Favorite Grocery Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Grocery Store

Where's yours? Why? Convenience? Price? Selection? Customer service? Policies? The attractive people that shop or work there?

Due to the 10 selection limit, the poll provided only lists the larger chains in Hawaii. Yet if applicable, check "other" and tell us where you shop in your neck of the woods.

Others that come to mind may be:
    • Palama Market (Korean)
    • Pacific Market (Asian in general)
    • Marukai (Japanese)
    • Tamura's (Oahu west-side)
    • KTA (Big Island)
    • Big Save (Kauai)
    • Down to Earth (health)
    • Umeke Market (health)
    • Chinatown
    Costco
    17.14%
    Don Quijote
    17.14%
    Foodland (Sack'N'Save, Food Pantry)
    22.86%
    Safeway
    11.43%
    Sam's Club
    5.71%
    Star Market
    2.86%
    Times
    11.43%
    Other (please post with details)
    11.43%
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite Grocery Store

Tamura's in Waianae is my fave. For your basic "mom 'n pop" operation, it can't be beat. I think the sign out front still reads "Tamura's Superette"! Definitely not fancy, narrow aisles, a bit long in the tooth, about 1/6 the size of Safeway or Foodland...but the prices just can't be beat! As an example, Adams natural peanut butter is $4.xx at Safeway and $2.xx at Tamura's.

I'm sure on the super-duper, bohemoth size grocery items, Costco beats Tamura's on an ounce by ounce comparison however, unlike Costco, Tamura's carries normal sizes and you can buy just one if ya like!

I heard that the original Grocery Outlet in Waianae didn't survive there due to the loyalty to Tamura's. That doesn't surprise me. Bigway closed prior to Grocery Outlet leasing the same space. I often wonder how the Waianae Store stays open.

The long closed gas station on the same property has recently been cleared. Dunno if Tamura's is going to add on to the store or add more parking.

Comment

While I was still on the islands I was fortunate to shopped at all the stores listed except Donki or whatevas they call themselves now...
      It will still be Daiei to me.

As for the following only in Hawaii....

Foodland - I loooooved the "Mai'kai" card and always searched high and low for items on sale! It is the waaaay to go!

Tamura's - Theee best place if you happen to be down Waianae Coast side and their prices are really REALLY competitive! Ya really can stretch your dollars there!

Now down here in the Bay Area....

Albertson's - Ok place kinda like Times Supermarket in a way. They have their Albertsons card that helps ya save money on sale items..

Costco - Good place to stock up on groceries

Dragers - A specialty Store kinda on the little expensive side. One of their locations is just up the street from where I am at.
      Good to get some knick knacks but I don't do my grocery shopping here regualrly.

Safeway - I like them and I always manage to get the goods on sale items and yesh! SAFEWAY Club Card and your telephone # acts as a card that deducts your total. I love seeing it go down on the screen. Would love to see it go little little more

Smart & Final A scaled down version of Costco where ya don't have to flash your ID to get in and have someone check your receipt when ya go.

Whole Foods - Very popular here and specialize on healthier products but kinda on the expensive end.

So no preference for me.... I just go wea da sales are at!

Comment

Don Quijote is the one I go to most simply because it's close to where I live. Also, prices are very low, selection is good (especially Asian items), and it's open 24 hours. It's convenient for me; it's my "basics" store. But I do like to go to Foodland Beretania every now and then for other more gourmet selections (bread, wine and cheese, for example).

Comment

I go to whoever has what I need. For bread, I go to Don Quixote in Pearl City. I go there when the Andagi Guy is there also. Kill 2 birds with one stone? <LOL>

Tamuras for Mex or very ethnic and local stuffs.

Safeway for soft drinks, 2 fers and 10 fers, bathroom tissure and paper towels.

Foodland has most of what we need and they're right up the street. I always check their meat bargain bin for stew meat, chops and steaks. I usually find something we can use at less than half price. Milk, veggies and fruits are usually competitively priced so no need shop around.

For eggs, we try to get up to the Peterson Farm, but will buy them at Foodland if gotta.

Costco for household bulk items like ziplock bags, kitchen and garbage bags, laundry detergent, bleach and fabric softener sheets. Also coffee, creamer, sweetener, boxed juice for Mel's home lunches and cold cuts and hotdogs. We don't buy bulk produce or fresh meats unless get party. Poho just for us cause some ends up getting thrown out for spoilage.

