That is le yum, too.

Comment

Pyramid: Washington state - popular in California
                ticker: pmid lol

Red Hook Washington again. What's with Seattle, coffee and beer?

[QUOTE=Hellbent;132198]Is red hook and pyramid made locally?

Comment

What's with Seattle, coffee and beer?
                  To counter all the rain; we spend a lot of time in search of the perfect legal liquid mood shifters.

Comment

Can't wait to try some local ones.
                    There's a complete list of breweries in Hawaii on this beerme.com page (current as of 8/06).

Hilo's Mehana label looks interesting. Anyone ever try that? I see they make Roy's Private Reserve label for his restaurants.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      When I drink beer (rarely, because I'd rather be downing single malt Scotch!), it's usually a local microbrew, like Pyramid or Red Hook, or, when it's on sale, Longboard Ale from Kona Brewing Co. I used to like St. Pauli Girl and Guinness, but now I like Guinness in stew and not to drink out of a bottle.

Miulang
                      Is Miuland in Seatle? Thats what had me confused.
                      I think I tried Mehana, first time I liked it, 2nd time (another day) not so much. Miss Alii Brewery.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        Is Miuland in Seatle?.
                        For now, yes

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Which style is your favorite? I usually like wheat beers and ales

How do you prefer it served? off the draft if possible, never in the can...

What's your favorite label(s)? All time favorite is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but I can't find it anywhere! Otherwise, love the Newcastle. I also really like the Rogue label. They've got some good ones. KBC's Lilikoi Wheat is delicious, as is Brew Moon's Moon Berry Wheat ( I once described it as Fruity Pebbles milk with a beer taste). Sounds weird, but even if you don't like beer, you can drink these.

If you haven't heard already, The YardHouse Restaurant just opened up this past Sunday and they have 128 beers on tap!!!!, and it's awesome. I went to both nights of their preview party and would have bought the beer if it wasn't already free. Plus they have good food to go with it. It's in the Waikiki boardwalk, real close to the Halekulani. Check it out!

Comment

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Ratings-Beer.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              That could be interesting.. try a Corona with an orange instead of a lemon.
                              Speaking of oranges, I remember a commercial jingle from the 70s for a beer called Oranjeboom - was it Dutch? - to the tune of "Ta-ra-ra Boom De-ay". I was too young to drink the stuff at the time, so I have no idea whether the orange motif was purely decorative or whether the beer actually had an orange taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                Speaking of oranges, I remember a commercial jingle from the 70s for a beer called Oranjeboom - was it Dutch? - to the tune of "Ta-ra-ra Boom De-ay". I was too young to drink the stuff at the time, so I have no idea whether the orange motif was purely decorative or whether the beer actually had an orange taste.
                                The orange is for the orange tree of the Dutch royal crest. No orange flavor but a very good and inexpensive beer. Excellent with meals.
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X