Let's Do Lunch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Do Lunch!

While this is awfully late notice, I thought I'd mention that some folks from S.K. Chai's eGullet Hawaii food forum are meeting up for a fun, talkstory lunch today at the South Shore Grill on Monsarrat (near Diamond Head). Here's a map, and here's a review of the eatery, and here's the original lunch thread.

As I've mentioned to S.K. Chai, there's just something about local food and online communities that mix well together. And while HawaiiThreads.com is relatively new, I certainly don't think we need a much better excuse than local-kine grinds to venture into "meatspace" (no pun intended). If you can't make this one, without a doubt, there'll be more -- HawaiiThreads.com and eGullet Hawaii together would make a heck of a party.

There's also Burt "Quark" Lum's monthly Bytemarks geeks' lunch... the next one is on Thursday, Sept. 23 in the open courtyard of the YWCA on Richards Street downtown.

And nothing says we can't meet up on our own!

Re: Let's Do Lunch!

Originally posted by pzarquon
    While this is awfully late notice, I thought I'd mention that some folks from S.K. Chai's eGullet Hawaii food forum are meeting up for a fun, talkstory lunch today at the South Shore Grill on Monsarrat (near Diamond Head). Here's a map, and here's a review of the eatery, and here's the original lunch thread.
    Ryan:
    If you go to that eGullet thingie, can you ask when they plan to open up membership again? When I went to the main website it said they were revamping the membership levels, etc. and to try back later...later when???

Mahalo,
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just got back! I posted smudgy camera phone pictures at my moblog (and detailed what I ate in the "What's for lunch today?" thread). Lots of talk about food, and about everything else, too!

Turns out the family of local food-focused sites is pretty close-knit! One of the women there is behind HawaiiDiner.com, an online magazine. Between eGullet, HawaiiDiner.com, and HawaiiThreads.com (and its sister sites), there's definitely room for a regular lunch social. Anyone interested?

As for membership at eGullet.com, I don't really know. I don't think Sun-Ki Chai is privvy to that kind of detail, either. Their relaunch announcement says 2-3 weeks, so I'd hope by the end of the month, you'd be able to get in. Of course, nothing's stopping anyone from getting some good food talk going here!

Comment

"There's also Burt "Quark" Lum's monthly Bytemarks geeks' lunch... the next one is on Thursday, Sept. 23 in the open courtyard of the YWCA on Richards Street downtown."

At what time? Do you plan to be there, Ryan?
        Is it by invitation only?

Comment

We generally start coagulating at around 11:30 a.m., but folks tend to drift in and out throughout. I have a conflict right now for Thursday, it turns out, but I'm trying to reschedule... sometimes regularly getting out of my cubicle is the only way to ensure mental stability!

These gatherings are open to anyone and everyone, provided they're willing to forgive a general geek slant to the conversation. That said, we don't just talk tech. Politics, movies, food... like any other gathering of locals, online or off!

I've actually brought you up in conversation a few times, so I'm sure folks would love to meet you!

Comment

Zarquon is right - I'm not privy to such things. They're transitioning into Invision Power Board ver. 2.0, simultaneously with the product itself easing itself out of beta testing. So they're still fiddling with some of the features and disabling others, and I'm sure the membership list is the last thing they'll bring back up. Maybe a vBulletin vs. Invision discussion at some point?

Bytemarks lunch is a great institutions. . .
            Sun-Ki Chai
            崔勝基 (최승기)
            sunki@hawaii.edu
            www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Comment

Just a heads up to chatty downtown geeks, Burt "Quark" Lum's monthly BYOG (bring your own grinds) lunch gathering at the YWCA is taking place this Thursday. Brown bag it or order something from Cafe Laniakea, and join the wide-ranging conversation!

Comment

So when is the next Bytemarks lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  So when is the next Bytemarks lunch?
                  Today! YWCA courtyard at about 11:30 a.m. Might just be me, but one geek still makes for a geek lunch, right?

Comment

Can I assume that the Bytemarks lunch event is held on the last Thursday of the month?

Comment

Usually, but it is rescheduled if availability is a problem for the usual attendees or if something else big and tech related conflicts. Even I've goofed up on occasion, with the meeting moved to a Wednesday and me showing up on Tuesday instead.

You should just sign up with the Bytemarks mailing list, which includes meeting reminders, along with some generally interesting but sporadic tech talk.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Between eGullet, HawaiiDiner.com, and HawaiiThreads.com (and its sister sites), there's definitely room for a regular lunch social. Anyone interested?
                        Did I "hear" the word lunch??? I'd be interested! I'm just not sure I can guarantee making it until the last minute though...my job can be quite frustrating in that regard! I have a better chance ot making it if the lunch is later as opposed to earlier too.

Comment

shame it wasnt before i go home that day
                          *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                          http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Good news! Today is the monthly "Bytemarks" gathering of geeks at the YWCA downtown. Find Burt in the Laniakea courtyard at 11:30. (Even better news? I won't be there, as everyone in this house is being flattened by a nasty bug.) Bring a lunch, your best tech story and your newest gadget, and enjoy the talkstory!

Comment

Anyone downtown ever up for a spontaneous, casual, talkstory lunch, let me know. While I've done better at bringing lunch from home and saving money, I'm also feeling a bit of cabin fever and am trying to force myself to leave the building now and then!

Comment

Working...
                              X