Cornbread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cornbread?

At the Emeril website is a recipe for Spoon Bread, like Corn Bread with more stuff in it. Onions, peppers, sausage, heavy cream, and of course corn meal.

Anything with heavy cream is okay with me.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

How do you all feel about cornbread with actual kernals of corn in it?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        How do you all feel about cornbread with actual kernals of corn in it?
        I've had at. Old style ~ Homemade. Piping Hot with lots of butter and homemade guava jelly or other jams.

ONOLICIOUS!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          At the Emeril website is a recipe for Spoon Bread, like Corn Bread with more stuff in it. Onions, peppers, sausage, heavy cream, and of course corn meal.
          Anything with heavy cream is okay with me.
          Haven't investigated his recipe, but we've made Spoon Bread many times, usually during the Fall & Winter holiday-season big-meal events. Good, spicy chorizo sausage works well; I'd wager andouille or Portuguese sausage would also fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            I like the old fashioned kind that is not sweet. Modern cornbread is more like cake though it is certainly tasty. Here is a super easy recipe that uses Bisquick. Southern Cornbread. It's definitely best cooked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings as the recipe notes.
            Yaaaay!!! Finally somebody else around here who shares my love of this style of cornbread instead of the Northern version!!! Know any place on Oahu that serves this kind?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
              Yaaaay!!! Finally somebody else around here who shares my love of this style of cornbread instead of the Northern version!!! Know any place on Oahu that serves this kind?
              Is Deb's in Kailua still open? Anyone know? I know they serve Southern comfort food -- so I'm sure cornbread would be on the menu!
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

This thread made me hungry for cornbread, so I have some southern spoonbread with jalapenos in the oven to accompany the chicken chili I just made. I like the custardy stuff more than the cakey stuff (except in stuffing).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  Is Deb's in Kailua still open? Anyone know? I know they serve Southern comfort food -- so I'm sure cornbread would be on the menu!
                  It closed about a year ago, IIRC. I think her food was a bit overpriced. She did get into the retail food business, though---frozen entrees and such--don't know if she marketed her cornbread or maybe a mix.

Molly's Smokehouse in Wahiawa is still going strong, though---big military following out there. I do believe they have cornbread, too---I remember someone bringing in cornbread muffins to work from Molly's.

Comment

Damnnit, now I'm off to go make some Jiffy cornbread.
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I like hush puppies with lots of onions in it. Nobody here makes the stuff. Went to Molly's Texas BBQ in Wahiawa and their cornbread is the sweet kind. Now, I like the sweet kind too, but I haven't come across anyplace that makes plain'ol hush puppies or plain, unsweetened cornbread to go with already sweet BBQ sauce on chicken or pork.......or blackened catfish. Ooooh. I gotta look for the recipe for the fish seasoning. Recently had fresh catfish fried up and blackened with a side of the sweet cornbread cowboy beans. Thought I just came off a cattle drive. It was goooooooood.

Comment

Doesn't Dixie Grill serve hushpuppies? Also, and yeah, slap me down for this one, too, but is there still that Panda sister operation Orleans Express at Ala Mo's food court? They might have a cornbread concoction.

I make a savory corn bread pudding with extra sharp cheese, half-half cream, a dozen or so of eggs, home made cornbread and a ton of carmelized onions. Bake until incredible. It is a dangerous thing.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          Doesn't Dixie Grill serve hushpuppies? Also, and yeah, slap me down for this one, too, but is there still that Panda sister operation Orleans Express at Ala Mo's food court? They might have a cornbread concoction.

I make a savory corn bread pudding with extra sharp cheese, half-half cream, a dozen or so of eggs, home made cornbread and a ton of carmelized onions. Bake until incredible. It is a dangerous thing.
                          i think..not sure, but i think...that orleans express in makai market is gone.

it's been about a decade since i last went, but i used to love the hush puppies from chowder house in ward centre/center.

lavagal--i can't remember there being an L&L at liliha shopping center, but the (original?) L&L is up the hill, still on vineyard. is that where miss jackson (cause i'm er..nasty) goes?

i learned a southern cornbread dressing recipe from my college boyfriend's mom (she's from south carolina). the recipe uses jiffy cornbread mix, bisquits made with bisquick, celery, onion, sage and chicken broth. whenever i've served this, other stuffings/dressings on the table are ignored. =P

so yeah, i think jiffy is da bomb.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                            I Went to Molly's Texas BBQ in Wahiawa and their cornbread is the sweet kind. Now, I like the sweet kind too, but I haven't come across anyplace that makes plain'ol hush puppies or plain, unsweetened cornbread to go with already sweet BBQ sauce on chicken or pork.......or blackened catfish.
                            I talked to Molly about the cornbread she serves and she told me that if you want the traditional unsweetened cornbread, call her up and she'll make it for you. You just need to give them a bit of notice and they'll whip up a batch.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              I talked to Molly about the cornbread she serves and she told me that if you want the traditional unsweetened cornbread, call her up and she'll make it for you. You just need to give them a bit of notice and they'll whip up a batch.
                              Holy cow. Now I've got a reason to go there. I thought they only made the sweet cornbread like everybody else.

Awesome. Best news I've heard all day!

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                                i think..not sure, but i think...that orleans express in makai market is gone.

lavagal--i can't remember there being an L&L at liliha shopping center, but the (original?) L&L is up the hill, still on vineyard. is that where miss jackson (cause i'm er..nasty) goes?

that'd be the one. can't say I'm clear on anything else, though.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X