healthy & salty. Oxymoron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• healthy & salty. Oxymoron?

Ok, Tune up time at the doc's office and the results aren't good. Things that weren't a problem before are now a problem, and things that were a problem before aren't getting anybetter. Cholesterol is up to 280. That's the new one. Triglycerides are pushing 700. That's hasn't gotten better. I've been given Tricor (a higher dose this time) and Zetia. I'm 5'-10", 229lbs. Obese by most doctor's office standards. I've really let myself go since my wedding October 05 when I weighed 185.

But I digress... the real reason I posted this here is that I'm wondering if there's such thing as a healty snack that's salty. I mean sure there are plenty of healthy fruits and veggies I can snack on but the problem is I don't have a sweet tooth. I have a salty tooth. My sodium levels are fine so I'm not worried (yet) about my salt intake. Any ideas? Olives? Are olives healthy?

Edit: I just remembered that nuts are healthy to snack on but unless I want a gout attack, I best stay away from them
    Last edited by Kungpao; June 14, 2007, 04:34 AM.
    -kp!

Re: healthy & salty. Oxymoron?

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
    Ok, Tune up time at the doc's office and the results aren't good. Things that weren't a problem before are now a problem, and things that were a problem before aren't getting anybetter. Cholesterol is up to 280. That's the new one. Triglycerides are pushing 700. That's hasn't gotten better. I've been given Tricor (a higher dose this time) and Zetia. I'm 5'-10", 229lbs. Obese by most doctor's office standards. I've really let myself go since my wedding October 05 when I weighed 185.

But I digress... the real reason I posted this here is that I'm wondering if there's such thing as a healty snack that's salty. I mean sure there are plenty of healthy fruits and veggies I can snack on but the problem is I don't have a sweet tooth. I have a salty tooth. My sodium levels are fine so I'm not worried (yet) about my salt intake. Any ideas? Olives? Are olives healthy?

Edit: I just remembered that nuts are healthy to snack on but unless I want a gout attack, I best stay away from them
    You've got to start exercising if you aren't already. There really is no substitute. I'm not a skinny person, but since I started exercising on a regular basis earlier this year my cholesterol has dropped nearly 30% and my blood pressure is back into a healthy range. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel great and my body is healthier. I didn't want to take medication so I was motivated to exercise. If you are already exercising, keep with it.

Regarding salty snacks, I have a similar preference for crunchy salty foods. One of the best things to eat (in moderation, of course) are the super thin low salt pretzels - I think they call them pretzel sticks. Nuts are excellent sources of all sorts of good nutrients. If you don't go crazy and eat the entire can, bag, etc., you can enjoy most anything and stay within healthy guidelines.
    Last edited by glossyp; June 14, 2007, 06:43 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Kungpao

I came from almost the same weight as you are from back in 2003! Your height and weight are almost similar to me ,only I'm an inch shorter that you are.

Back in 2003, I put myself on a strict diet and exercise program and came down from 210lbs to 153 lbs my high school weight. I have since been yoyoing in my weight as my metabolism is very slow and I gain way to easy.

I have never gone back up to the 200 lbs mark since , but came pretty close this past Holidays. I went up to around 185 to 190. So I started a diet & exercise program from this past January until May and ended back down to weighing 151 lb.

I am 42 years old and finding it more difficult to maintain as I age. My wife keeps on making high fat foods for dinner and bringing home chocolates and snacks that are hard to resist.

Another problem for me is all these Parties that I am invited to. My schedule for parties this summer is crazy! Every weekend I have at least two to attend to!. Graduation, Weddings, Baby parties! Yikes all with good food and also high in fat too how can I maintain my newly achived sleek body?

The sodium in moderation is alright but too much will hinder your weight loss and make you retain water.

When I was a bodybuilder back in the 80's sodium was our biggest enemy. It prevented the definition from showing and made us look bloated.

I tried Potasium salt, You can get the Morton brand and it doesnt contain any sodium or will make you retain water.

If you are craving salt, most likely your water intake may be low. Drink at least 8 glasses a day . I do a gallon and a half as I sweat it out running on my tredmill. One old rule for bodybuilding, the more water you put in your body, the more will come out!

If you need any tips on diet recipes, I have so much I created on my own!

We have only one body, might as well treat it like a high performance vehicle!

Layne

Comment

Try 1/2 scoop rice. That's one-half scoop. 2 scoop rice is a killer.

And of course, I concur. There is no substitute for exercise. Try kill your TV.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Try 1/2 scoop rice. That's one-half scoop. 2 scoop rice is a killer.

