No announcement yet.

Could You Survive On Your Race's Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could You Survive On Your Race's Diet?

This thread is NOT to start another online race war , so let's not go there. If for one month you had to eat your race's native diet ,could you? If you are of mixed race like a lot are in Hawaii, pick one out of the mix.

I am NOT too fond of Japanese food. so I think I could ,but it would not be easy. I like the pickles, tonkatsu, rice and tempura ,but say no to the fish.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Could You Survive On Your Race's Diet?

A friend of mine who was a POW in Vietnam for five years laughs about other POWs complaining about the food they received. Yes, he says, it was fishheads and rice and thin vegetables and not up to American standards — but it was also the exact same meal the guards were getting.

Is it possible that many people emigrate to America in order to escape their native cuisine?
    Last edited by buzz1941; March 12, 2007, 12:04 PM.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm such a mix--I'd have to say YES!
      German: beer, brats, kraut, pickles, spuds, slaw
      English: fish-n-chips, beer
      Irish: Spuds, corned beef, beer
      French: Wine
      American Indian: Corn, tomatoes, fish, (East Coast's Lenape).
      American: Mac-n-cheese, salad, pizza, burgers, Italian food, Indian food, Thai food, Vietnamese food, Hawaiian food, Soul food, seafood.

So, yeah. I'm fairly certain I'd survive.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Let's see. For me, I would have 3 types to choose from:
        - Korean: Yup. No problem there.
        - Italian: Easily.
        - Dutch: I guess, but it'd be harder than the first two.

A month really isn't that long or that hard, imo. Make it a year, and I'd probably put more thought into it.

I almost wish I had some katonk in me, cuz I could eat Japanese food all day, everyday, forever and ever.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          This thread is NOT to start another online race war , so let's not go there. If for one month you had to eat your race's native diet ,could you? If you are of mixed race like a lot are in Hawaii, pick one out of the mix.
          AlohaBear, IIRC, you're part Filipino too, correct? If so, what would make you choose the Japanese over the Filipino diet to survive on?

Based on good health statistics and low obesity rate in that nation, Japan's traditional diet would be the obvious choice. At the top would be the traditional Okinawan diet. IIRC, there are more centenarians in Okinawa than anywhere else in the world.

From what I've seen The Food Network, traditional English food sucks, so that's out for me.

German sausages and beer sounds entertaining, but I don't think I'd live long on that alone. lol

I'm not as familiar as I should with traditional Portuguese cuisine, only knowing the stuff we all know here. I believe they eat alot of seafood though, which is good.

So I'll go with the traditional Hawaiian diet. It's well balanced, organic and tasty.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oooh yes I'd survive without any probs.

Japanese: I'm with you on being able to eat most of the Japanese food except I find some of the fishy tastes hard to swallow.

Assyrian: I could eat Assyrian food all day long as long as I'm not the one cooking it! hahahahaaa. Lots of stews and soups, rice, dolma, chada...actually I dont know how to spell it, maybe it's this chadee or kadee recipe that has 17 sticks of butter, but we pronounce it chada whatever it is (it's like a sweet biscuit cookie thing that tastes like it has 17 sticks of butter). oh and baklava counts as Assyrian food or at least some version of baklava does. Mom used to make chipti like once or twice a year. It was also a treat when she'd make us this Assyrian rice pilaf-like dish (she wont give me the recipe cuz she says it's too hard...boo). I think it had 17 sticks of butter, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              AlohaBear, IIRC, you're part Filipino too, correct? If so, what would make you choose the Japanese over the Filipino diet to survive on?
              Sorry dude, I may look it, I'm 100% JapaneseHere's the kicker...I would eat the Filipino diet over Japanese.
              Last edited by alohabear; March 12, 2007, 01:08 PM.

Flickr

Comment

Answer #1: There's a "haole diet?" What - Twinkies & Mickey D? It'll kill me.

Answer #2: I'm enough of a poi dog that there's plenty to choose from, so yes I could. But I'm fortunate to have all of the human race's diet to choose from - an option that would not have been available even less than a century ago.

Comment

i could survive and enjoy eating chinese food.

re: leo, wouldnt 'haole' diet be like steak and potatoes, bacon and eggs, meatloaf, pot roast, and stuff like that? =P
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Sorry dude, I may look it, I'm 100% JapaneseHere's the kicker... i would eat a the Filipino diet over Japanese.
                    Sorry 'bout that. Thought you said somewhere on here that you were part Filipino. Eating Filipino is good too though.

A late calabash aunt ate Japanese food almost exclusively when at home. She was (local) Japanese of course. If I could choose a diet that I'm NOT ethnically made up of, it would be Japanese. Love it. Which is why I'm a Marukai member!

Wow Kelly, Japanese-Assyrian mix. Interesting. You must be gorgeous. I seen this family in a restaurant recently. The mother looked Korean and the father looked "Middle Eastern" (I can't pinpoint exactly what). Their son and daughter (about 8 years old) were absolutely gorgeous. Definately model/movie star potential when they get older.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sorry dude, I may look it, I'm 100% JapaneseHere's the kicker...I would eat the Filipino diet over Japanese.
                      the "kicker" is quite amusing for me--being a filipina with spanish heritage who adores both japanese food and her mostly japanese man, who, thankfully, can eat bagoong with me without wriggling his nose.

i most certainly can survive on filipino food, bcs that's what i ate practically every day growing up. i don't mean i ate adobo, pansit, balut and guisantes often--in fact, i usually ate a lot of fish and soups that were mostly fili veggies with lean meat or fish in em, as well as salads of filipino veggies. and since fili food has been influenced by spanish food (adobo, for example), and i've also had spanish food, i would happily survive on that, too.

but i'd cry if i couldn't eat toro or maguro or hamachi or katsu or tenpura or ramen now and again.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        re: leo, wouldnt 'haole' diet be like steak and potatoes, bacon and eggs, meatloaf, pot roast, and stuff like that? =P
                        Probably - at least, Midwestern-style 'haole' diet. It would still kill me. Much of that sounds like it would be of British Isles origin, too. But I'm just speculating.

I don't have steak very often, maybe four to six times a year. Eggs, never on their own (just as an ingredient in other dishes.) Meatloaf, maybe three times a year. Pot roast, very rarely. Potatoes, often, in a variety of forms. Now, bacon --- ahhh, 'tis the candy of meats!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Now, bacon --- ahhh, 'tis the candy of meats!
                          Mmmmm....Bacon!Baked Ham is another "candy"

Flickr

Comment

I'm half Irish...and I don't like Irish whiskey.
                            I'm one quarter Scotch...and, well, I don't like scotch.
                            The other quarter is a mix but predominantly English...and I don't like bitters.
                            So...no...I wouldn't survive!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I'm half Irish...and I don't like Irish whiskey.
                              I'm one quarter Scotch...and, well, I don't like scotch.
                              The other quarter is a mix but predominantly English...and I don't like bitters.
                              So...no...I wouldn't survive!
                              ROFLMAO. Guiness? Food, tutusue, food.

I'm Korean. I won't touch their booze. Well, I did take a liking to a very sweet wine that was called "Oscar". Grape juice with a kick. Was better than cheap American wines. You know....Boones Farm, Mogen David, etc.

Korean food? Yeah, no problemo. Lots of tasty vegies and meats. Enough variation to keep from getting boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X