Cornbread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornbread?

Okay, I know this question isn't related to the topic of discussion but has anybody had a good slice of cornbread lately? I've been craving cornbread for some reason and I need leads. Thanks in advance.

Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    Okay, I know this question isn't related to the topic of discussion but has anybody had a good slice of cornbread lately? I've been craving cornbread for some reason and I need leads. Thanks in advance.
    Go to the baking supply aisle at Safeway. Find a box of Jiffy brand cornbread mix. Follow the directions. Grind. Jiffy is about the best cornbread mix around, and it makes just the right size (8"x8" pan) and it should be fairly cheap (sometimes you can get the boxes on sale for like 50 or 60 cents apiece). I assume you don't want to make it from scratch, yeah? Very few bakeries make cornbread anymore, because it's so easy to make and there's not much call for it except as turkey stuffing at Thanksgiving.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
      Anna Miller's.

Comment

Re: Cornbread?

dont' know if they have Marie Callendars cornbread here, but it is to die for. They include this wonderful sweet butter that you drizzle over it. Safeway used to have it.

Not to be confused with the Marie Callendars Chili and cornbread.
        n'importe

Comment

In Macy's, at the top floor cafe in Pearlridge.

Whoa brah........and get it grilled....WHOA BRAH !!!!!

www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

I could sooooo go for some good 'ol cornbread scattered across some smothered chicken over some red beans and rice.

Anybody who can point me in that direction (without flying back to my beloved Bayou), show me the way.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Jeeze! Does nobody cook at home anymore?

1 cup flour
              1 cup cornmeal
              1/2 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
              1 teaspoon salt
              3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
              1 cup milk
              1/3 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients, beat egg and liquids together and stir into dry mix til just blended. Bake at 375°
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sure, I cook. But one of the guys I used to work with at Kaiser loved the cornbread from Liliha Bakery...to me it was better than their overrated cremepuffs (note not cream, as I don't really think it's really cream!). Over on Vineyard in that little shopping center where Janet Jackson gets her L&L fix.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Oh man, cornbread.....I could eat it by the ton.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I like the old fashioned kind that is not sweet. Modern cornbread is more like cake though it is certainly tasty. Here is a super easy recipe that uses Bisquick. Southern Cornbread. It's definitely best cooked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings as the recipe notes.
                    Last edited by glossyp; February 27, 2007, 05:50 AM. Reason: Recommend cooking method

Comment

I like cornbread crumbly and bready, not cakey. Jiffy's pretty good for that.

Also, Liliha Bakery isn't anywhere near Vineyard; it's closer to the corner of Kuakini and Liliha, across the Kuakini Pizza Hut. I like its grilled cornbread, too.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        I like cornbread crumbly and bready, not cakey. Jiffy's pretty good for that.

Also, Liliha Bakery isn't anywhere near Vineyard; it's closer to the corner of Kuakini and Liliha, across the Kuakini Pizza Hut. I like its grilled cornbread, too.

Didn't realize it spanned Kuakini Pizza Hut. Thanks for the smack down.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Used to be the Ranch House in Kona had the best Corn Bread on the planet. Served it to everybody as the appetizer when you went for breakfast.

I could also eat about a ton of it. mmmmmm-mmmmmmm yummy.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

People laugh at me cuz I like Jiffy cornbread. It's dirt cheap and it works.

I always see the cornbread at Costco and it's tempting each time I pass by it. I haven't tried it yet tho.

My favorite cornbread-related recipe is a spicy corn cornbread casserole out of some country bumpkin recipe book. I'm sure at some point you're supposed to add like some spices maybe, but I dont - the pepperjack does it for me.

2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread (or your fav cornbread).
                            1 can of corn
                            1 can of creamed corn
                            1 small can of green chiles
                            half a block of pepperjack, shredded.

Prepare the cornbread mix as usual (both boxes), pour half of the mix in a brownie pan (or one of those long pyrex dishes of your choice). Mix the cans of corn and chiles, then pour that on top of the cornbread mix, then top that with the shredded cheese, then pour the remaining cornbread mix on top. Bake it I thought at 400 for 25 minutes or until the cornbread looks really good. At first, I thought this would be be kinda gross, but I can eat this for days. And days. And days. And boy does it reheat well.

Comment

Ok gang. Dis thread is making me hungry for POTAGEE BEAN SOUP!
                              http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....favorite+soups

I get my Corn Breads from Zippy's Vineyard, Liliha Bakery or Aala Bakery.

Put plenny BUTTER!

Yummy!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X