And of course, I concur. There is no substitute for exercise. Try kill your TV.
          Or put your TV in front of your tredmill like I did and run! I have a 60 inch Sony that makes running on a boring tredmill a little easier!
          Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 14, 2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Poor Layne: A handsome guy getting invited to parties all the time! If you didn't struggle with your weight, I'd think you were some kind of immortal.

I like salty and savory better than sweet any time. Pot roast? Turkey with gravy? Shrimp any style? Pho? Come to mama. Cookies, birthday cake and brownies? Couldn't care less.

The one exception is damn good chocolate--70-percent cacao. I've got one right here. I eat like 1/4 or 1/3 of it a day. My one conviction is to no longer eat something that is tasteless or lousy for the sake of eating. I also exercise every day. As I am in my late 40s, the battle of the bulge is a daily occurrence and as a result, so is exercise.

That new diet drug Allie, that will be available in Costco and other places? I read a story where they recommend you have a spare pair of pants and panties along. Because it blocks fat, it makes your poopoos runny. Man, I'd rather take another cardio class than have to worry about THAT!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              Poor Layne: A handsome guy getting invited to parties all the time! If you didn't struggle with your weight, I'd think you were some kind of immortal.

I like salty and savory better than sweet any time. Pot roast? Turkey with gravy? Shrimp any style? Pho? Come to mama. Cookies, birthday cake and brownies? Couldn't care less.

The one exception is damn good chocolate--70-percent cacao. I've got one right here. I eat like 1/4 or 1/3 of it a day. My one conviction is to no longer eat something that is tasteless or lousy for the sake of eating. I also exercise every day. As I am in my late 40s, the battle of the bulge is a daily occurrence and as a result, so is exercise.

That new diet drug Allie, that will be available in Costco and other places? I read a story where they recommend you have a spare pair of pants and panties along. Because it blocks fat, it makes your poopoos runny. Man, I'd rather take another cardio class than have to worry about THAT!
              Chocolates are my weakness! It is my drug and has some kind of hidden stimulant in it! I swear those Big Island Candies are laced with something addictive in it!

I have to stop my chocolate addiction as both my parents have begining stages of diabetes! My grandfather even was plagued by it in his last days!

Moderation is the key, a little chocolate here and there shouldnt hurt, would it? But then again this thread is about SALT!
              Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 14, 2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Oh yes.. Excersise. I definitely agree there. Before the wedding, I was fortunate enough to live in an apt bldg with a small excersise room which had a universal in it. I loved going there early in the morning before work.

I'm not looking for cure all food by any stretch, I just thought I'd arm myself with knowlege for those craving moments. My swiss ball and dumbells and I have several dates lined up. I miss the universal though, my supersets worked great and had my heartrate going nicely.

As for the water thing, I drink plenty of it. It's my way of getting up and away from my PC here at work. Between getting water, and going to the bathroom, I get lots of needed time for my eyes to stop staring at the screen too...

Layne, that potassium salt sounds interesting, I think I'll poke around my local grocery and see what i can drudge up. Thanks for the tip! I totally forgot that salt would cause me to bloat. I've sort of relied on caffeine to be my OTC diruetic (sp?) for the bloat.

BTW, can't run. Not yet anyway. I've got to start walking first. Bad tendons/muscles/ligaments (not sure) in my ankles and they've got to be stretched out. My last stress test nearly killed my ankles. I could barely walk afterwards. It wasn't the shortness of breath that got me... it was the ankles.
                -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                  Chocolates are my weakness!
                  See my post in the Favorite Candy thread.
                  -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                    Oh yes.. Excersise. I definitely agree there. Before the wedding, I was fortunate enough to live in an apt bldg with a small excersise room which had a universal in it. I loved going there early in the morning before work.

I'm not looking for cure all food by any stretch, I just thought I'd arm myself with knowlege for those craving moments. My swiss ball and dumbells and I have several dates lined up. I miss the universal though, my supersets worked great and had my heartrate going nicely.

As for the water thing, I drink plenty of it. It's my way of getting up and away from my PC here at work. Between getting water, and going to the bathroom, I get lots of needed time for my eyes to stop staring at the screen too...

Layne, that potassium salt sounds interesting, I think I'll poke around my local grocery and see what i can drudge up. Thanks for the tip! I totally forgot that salt would cause me to bloat. I've sort of relied on caffeine to be my OTC diruetic (sp?) for the bloat.

