Do Filipinos eat loudly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Filipinos eat loudly?

This article asks and attempts to research the question.

This "Ask" column, in a Florida paper, has drawn questions of cultural insensitivity for this and similar columns - such as ones on whether Japanese are "obsessed" with being in photographs.

Re: Do Filipinos eat loudly?

HAHAHAHAHA

Too Funny!

I can remember plenty tata's and manangs who would win awards for smacking their lips while eating. It showed dat the kaukau was onolicious.

In fact, I do it too. Of course in private in my Hale. So does my grandson. Doesn't everybody? I mean...when you eat something delicious ~ don't YOU say 'hmmmm...good!' and smack your lips or sumting? If not...you not normal!

K-den. Filipinos eat loudly? I think Chinese eat louder. Talking while eating their meals and hitting that darn chopsticks together going two eighty like it was drum sticks. heheheh

And wat about dee Potagees? Plezzzzzzzz...no get me started. I am Blogger.

The Japanese are the quiet ones.

Wait. The Vietnamese are da loudest. Their 'Birdlike' language irritates the hell outta me. That is my opinion.

No get MAD.

Auntie pUpule
    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 13, 2007, 07:15 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      This article asks and attempts to research the question.

This "Ask" column, in a Florida paper, has drawn questions of cultural insensitivity for this and similar columns - such as ones on whether Japanese are "obsessed" with being in photographs.
      I thought that the Japanese are also "obsessed" with TAKING photographs as well as being in them.

Comment

I would guess only among other Filipinos....I've never noticed noisy eating firsthand what a silly question
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          [...]Wait. The Vietnamese are da loudest. Their 'Birdlike' language irritates the hell outta me. That is my opinion.[...]
          Oooh, but Auntie...the question is about eating not talking!

Comment

Well, you know that in Japan, it's actually rude NOT to make a slurping sound when eating noodles such as Ramen or Soba. Slurping is thought to psychologically make the noodles taste better and that tells the shopkeeper/cook that you're "dedicated to the bowl".

I personally have never observed noisy eating behavior (smacking lips) while dining with Filipino friends and family (by marriage). At least not enough to be noteworthy.

I asked a colleague who is from the Philippines this question, and she also hasn't heard of such a thing, in fact teaching her children the exact opposite - to eat quietly with your mouth closed.

This brings to mind that other topic about the Filipino boy being reprimanded in school for using both a fork and spoon to eat.

What's funny (for anyone) is trying to eat crunchy things like popcorn quietly when watching a movie in a theater.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

omg, thats my new pet peeve! i had a gf who used to eat popcorn with her front teeth, squeek squeek squeek and i think my wife is starting to eat with her mouth open just to annoy me! smacksmacksmacksmack
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Oooh, but Auntie...the question is about eating not talking!
                heheheh....

Yeah. Dey talk while dey eating. "chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp......"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I wouldn't say noisy...it's passionate sounds that anyone would make while--oh, eating? Nevermind.

Nah, we eat quietly. Smacking is rude.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I am amazed by the HUGE amounts of food that the Japanese are able to put in their mouths. And they seem to swallow those HUGE amounts of food whole, with barely a chew!

I would choke to death.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                      I am amazed by the HUGE amounts of food that the Japanese are able to put in their mouths. And they seem to swallow those HUGE amounts of food whole, with barely a chew!

I would choke to death.
                      Nine of the last ten years of the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Competition, the winner has been a Japanese national - Tsunami Kobayashi for the past six, setting world records four times.

>>>>> urrrrrrppp! <<<<<

Comment

Because of the mixed culture us local people have, I tend to see different actions not normally seen in a particular culture. Case in point: when we have family gatherings, we literally make the loudest noise in the neighborhood (atleast at the time) - people talking, taking pictures (filipinos love that), choke grinds - and yes, some filipinos are loud (atleast when they're not talking).
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I have a mainland Filipino acquaintance who eats noisily. I wouldn't say he smacks, although it sounds like it, but he does chew with his mouth open. My son, who isn't Filipino, eats the same way.

I doubt it's an ethnic thang. If it's simply a lack of "proper table manners" we're talking about, they were simply not taught. Case in point is my son. He lived with his mom after our divorce. She never kept on him about it. Small kid time, my aunt used to watch us like a hawk. "Chew with your mouth closed". "Don't stuff your mouth." "Sit up straight." "Chew quietly." "Hold your fork properly." Etc.

The worst offenders I've observed are the very one's who "invented" Western table manners and dining etiquette and write silly articles complaining about the eating habits of 3rd world countries and Asians. Yeah, the white folks. The one's I've observed don't know how to use dinnerware, stuff their mouths and dribble and spew wogs and dregs all over the place. Far more locals and Asians, that I've observed, know how to use dinnerware properly and are more conscious of how they eat. Sorry, I'd rather sit next to someone who "smacks" while they eat. At least they sound like they're enjoying their food. Much rather hear it than see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Nine of the last ten years of the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Competition, the winner has been a Japanese national - Tsunami Kobayashi for the past six, setting world records four times.

>>>>> urrrrrrppp! <<<<<
                            A few weeks ago or so there was a noodle-eating contest somewhere in Ala Moana shopping center. It was a promotional thing for a Japanese radio or TV station, I think. A local news clip showed the contestants, several pretty Japanese women, wolfing down enormous portions of noodles. Each contestant picked up about a cupful at a time with chopsticks, slammed it into her mouth---and then the whole blob disappeared in a nanosecond!

The very strangest things mesmerize me, sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                              The worst offenders I've observed are the very one's who "invented" Western table manners and dining etiquette and write silly articles complaining about the eating habits of 3rd world countries and Asians. Yeah, the white folks.
                              If you're talking about the "expert" who responded to the question, he was Philipino
                              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Working...
                              X