• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Best/Worst McDonald's

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    [...] So, we'd pile into a car and head for the Golden Arches, where a dollar could fill us up. Four hamburgers @$0.15 each ($0.60), two fries @$0.10 ($0.20), and one soft drink @$0.10 - that's $0.90.[...]
    During that time didn't McD have occasional offers of 10 burgers for $1.00? Or was that another fast food restaurant? Come to think of it...were there any other ff places at that time?
    Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
    Memories! Yes, I worked on McDonalds during the 1970s in LA. I think the 1971 mopping spot rang a bell with me because another spot featured the cleanliness factor but not in song and dance like the one on YouTube. I remember talking to the technical assistant on the set about McD's cleaning policy and I was so impressed!
    Last edited by tutusue; March 3, 2007, 09:24 AM. Reason: correct a gratamatuhcal misteak!

Leave a comment:

• bueller555
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Thanks for the link. Nope, I didn't work on that one. It's not the one I was thinking of.
    Any of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonal...ns_and_slogans

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

My first experience with McD's was as a college student in Bloomington, IN. The dorm meal plan covered 20 meals a week, excluding Sunday dinner. So, we'd pile into a car and head for the Golden Arches, where a dollar could fill us up. Four hamburgers @$0.15 each ($0.60), two fries @$0.10 ($0.20), and one soft drink @$0.10 - that's $0.90.

My first visit to McD's here in Honolulu was to their second location, Palolo. What I remember is that the Big Mac was $0.63, the slightly smaller Double Cheeseburger was $0.59, and what I almost always ordered was a pretty good Roast Beef sandwich which topped the menu at $0.69.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

I asked Andrew Gomes at The Advertiser if the Hawaii Kai McDs would be getting a McCafe and he said it wasn't in the cards. However, with Aina Haina being the oldest, it's posible that it would show up there. I guess McDs decided it should get in on the $3 cup of joe, too. I did see that HIKMcDs is selling that cinnamon thing, so some menu items cross the cafe line.

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    If anyone can recall the Big Mac was sold with a cardboard liner around the whole thing measuring close to three inches high.

My worst McDonald's experience also happened at the Waialae Bowl location. The server spoke in broken english (mostly Filipino) and couldn't get my order straight. After several attempts to order some food I asked for the manager...who promptly came out asking me what the problem was...with a heavy Korean accent.

At that point I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, "Is there anyone working behind this counter that can speak plain English?" The place went quiet and then one by one applause erupted in the restaurant.
    I remember that liner.

Heh, I've been to the Waialae Bowl McD's exactly 2 times, in the past. They got my order wrong both times. They're hitting 100% for me. Never went back.

Sounds like the Wahiawa McD's. 3 languages, Filipino, Samoan and Korean. The few who do speak "proper" English appear to be mentally challenged. Poor things work so hard they stop thinking. I'd have to say a good 90% of our orders have had errors. How angry I get depends on who took my order. If it's from one of the "multilingual" counterhelp, I get livid. I'm way more forgiving with the "slower" workers.

We go to the Mauka McD's when we get the "cravings". They've been the opposite for us. They've gotten things right 90% of the time, plus some. Most of their counterhelp are local high school students. Not ESL kids.

At least we get smiles from the counter help at these 2 places. The Mililani Walmart's McD's....don't get me started.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

My worst McDonald's experience also happened at the Waialae Bowl location. The server spoke in broken english (mostly Filipino) and couldn't get my order straight. After several attempts to order some food I asked for the manager...who promptly came out asking me what the problem was...with a heavy Korean accent.
    Filipino worker: "Sar, dee order is dee BIG MUCK, dee LOURGE P'D'RIES and dee SMOE P'D'ROOT PONCHE, . Iz dot oll?" (Sir, your order is one Big Mac, a large fries and a small fruit punch. Is that all?).

Korean Manager: "Uh-sa-mat-ta suh?" (What's the matter, sir?)

Da So'le standing in line behind you: "Eh cush, you kona haff to make quick, ush ish hungree ouwreddy". (Hey cousin (dude), you've gotta' speed it up, we're starvin').

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I remember it because back then the Waialae Jolly Rogers sold a hamburger for 25-cents and if you just doubled it you'd have the bulk of a Big Mac for 15-cents less. That's how I remembered the 65-cent Big Mac. And it was BIG back then.

If anyone can recall the Big Mac was sold with a cardboard liner around the whole thing measuring close to three inches high.

At that point I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, "Is there anyone working behind this counter that can speak plain English?" The place went quiet and then one by one applause erupted in the restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm dusting the 1964 cob webs outta my brain and I seem to recall a McD hamburger was 15 cents in SoCal and the Golden Arches sign showed 1,000,000 sold. Sorry, too lazy to google!
    The oldest McD that's still in business in Downey CA serves Big Mac meals with med fries and drink for $2.99 every day of the week. Not the same as 15 cents but still pretty good for today's prices.

Leave a comment:

• Hellbent
    replied

i remember when the ice cream cones were called ice milks and it was <0.25$.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

I'm dusting the 1964 cob webs outta my brain and I seem to recall a McD hamburger was 15 cents in SoCal and the Golden Arches sign showed 1,000,000 sold. Sorry, too lazy to google!

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

That McDonalds was Hawaii's first back in I believe 1967 when a Big Mac was 65-cents and much larger than what it is now.
    How can you remember the actual price?

What I do remember, though, was that when I was a college student on the mainland, McDonalds was a lifesaver for me. A Big Mac and fries for less than a dollar! It sustained me and kept me on my budget. I've always been thankful for that.

I don't eat at McDonalds much now days, but every now and then, when I just need "something," I know McDonalds is nearby and won't put a dent in my wallet. Sometimes, when I've had too much to drink, I'll suddenly get nostalgic ... and just need a Big Mac. Not the most gastonomically inspiring dish, but it satisfies. It sustains.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    I quit eating McDs regularly the day I saw Supersize Me for the first time. I only make exceptions when the McRib comes back on the circuit.[...]
    I'd estimate 95% of my McD purchases consist of side salads, fresh fruit salads and (senior!) diet cokes. For a single person the $1. side salads are a great deal. They consist of mixed greens, tomatoes and carrots. Add dressing of choice, shake vigorously and...voila...a decent snack on the run or meal accompaniment. Actually, I no longer buy all the salad fixings from the grocery store as I always ended up throwing out at least half of it. Instead I buy 3 salads at a time to carry me thru 3 days!

I like the fruit salad altho' sliced apples aren't my fruit of choice. But it sure works on the run. The container of cut up fresh fruit at Costco is still my favorite and the best deal in town!

The other 5%? McDs chocolate chip cookies are almost the best! Costco wins that competition, too!

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

I quit eating McDs regularly the day I saw Supersize Me for the first time. I only make exceptions when the McRib comes back on the circuit.

But I gotta agree with PJ. That vanilla softserve and fresh outta the fryer french fries are soooooo good.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Of all the stories so far, nothing can (almost literally) top the can of worms opened at the Waianae McDonald's[...]
    Still, this wouldn't necessarily discourage me from ever visiting that location in the future. If anything, you'd think they would be even more vigilant and careful about sanitary issues after discovering that.[...]
    That (my neighborhood!) McDs has been cleaned up and partially remodeled. But, that news report did deter me for a few months!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by mapen View Post
    I think I saw that commercial on YouTube recently[...]
    Thanks for the link. Nope, I didn't work on that one. It's not the one I was thinking of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X