BTW, can't run. Not yet anyway. I've got to start walking first. Bad tendons/muscles/ligaments (not sure) in my ankles and they've got to be stretched out. My last stress test nearly killed my ankles. I could barely walk afterwards. It wasn't the shortness of breath that got me... it was the ankles.
                    Ah you got bad ankles. Upper body work may do you good. I once had an injury from training which prevented me from running. I did a lot of upper body movement which brought up the heart rate. Stationary bike is also great as it takes the stress off of your joints too!

For upper body work, I use a boxers speed bag and punching bag which gets the heart rate up. I do it for about 25 minutes and like a boxer 3 minutes then take a 30 second break in between.

I also like Winsor Pilates and follow this great ab and midsection DVD I got. Cant forget Hatha yoga for the flexibility and flow in our bodies!

Now well into my 40's, I did away with the heavy weights of my bodybuilding days and got myself a bowflex machine. Much nicer on the tendons and joints! No need for big muscles anymore.

Comment

Ooops double post!
                      Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 14, 2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Heres a true to life before and after. No drugs or pills, just good old fashion working out and eating right!

Weighed 210 lbs. ate steaks, Hawaiian food, and black forrest cakes with cherries, and also my wife's Blueberrie pies! Also hung around the buffet! I was a true Blalah and Braddah Moke!

At age 42 June 2007, weighed 153 lbs ,9 percent body fat a six pack! I will be following the body for life plans as it allows you to eat anything on the weekends! Sexy enough to pose in my BVD's! LOL! I live by the saying " 40's are the new 30's"

This picturre was taken back in 1987 when I was a bodybuilder.
                        Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 14, 2007, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I have exactly the same issues ~ love salt!!! I found these at Trader Joes, http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=2271 don't know if you have one near you but these are really good. My daughter spent a month at spa retreat and these are what they snacked on (for the salt people). Also, remember that processed foods are where the "bad salt" is, if you stick to sea salt you are ok. I use sea salt a lot when I cook and my sodium levels are normal but I stay away from almost all processed foods ~ except soy chips... Also chocolate that is more than 80% has lots of antioxidants in it so it's not quite as bad as the chocolate with less coco. Btw olives have lots of calories (love them!!) as well as nuts (nuts are probably my favorite food) so I don't buy them except for a special treat because I can't control myself when I start to eat them...

[COLOR=black]Hilo Artist ~ looking great!!! I'm inspired ~ one of the reasons I'm moving to Hawaii is to get my body back in shape ~ gained a lot of weight when I moved back from Jamaica, it's all about life style...[/COLOR]

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                            I have exactly the same issues ~ love salt!!! I found these at Trader Joes, http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=2271 don't know if you have one near you but these are really good. My daughter spent a month at spa retreat and these are what they snacked on (for the salt people). Also, remember that processed foods are where the "bad salt" is, if you stick to sea salt you are ok. I use sea salt a lot when I cook and my sodium levels are normal but I stay away from almost all processed foods ~ except soy chips... Also chocolate that is more than 80% has lots of antioxidants in it so it's not quite as bad as the chocolate with less coco. Btw olives have lots of calories (love them!!) as well as nuts (nuts are probably my favorite food) so I don't buy them except for a special treat because I can't control myself when I start to eat them...

[COLOR=black]Hilo Artist ~ looking great!!! I'm inspired ~ one of the reasons I'm moving to Hawaii is to get my body back in shape ~ gained a lot of weight when I moved back from Jamaica, it's all about life style...[/color]

GreenTara

Thanks you for the nice comments!
                            When you move to Hawaii, beware as the food here is so good but high in calories. Lots of rice wherever you go.

I did notice that of all places in our State, when I go to the Kona side of our island, Everyone there seems to be in great physical shape! They all have these nice tans and low body fat! I can;t understand it? Once you get to our side of the island in Hilo, everyone is less tanned and more bulky looking! Guys with pot beliies and girls with the same and big hips LOL! Ooops now I cant leave my house, Lets get that Artist guy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                              GreenTara

Thanks you for the nice comments!
                              When you move to Hawaii, beware as the food here is so good but high in calories. Lots of rice wherever you go.

Thanks for the tip...

Guys with pot beliies and girls with the same and big hips LOL! Ooops now I cant leave my house, Lets get that Artist guy!!!!
                              LOL ~ carefull now you might become the villian for that statement...BTW Are you using hips as a euphemism for butts…

Sorry for being of "salt" topic but do you think that there is a socio economic connection between weight and money ~ is most of the money on the Kona side?? My sister lives near Hilo and she says the same thing...
                              Last edited by greentara; June 14, 2007, 01:01 PM.
                              "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Working...
                              X