Do Filipinos eat loudly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Filipinos eat loudly?

i work with alot of filipinos.... they are very joyous. positive thinkers. if something is bothering them , they keep it to themselves. i dont think they eat loudly. but they eat weird.... this one lady , she eats fried chicken with ice cream... DALAI!
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Talked to a friend who came here in 64, or thereabouts, from the "old country".

I asked, "Eh, Dolores!"

Her, "What!"

Me, "There's a discussion online about an article from Florida about the noisy eating habits of Filipinos. So wot? Dey eat noisy?"

Her, giving me side eye, "I don't!....but some do. Dey tink da food taste more better wen you mek big noise wit da lips."

Me, "So, it's kinda like anyone else. More personal preference or bad table manners?"

Her, "Yah. It's rude to eat like dot. I no eat like dot. Eben my hoosban no eat like dot!"

Me, "Well, someone answered that they do eat noisy. He's supposed to be somekind of expert in Filipino cuisine and claims that some actually compete to be the loudest."

Her, "Hah?!? Whoever he ate wit probly gib him dog an tol him wuz pig, too. Hahahahahaha!"

Knowing the playful nature of these people, I'm not going to argue that.

As for that lip smacking competition that the author witnessed, that's just what it probably was. A who-can-smack-their-lips-the-loudest-and-gross-out-the-foreigner thang. American Filipino or not, still a foreigner to be played with. C'mon, no one ever played "train wreck" small kid time? Everyone did it. Wasn't limited to only one ethnic group and often brought a good knuckle up side the head.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
        I am amazed by the HUGE amounts of food that the Japanese are able to put in their mouths. And they seem to swallow those HUGE amounts of food whole, with barely a chew!

I would choke to death.
        It takes years of training.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          A few weeks ago or so there was a noodle-eating contest somewhere in Ala Moana shopping center. It was a promotional thing for a Japanese radio or TV station, I think. A local news clip showed the contestants, several pretty Japanese women, wolfing down enormous portions of noodles. Each contestant picked up about a cupful at a time with chopsticks, slammed it into her mouth---and then the whole blob disappeared in a nanosecond!

The very strangest things mesmerize me, sometimes.
          I don't know why, but that turns me on.

Since I no smoke, I better hit the cold shower.

We can be no louder than the office guy in the soup commercial.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Loudly is delicious...and best served well cooked.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              This article asks and attempts to research the question.

This "Ask" column, in a Florida paper, has drawn questions of cultural insensitivity for this and similar columns - such as ones on whether Japanese are "obsessed" with being in photographs.
              Originally posted by Pomai View Post

I personally have never observed noisy eating behavior (smacking lips) while dining with Filipino friends and family (by marriage). At least not enough to be noteworthy.

I asked a colleague who is from the Philippines this question, and she also hasn't heard of such a thing, in fact teaching her children the exact opposite - to eat quietly with your mouth closed.

This brings to mind that other topic about the Filipino boy being reprimanded in school for using both a fork and spoon to eat.
              could have been worse. the boy who was allegedly shovelling food into his mouth could have been doing so while smacking exceedingly noisily...using the GIGANTOR wooden fork and spoon hanging on the wall at his house...AND he coulda been eating pinapaitan, in its tripe-y, bile-y, other-organ-meat-y, soupy goodness.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                could have been worse. the boy who was allegedly shovelling food into his mouth could have been doing so while smacking exceedingly noisily...using the GIGANTOR wooden fork and spoon hanging on the wall at his house...AND he coulda been eating pinapaitan, in its tripe-y, bile-y, other-organ-meat-y, soupy goodness.
                Hui! Pissst!!!! Wat is wrrrooong with PINAPAITAN? dAS my favorite....I also like um with blood. It's called CINOCHAR!!

Masarap! Make plenty noise. slurp smack slurp smack...if somebody no like it...WHACK WHACK!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I don't remember anyone in my family eating loudly, but I do remember my Filipino Grampa using his lips and his tongue to loosen the rice from his teeth after a meal.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    I don't remember anyone in my family eating loudly, but I do remember my Filipino Grampa using his lips and his tongue to loosen the rice from his teeth after a meal.
                    Even if get toothpicks right on the table?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      Even if get toothpicks right on the table?
                      Toothpicks? What're those?

Comment

Das wai get long fingahnail on da pinky.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          Das wai get long fingahnail on da pinky.
                          Das good foah pickin' da nose, too.

Comment

Did you know that billions of eggs are thrown away annually simply because of improper packaging technology, they spoil or break when transported? It is amazing. I myself am the owner of a small farm, the main specialization of which is the production of eggs. To ensure that my products reach consumers in perfect condition, I use a paper egg tray machine
                            Thanks to this, my products remain fresh and whole all the time!

Comment

Working...
                            X