X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beer Thread

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Stella Artois

Very crisp, slightly dry, slightly bitter, but after a few sips it smooths out. Nice. This was the draft version, but I'd like to try the bottled version.
    Here in Ireland a Stella is called a "wife beater", as it contains slightly more, about 1%, alcohol. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, but as it is consumed in over half liter pints, I leave the meaning of it's name to your imagination.

Of course my girlfriend loved the Lilikoi Wheat Ale. You ladies and your "fruity" drinks.
    Your missus might like to try a Belgian white beer, fresh and fruity, like Hoegaarde, with a slice of lemon, they are getting very popular over here.

Happy New Year

Comment

the night we flew to portland, we went a christmas party at eric's friend's house. we brought a bottle of budweiser brew master's private reserve (see a pic, description and reviews here) to share. it was a prize eric won at his work's christmas party "dirty santa" game. it comes corked like a champagne bottle, so i feared that maybe it was gonna be gimmicky. we were all surprised at how much it tasted like newcastle for an A-B product. finish was a little different. too bad a lot of the crowd at the party are "canoe beer" drinkers. we couldn't finish the bottle so we we happily gave it to the only other person who truly appreciated it--a friend of eric's who had spent part of 2007 in iraq.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Guinness Extra Stout

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
        The only beer I will drink out of the can is Guinness. Having that high tech CO2 dispenser in the can really makes a difference.
        I second that! Guinness Draught is an all-time favorite. But recently (as in tonight), I sampled Guinness Extra Stout. It’s more “caramelly” then the Draught version and the after-taste more bitter. Be that as it may, my eyes were drawn to a section of the label that reads “Brewed and bottled by Guinness Brewing Company, New Brunswick Canada.” According to Wikipedia, the Canadian version has 1% less alcohol then the U.S. version. Yet this is obviously the U.S. version as it has all the state “bottle bill” refund amounts (Vermont, Delaware, Hawai‘i, etc.) printed on it.

What should I believe as far as alcohol content?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

If it says it's brewed an bottled in Canada, I can't think of any reason to believe otherwise. The US label stuff is put there because the beer is being sold in the United States. If you look at a lot of import brews, you'll see that the labels have all the US bottle-tax info on them, too.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If I am drinking beer, it is either going to be a Guinness, Boddingtons, or New Castle. I am not a beer snob, but domestic brews don't do "it" for me, and too much carbonation is a killer. I wish i could find Oranjaboom more, I love that for a lighter beer.

I like the variety of micro brews that are readily available nowaday, seems like the sky is the limit. I am a fan of all the Sierra Nevada brews, the ESB brews, and magic 8 brew.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

The product may have been made in Canada, but the final product may be brewed to the specs to any market. One version for Canada and the other for the US(probably due to some "liquor" law) both made in the same facility.
              This is mostly done for the US so that it can be labeled as an "Import" even though it is not from the original country plus beer from Canada and Mexico is not taxed due to NAFTA results in more competitive pricing versus US brands.
              Although it should be noted that even beers exported from it's original country may be crafted differently to appeal to taste or laws in other markets.
              Last edited by Ninja; May 22, 2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                The product may have been made in Canada, but the final product may be brewed to the specs to any market. One version for Canada and the other for the US (probably due to some "liquor" law) both made in the same facility.
                This is mostly done for the US so that it can be labeled as an "Import" even though it is not from the original country plus beer from Canada and Mexico is not taxed due to NAFTA results in more competitive pricing versus US brands.
                Thanks for the explanation, Ninja. I guess this makes sense. It still doesn’t help me get my hands on a six-pack of "Guinness Foreign Extra Stout" which is reputedly the best out of the half-dozen different versions of Guinness.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

today's sunday star-bulletin takes a very special look at hawaii's breweries with hawaii on tap.

mmmm, me thirsty! and it's only 5:30 ayem!
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Stella Artweiser?

Almost, as Anheuser-Busch has agreed to a $52 BILLION buyout by Belgian mega-brewer InBev.

Story

(AP) Brewer InBev SA said Monday it will buy U.S. rival Anheuser-Busch for $52 billion to create the world's largest brewer.

The deal sees control over America's largest brewer move overseas as it forms the fourth-largest consumer product company under the name of Anheuser-Busch InBev.

InBev promises that the takeover will help global best seller Budweiser expand into emerging markets like China, Russia and Brazil, generating large profits as costs rise and revenue from beer sales in North America and Europe fall flat.
                    I don't know. I'm not so fond of the idea of a major national brand like AB being owned by an overseas operator. What next, Airbus buys out Boeing?
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It bothers me a little when foreign companies buy our good stuff. When they buy our crap, as has happened here, I say fine!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Belgians brew better than Americans anyway. Heck, just about everybody brews better than Americans - the requirements of providing a standard flavor that withstands long-haul shipping has led the major American brewers to emasculate taste. A friend from Venezuela calls it "peess-water." (You may have to imagine his accent here.)

N.B.: I am not speaking of the American microbrewers here, but the biggies we all know, Anheuser-Busch, Coors, etc.

Comment

Anheuser-Busch has agreed to a $52 BILLION buyout by Belgian mega-brewer InBev.
                          I wonder how this will affect Cindy McCain, wife of Presidential candidate John McCain. I doubt it will significantly affect her company Hensley & Co., but could the buyout have some political fallout this election season?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

I tend to drink Coors Light with alternates to Bud Light or Michelob (which was my original choice back in my college days).

I do find that Coors Light pairs well with steaks.

Comment

Was in the mood to have some Coors Light with some chicken burgers I got from Sams' Club. The nearby 7-11 didn't have any single cans available so I got a couple 25oz cans of Michelob Light instead. Manage to drink both cans while watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Comment

Working...
                              X