We kinda spread it out a bit.

Comment

Last time I was on island, we went to Safeway in Kailua, as well as Daiei (Sp?) which I guess used to be Don Quixote (?)

Safeway was great for us because here in SoCal Von's and Pavilion's are both owned by Safeway, and carry all the Safeway stuff. So familiarity was nice. Daiei was fun, alot more asian stuff, and the milk was cheaper than Safeway, which was right next door.

It's always fun to hit supermarkets you've in places you've never been before, they're all a little different.

I know I must shopped ar Tamuras when I stayed in Makaha too.

Here at home, we do Von's mostly, sometimes Albertsons and Pavilions (basically VON'S but more "fancy) - so, I guess we're pretty much Safeway shoppers.

Also Trader Joe's which is GREAT (they currently have Tikis on their paper bags, which is a plus for me :-) . They have really unusual stuff there, and it's almost always 20-25% cheaper than the big chain supermarkets.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              [...] I know I must shopped ar Tamuras when I stayed in Makaha too.[...]
              Also Trader Joe's which is GREAT (they currently have Tikis on their paper bags, which is a plus for me :-) . They have really unusual stuff there, and it's almost always 20-25% cheaper than the big chain supermarkets.
              Tamura's is on the mauka side of Farrington Hwy., a coupla driveways away from the post office. If you went to a market on the makai side, a little bit closer to McDonalds, that's the Waianae Store.

I have dreams about Trader Joe's opening on Oahu. But, alas, it appears that dreams will be as close as I get. Whatta great store.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Tamura's is on the mauka side of Farrington Hwy., a coupla driveways away from the post office. If you went to a market on the makai side, a little bit closer to McDonalds, that's the Waianae Store.

I have dreams about Trader Joe's opening on Oahu. But, alas, it appears that dreams will be as close as I get. Whatta great store.
                I'm pretty sure i was there....a little deli counter in front right ?

I remember this place because I had one of those incidents there where your walking down an isle and a person is coming the other way, and you both try to get out of each other's way but keep moving in the same direction, back and forth....In this instance, the person was HUGE local guy, and after we couldn't negotiate ourselves past each other, he put his giant hands on my shoulders and moved me out of the way...in a friendly way...it was really funny...

I always think of this when people go on about how dangerous Makaha and Waianae are if you're a haole....I had no problems there :-)
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Are there any IGAs left in Hawaii - we used to shop at on in Haleiwa when I was little.
                  Looking for an old friend Nathan Bellinger, appreciate any help.

Comment

Times for convenience... its a 5 min walk from my house. Foodland for the poke and raw crab. Costco for the tri-tips and various bulk stuff like TP.

Comment

The snack food aisles at TRADER JOES = very addictive

Comment

In my neck of the woods (Oregon) there is WINCO, we used to shop there the most.
                        Not the nicest of stores or cleanest but best prices.

BUT now we have WalMart with the Super Centers so we grocery shop there. And I use Trader Joes alot and Whole Foods too.

WalMart is strictly convenience because it is closest to me and cheapest. Everything else is about 15 - 20 minutes away.
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          I'm pretty sure i was there....a little deli counter in front right ?
                          Yep! That's the place.
                          I remember this place because I had one of those incidents there where your walking down an isle and a person is coming the other way, and you both try to get out of each other's way but keep moving in the same direction, back and forth....In this instance, the person was HUGE local guy, and after we couldn't negotiate ourselves past each other, he put his giant hands on my shoulders and moved me out of the way...in a friendly way...it was really funny...
                          The aisles barely allow for 2 carts to pass each other. Shoulda asked the guy to dance! That's what I do!
                          I always think of this when people go on about how dangerous Makaha and Waianae are if you're a haole....I had no problems there :-)
                          I hear ya! Me either!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            You're right on all counts, Tutu. Sadly, TJ's has already firmly declined to open in Hawai`i.

On the other hand, there is one piece of good news to report -- Costco is finally going to open an Express Lane!

100 items or less.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I don't know if Costco counts as a grocery store (unless Safeway started carrying 42" plasma TVs), but it's my vote, as it's where we stock up each week. With three kids, there's no way we could afford to keep this family fed at Star Market prices. Whenever we run out of something and have to run over to Mililani Town Center, my wallet aches.

Comment

Working...
                              X