Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by hawaiian_pride
    Honestly there was one in wahiawa which I think was pretty good. It was located where the foodland supermarket is in wahiawa, I believe it was California Ave. It was called Los Tres Compadres. Not really sure what happened.... but one day they were gone... Yeah I no longer live in the islands i live in great northwest with alot of authentic mexican food.

I miss Los Tres Compadres...the owner had to close up shop because he lost too many military customers due to them being shipped out, and he also said he couldn't afford the rents in Honolulu in order to move the restaurant.

Comment

Yeah it's too bad that he had to close.. They were pretty good... but anyway thanks for the reply...I lived in mililani so not to far from there.. His carne Asada was pretty good too!!!

Comment

During the few years I lived in So. Calif., I was privileged to have many neighbors who were "newcomers" from south of the border - didn't question their status . But, I also NEVER said no to an invitation to eat at their house. As the only "Norte Americano" in the building, I used to tutor in English and help with understaning their paperwork. My pay was free language lessons and lots of free food! We were all mostly without any extra $$$ so the trading worked out fine. I also fondly remember the little tortilla lady that used to come around with her shopping cart & cooler, selling the best tortillas I've ever had! Most were from areas close to the Calif./Mexico border so that was the primary type of food served - from their home states in Mexico. But, I've also had food from Yucatan and Vera Cruz style - they are all different due to the ingredients they can find.

The only "authentic" food I won't eat is menudo - I've never had a hangover that was bad enough to convince me to eat this famous remedy!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: my feeling is that if its cooked by the folks who grew up eating the food & learning the proper preparation, then I consider it authentic. I also agree with Miulang - another good sign is if other Mexicans eat in the restaurant, thats a pretty good sign of "authenticity"

Now I'm hungry!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Los Tres was our favorite, too. So sad. We try to console ourselves with the carne asada burritos from Baja Taco (corner of St. Louis and Waialae), menudo from El Burrito and ceviche from Quintero's.

Not in one day, of course.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
            Los Tres was our favorite, too. So sad. We try to console ourselves with the carne asada burritos from Baja Taco (corner of St. Louis and Waialae), menudo from El Burrito and ceviche from Quintero's.

Not in one day, of course.
            The ceviche from Los Quinteros in Wahiawa won first place in the food contest held at the Jawaiian BBQ Cookoff a few weeks ago....not sure how ceviche counts as Jawaiian, but it sure was gooooooooooooooood!!

Comment

"Just Tacos" has opened a full service restaurant in Mililani at the shopping center on Meheula Parkway. It is in the same area as the movie theaters. We went there several weeks ago & the food is wonderful! Plus, they have 79 different kinds of tequila. They only serve Mexican beers & Tequilas. I believe they also have music on Friday nites - at least I've heard it's pretty much a party scene!

They are expanding and will soon have 2 new locations. Quite a move up from the small taco place in the Remington College Building downtown. But = the food is still "authentic" and delicious!!!!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                The ceviche from Los Quinteros in Wahiawa won first place in the food contest held at the Jawaiian BBQ Cookoff a few weeks ago....not sure how ceviche counts as Jawaiian, but it sure was gooooooooooooooood!!

Ooops...I meant El Palenque in Wahiawa....

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                  Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  "Just Tacos" has opened a full service restaurant in Mililani at the shopping center on Meheula Parkway. It is in the same area as the movie theaters. We went there several weeks ago & the food is wonderful! Plus, they have 79 different kinds of tequila. They only serve Mexican beers & Tequilas. I believe they also have music on Friday nites - at least I've heard it's pretty much a party scene!

They are expanding and will soon have 2 new locations. Quite a move up from the small taco place in the Remington College Building downtown. But = the food is still "authentic" and delicious!!!!
                  Just Tacos is also opening up near Walmart in Pearl City. (or maybe has already opened...not sure)

Comment

I kinda like Just Tacos & More in Waianae. The owner is from Mexico City and seemed really nice. Liked the green sauce. I haven't had a chance to try the tamarind juice drink they had there yet--it looked homemade.

Comment

The wife and I tried El Mariacchi (sp?) in Kaneohe after I read a recent rave by one of the posters here. Little hole in the wall place. Seats 25-30 and we were lucky to get a table just as we signed the waitlist.

My wife ordered her standard 3 selection combo I got a huge piece of seared ono in garlic butter sauce. I was given the choice of black beans or refried. I chose black and I must say that I don't like black beans anymore. Next time I'm gonna ask to sub the beans for more rice.

The service was good. I like the overall casual ambience. Took home plenty extra.

Comment

I've eaten at El Mariachi several times and have always enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular, just good and reliable. The service has always been above average.
                        A few months ago someone opened a much "fancier" Mexican place just about two blocks away, on Kahuhipa Street, but it closed after two months. I tried it once. Ick. Hideously overpriced for bad food, and the service was horrible. Glad they're gone.
                        Long live El Mariachi!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I recall that short lived place - I didn't eat there i just remember it. I hardly
                          ever venture down Kahuhipa St. however I have the jitters about it.....On my
                          40th birthday I was at the light where Nanko is in the left turn lane on a
                          yellow light. This idiot in a huge delivery truck decided to go against the light
                          and skidded 33 feet into the back of my car. Thanks goodness it was my MIL's
                          rental Lumina, it was completely totaled from the back even popping the
                          back doors open. The nice people at the Nissan dealer (when it was there) came and helped me until the ambulance came.

I am wishing I was going to eat at El Mariachi today! However we have some kalua pork from KCC and are going to have that with collard greens for lunch with a nice Pinot Grigio then a pinot noir while we watch "Sideways" which I
                          have never seen but am going to write about Frank Ostini owner of the Hitching Post and need to do my homework!

Why did you not like the black beans? Were they not prepared well? The
                          garlic butter sounds good with the fish! I've found the do seafood very well.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            I've eaten at El Mariachi several times and have always enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular, just good and reliable. The service has always been above average.
                            A few months ago someone opened a much "fancier" Mexican place just about two blocks away, on Kahuhipa Street, but it closed after two months. I tried it once. Ick. Hideously overpriced for bad food, and the service was horrible. Glad they're gone.
                            Long live El Mariachi!
                            Is that the one by Bob Barrs Muffler? The first one after Bob closed the BBQ was pretty good, Mexico Lindo I think was the name. When they closed (this was a couple of years ago) because I think of a rent hike... it never was the same. Now it looks like Barr is opening another southwestern themed restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                              Why did you not like the black beans? Were they not prepared well? The
                              garlic butter sounds good with the fish! I've found the do seafood very well.
                              Nah I just thought it would be something tastier. It was like it was just boiled beans, perhaps that's what "authentic" is. Nonetheless, that's not going to stop me from going there again. The food was decent and the service was better than I would settle for... and for me great customer service goes a long way.

I think I'm gonna try another seafood dish and maybe the ceviche... yeah I like fish.

Comment

Ohhhhhhh...I just LOVE El Mariachi...we go there several times a month, but I usually order the cheese enchilada plate. Of course, none are as good as my mom's...but until I get to see her again, I have to "settle" for these.

Comment

Working...
                                X