Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by Miulang
    They are the new wave of immigrants to Hawai'i.
    Where they gonna live?

<eek! running away fast>

Comment

Re: &quot;Authentic&quot; Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      As alot of readers know... I came from the Northwest...
      Me, too! Do you remember Campos in the U. District in Seattle? My mom and one of my sisters and I would go there when Dad was away on business. It was our "girls' night out." That would have been ... let's see, maybe in about 1972-1977, something like that? I'm pretty bad on remembering dates, but I think it was somewhere in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        Where they gonna live?

<eek! running away fast>
        Wherever they end up living, you can bet it won't be as a single family in a single family home with a yard! It'll probably be more like multiple families (and/or generations) in a single family home (if they're lucky), just like when the other first generation immigrants landed in Hawai'i: multiple families working hard for what little they have, pooling their resources so they can make better lives for their keiki.

Miulang

BTW: Maddie, I found the following Letter to the Editor of the Seattle Times from one of the sons of the owners of Campos:

"History lessons

Maria Luz Lara Lopes ("Grand Dames," May 9) did not open "the city's first authentic Mexican restaurant" in Seattle. My parents called her Lucy when she worked for them at their Mexican restaurant: Campos Mexican Restaurant in the University District. Some of her food was based on my parents' and uncle's recipes. My father will send you articles from The Seattle Times that talk about their restaurant way before Lucy ever started a Mexican restaurant in this area. ...

My father and uncle were well known as being the experts in Mexican food back in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Besides running their restaurant, they supervised a large exhibit/booth at the Seattle World's Fair serving Mexican food.

— Marcos E. Campos, Brier "
        Last edited by Miulang; March 27, 2006, 10:07 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mexican restaurant on Kam Hwy in Wahiawa just over the bridge is junk. Too much chiles. Too hot to taste. I only saw non-Mexicans eating there when we went.

Y'all missed one of the best for they have closed. Los Tres Compadres was located in Wahiawa Shopping Center and had the best homestyle Mexican food I've tasted locally. They ran a buffet lunch and dinner everyday for around $8 as well as serving menu items. The owner rarely used chiles in his food and more than half his clientele were Mexican families, local and military. When our boyz got sent to Iraq, he lost most of his business and the locals just couldn't keep him afloat. Sure hope he opens up another shop.

Going to have to look up La Familia. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
            I only saw non-Mexicans eating there when we went.
            well, that's the pits...
            In that case, I would not go near it.

Comment

Up here I see lots of Hispanic people eating at the Chinese buffets!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Never feed Mexican food to a baby. And here's why: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TH0rS4hyJzg

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Mama's Mexican Kitchen! Every time I hear of the place I cry!

BroKimo, I know you know the recipe foa da Chile Verde. Please. I beg ya! Nobody makes um like Mama's Mexican Kitchen.

Ahhh...I wish I had an authentic Taco right now! Or a Gorilla Burrito. (No, not a gorilla walk like dey do in Prison!)

Mexican Food? I'm a sucker for Mexican Food. Authentic Mexican Food!

Auntie Alohilani Anani
                  (das my new name)
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

How about Diego's Taco Shop? One on Kam Hwy in PC and another on King Street near Isenberg. Their food is inexpensive and delicious.

I used to eat at Mama's weekly. Loved their taquitos and salsa.

I go to LA Thursday and will make a bee line to my favorite taco shop there - Tito's Tacos in Culver City (Washington near Sepulveda). The best salsa I've ever had.

Tacos are maybe $1.30 each. Three fill me up. They also are generous with chips. Don't be afraid of the huge lines. It moves fast.

In San Diego, my favorite place is El Indio's. (India near Grape Street). They make their own tortillas. Taquitos with guacamole and cheese. Yum. I'll be there Sunday.

Comment

The best tacos I had was in San Diego. A little hole in the wall place that served them over the counter in a little white bag. As you eat them, the bag would catch all the grease drippings. Only problem with that place was location. My host warned me to keep an eye out on the street. Lots of drive by shootings in that neighborhood. If I heard tires screeching around the corner, I was to hit the deck. It was also a good thing my host lived only a couple of blocks away. The greasy tacos lubed everything from the going in end to the going out end.

Just came back from an early dinner at La Familia. No raves. Our daughter couldn't even eat the kids taco. Was too spicy. Had the chile verde. Heat was borderline, for me. Almost too much. Taste was good, but I've had better. No raves from the wife over her order of enchiladas. Most other places we've been to included a side of flour or corn tortillas with the meal. None here. For us, it's not good enough for a return visit. No arguments from me if someone else loves the place. Just different strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                        I go to LA Thursday and will make a bee line to my favorite taco shop there - Tito's Tacos in Culver City (Washington near Sepulveda). The best salsa I've ever had.

Tacos are maybe $1.30 each. Three fill me up. They also are generous with chips. Don't be afraid of the huge lines. It moves fast.

In San Diego, my favorite place is El Indio's. (India near Grape Street). They make their own tortillas. Taquitos with guacamole and cheese. Yum. I'll be there Sunday.
                        Tito's Tacos is pretty good. King Taco (especially the one on Cesar Chavez Ave.) is quite good as well. For the San Diego area, I like the tacos al pastor at Porkyland in La Jolla. The best Mexican restaurant on the Big Island is probably Luquin's in Pāhoa.
                        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

hot spicy mexican food.
                          whoda thunk it.

Comment

BTW: Maddie, I found the following Letter to the Editor of the Seattle Times from one of the sons of the owners of Campos:
                            Hey, Miulang, how cool is that? Thanks! I didn't know any of that. I just liked the food, which really stands out in my memory. Now I have some backstory. Mahalos!
                            Last edited by MadAzza; March 27, 2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Up here I see lots of Hispanic people eating at the Chinese buffets!
                              Because they're also the ones in the kitchen...

Comment

Kimo...I enjoy Mexico Lindo in Kaneohe as well. They have another place now in Kailua which has a liquor license but I haven't been there yet. I like El Mariachi in Kaneohe as well...it is more of a hole in the wall in size but it's always packed with customers.
                                That place in Wahiawa that was mentioned earlier (on Kam Hwy) has always had plenty of military guys of Mexican descent when I've gone.
                                I love hot, spicy foods.....love jalapenos. My daughter (who is now 14) would eat hot sauce and salsa right out of the bowls even at 6 months of age.

Comment

Working...
                                X