• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellbent
    replied
    Re: Home Cooked Steak

Method 1:
    Find small end ribeye.
    Melt oil and butter in pan, turn to high heat.
    Season steak with fresh pepper, garlic salt, shoyu.
    Place in pan, add splash of worchetshire.
    Sear both sides, turn down heat til desired bloodiness.

Optional step: remove steak midway, turn heat to med-high, add 1/4 cup worshetshire and reduce til its thick. re-add steak and finish cooking.
    Optional: Sauteed mushrooms or grilled onions

Method 2 (for cheaper cuts of meat)
    Marinate steak for a few hours in 1c shoyu, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1tbsp honey, some chopped green onions, 1 tsp sriracha sauce. Grill or Fry

bonus points: top with that sweet-hot chili sauce or that (filipino?) vinegar/onion/suger sauce

I found some cedar planks at walmart, so this weekend i'm going to try to make cedar plank steak on the grill. I had some at Emril's in Vegas a few years ago and it was ono!

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

Seasoned with minced garlic, black pepper, grilled to medium rare. Served with sauteed mushrooms and Maui onions. 1 to 1-1/2" strip loin (NY steak), T-bone, porterhouse, sirloin, bone-in rib, ribe eye (Spencer, Delmonico), in no particular order.

Leave a comment:

• Hilo Artist
    replied

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
    I'm a purist (sort-of).

1. Outdoor grill
    2. Salt
    3. Pepper
    4. Garlic powder

High flame on a hot grill to seer both sides, then lower the flame cooking to Medium/Medium rare.

BTW: Is the beef on the BI good quality/inexpensive due to Parker Ranch being right there?

As for the beef here on BI, I think it's the same as everywhere else. We have the Safeway mainland variety as well as Big Island grain fed. Food here on BI is very inexpensive compared to other islands I have been to recently.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Anykine cut, rub it generously with crushed garlic then sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and lots of black pepper. Sear it over hot coals till med rare. Pau.
    Exacto mundo!!! But in my case, I fry it in Hot oil den add fresh mushrooms and Maui onions.

Mouth watering....NOW STOP IT!

I'm hungry and no moa steak in my ice-box!

I gotta wait till my grandson come den I can go store.heheheh

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Anykine cut, rub it generously with crushed garlic then sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and lots of black pepper. Sear it over hot coals till med rare. Pau.

Leave a comment:

• tikiyaki
    replied

On the GRILL baby !

A little garlic salt, red wine poured over top while cooking.

Serve it up with sautee'd cremimi mushrooms, sautee'd in garlic, olive oil, red wine and dry basil....

Heaven

Leave a comment:

• hedkikr
    replied

I'm a purist (sort-of).

1. Outdoor grill
    2. Salt
    3. Pepper
    4. Garlic powder

High flame on a hot grill to seer both sides, then lower the flame cooking to Medium/Medium rare.

BTW: Is the beef on the BI good quality/inexpensive due to Parker Ranch being right there?

Leave a comment:

• dallascat70
    replied

all time favorite!

Get ribeyes THICK

bring some veg oil to almost smoke point-toss in halved jalapenos and garlic cloves,brown them suckers

stuff in steaks or just crush on top in large baking pan, (salt and peeper of course) add a can of beer and marinate-cook to your liking -hey some like it hot! and the others just suck :P

oops and GRILLL
    Last edited by dallascat70; May 2, 2007, 12:54 AM. Reason: Cause i forgot not everyone was on Hawaii to know to grill 24/7

Leave a comment:

• Hilo Artist
    replied

Outside on the grill!

I love it when the wife marinates the leaner cuts and makes London Broil in the oven. English style adobo!

Leave a comment:

• blueyecicle
    replied

If I am making steak than I usually make steak and Fettucine Alfredo.
    I lay the steak on some foil and salt, garlic, and throw a little pepper and butter on it. And a splash of Wort. sauce and I broil it...HIGH heat! in the oven just for a few minutes then I flip it.

We likes our steaks bloody in this house!
    If it's still moo~ing, it's perfect! j/k

We like it crispy on the outside and bloody in the middle.

Oh and I throw onions on it too for flavor. Usually the sweet yellow kind. depends on what I have in the garden.

But I also have made it this way.
    I soaked it all day in 1/2 OJ and 1/2 BBQ sauce or terryaki marinade. Then I grill it outside. I like that the best.

Leave a comment:

• nikki
    started a topic Home Cooked Steak

Home Cooked Steak

What's your favorite way to prepare steak at home? How do you season?

I usually fry mine medium rare in a cast iron grill, seasoned with pepper, garlic powder, and worcestershire. I add a little butter after it's done. Sometimes I fry onions and mushrooms.

I prefer hibachi, but it's easier to do it over the stove.

How do you guys cooks yours? I need some ideas!
Working...
X