Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What foods make you feel better when you're sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What foods make you feel better when you're sick?

I just got over a flu (slept the whole day today - almost missed work), but when I got to work, they were serving Pizza Hut Pizza. The brand of pizza was important, because to me it just tastes better.

(and don't ask me why Walmart gave us pizza today)

How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What foods make you feel better when you're sick?

depends on what kinda sick.

if flu, fever, etc., i whine for eric to fetch me either korean tofu pot stew or korean chitlin stew, preferably from million, sorabol, or the one right next to femme nu, or menudo, preferably from el burrito 2 and with extra lime or lemon juice, or filipino chicken soup, preferably with marunggay leaves instead of papaya, but i'm only truly happy if my mom made it, and unfortunately, mom lives in oregon.

if i am having unhappy tummy and i'm at the stage where i can eat, then i want campbell's chicken noodle and crackers or something relatively bland like that.

if i've been sick and i'm well on the road to getting better, then i want what my gramma always cooks for me when i'm nearly recovered: her special, "naked" fried chicken seasoned only with salt, garlic powder, and pepper, and served with tomatoes and patis and rice. for me, no other chicken dish tastes better. i don't care if tyler florence made it for me.

cept my gramma died some years ago.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I'm not much of an eater when I'm sick. More a tea person.

Can't fault good 'ole Chicken Noodle Soup though. Miso soup is good too. Or Ramen.

I guess any hot liquid broth works.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

cambells chicken and stars. just so i can hold up the bowl and say 'its full of stars'
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Sorry, but only tea will do when I'm sick.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

7 Up and Soda crackers.
            My son always wants me to make rice pudding with cinnamon.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

1st, Korean seaweed soup and rice, then miso or homemade chicken soup. Anything with plenty salt especially if I have a sore throat. Jook or any simple rice gruel is also good. In a pinch, a large won ton min with vegetables from Shige's.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                I just got over a flu (slept the whole day today - almost missed work), but when I got to work, they were serving Pizza Hut Pizza. The brand of pizza was important, because to me it just tastes better.

(and don't ask me why Walmart gave us pizza today)

I like tea and toast. But after the flu you went to work? To start your own epidemic?
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

If the sickness involves chest or lung congestion, or affects my sinus, then Korean tofu soup. If it's just the blahs, then any kind of chicken soup, or miso for that matter.

Comment

The usual... chicken or miso soup, orange juice or lemonade, lots of soda crackers or saloon pilot crackers with peanut butter if I'm feeling adventurous. Noodle dishes in general, pho in particular, though it's rare to feel sick and be out and about (haven't perfected pho at home).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      The usual... chicken or miso soup, orange juice or lemonade, lots of soda crackers or saloon pilot crackers with peanut butter if I'm feeling adventurous. Noodle dishes in general, pho in particular, though it's rare to feel sick and be out and about (haven't perfected pho at home).
                      You gotta try that Vietnamese place at the Wahiawa SC. The owner will explain just what each green thang he puts in his pho is good for, then you can go out and look for the stuff to make at home. Personally, I can't eat their pho and found all their greens too bitter because of their medicinal qualities that I really didn't need at the time. I remember thinking why they couldn't just serve their pho with plain'ol bean sprouts and won bok or mustard cabbage and such. The wife and Mel weren't real impressed either.

Comment

Chazuke ....... and don't forget the "ume."

Comment

I can only eat Chicken Noodle Soup if I'm sick because eating it when I'm not sick reminds me of being sick. Jell-O and fresh fruits are great for the flu - they come back up tasting better and make the whole upchucking process a tad better (a cold peach tastes like peach cobbler - no joke - gross story behind how I found this out, tho). Miso Soup and tea usually is what we have on hand - I get the bag of instant Miso Soup from Costco with like 40 pouches in it so I can make tea and soup at the same time. If I have a sore throat, it's chamomile tea for me. Mom used to give me 7up and crackers so sometimes that's what I'll eat, too, but I'll eat that when I'm not sick haha.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            lemonade, lots of soda crackers or saloon pilot crackers with peanut butter
                            I have never heard of lemonade when you are sick.
                            But it makes perfect sense to me. Don't know why I never heard of it before.

Does it upset your tummy??
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I do NOT look foward when getting sick cause it SUCKS!

To get over whatever I am plagued with its the basic three.....

1. DRINK ORANGE JUICE if Possible!
                              2. SOUP! SOUP! SOUP! I always go for Progresso or Market Pantry aka the Target Brand
                              3. Hot Tea! Celestial is my personal fave or Starbucks will do...

Always works for me and its not goin to be overnite cuz there is a process where ya gonna feel crappy for a couple of days. Right now I am getting over mines which I am sooooooooooooo GLAD!

and oh yeah LOTS OF REST!

Comment

Working...
                              X