X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anapuni808
    replied
    Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

at one point, the owner was Jose Cuervo's top NATIONAL sales spot! He's got some bottles that nobody else has and he has many that are very limited bottles. He was in our office the other day & talking about some expansions coming up. I've only been to Mililani place one time - but eat their food at least once a week downtown at my building. I'm so lucky!

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

bumping this thread due to the following, from introductions thread...

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    if you're still looking for Mexican restaurants, try Just Tacos Grill & Bar in Mililani. They are a full restaurant, great food and they have over 130 different tequilas at the bar! I think the owners came originally from Guadalajara.
    Originally posted by Angelito
    I'm sure once we get there(hopefully) we will be having withdrawals, so the search will be on. 130 Tequilas, definitely want to try them all...
    Thank you,
    a friend of mine who's a regular at just tacos mililani says the owner now does special tequila and food pairings for a special price if you can guarantee at least five people in your party. you need to give some amount of notice. during the one that my friend went to, the cost was either $50 or $75, with five courses of food/drink, and all the tequilas were premium quality, including bottles that normally cost $50+ and are hard to find.

don't hold me to the figures i quote bcs this was told to me on the 4th of july and i was already slightly lifted.

Leave a comment:

• alohacandy
    replied

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    i'm thinking that several of the people working/cooking at el mariachi were hispanic as they were speaking spanish. i dunno if they were mexicans. but, the food was good. as for authenticity, again, i dunno.
    Yes, several of the people that work there are from Mexico.

Leave a comment:

• kani-lehua
    replied

i'm thinking that several of the people working/cooking at el mariachi were hispanic as they were speaking spanish. i dunno if they were mexicans. but, the food was good. as for authenticity, again, i dunno.

Leave a comment:

• localmoco
    replied

Los Chaparros on Beretania is mostly authentic Mexican. They have some Tex-Mex items as well. The owner/chef/waiter is also from Mexico City.

Leave a comment:

• kani-lehua
    replied

so we went to el maricahi today for lunch and shared the carnitas and chicken fajita burrito. tasty and even better with their freshly made habanero hot sauce. mm mm good. wish we had some additional wheelchairs to roll us out of there (mom's in one already) as we were just stuffed to the gills. service was good, but the parking is limited especially during lunchtime.

and, now i know why parents should limit their children's intake of sugar. i haven't had a soda in several years now. but, had an upset stomach and thought that a sprite would help to settle it. talk about a sugar rush and high--boy did i feel funky.

all in all a good experience. the food was way better imo than mexico lindo in kailua. cisco's is really great if you want quantitiy and good quality. love their fajitas.

Leave a comment:

• leashlaws
    replied

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Nah I just thought it would be something tastier. It was like it was just boiled beans, perhaps that's what "authentic" is. Nonetheless, that's not going to stop me from going there again. The food was decent and the service was better than I would settle for... and for me great customer service goes a long way.

I think I'm gonna try another seafood dish and maybe the ceviche... yeah I like fish.
    It sounds like a boring prep for the beans. I have seen them elsewhere with other things added like bell peppers and onions to enhance the flavor. I've also seen them made similar to refried beans.

You're right about service when it's great going a long way! I love a good ceviche too.

Leave a comment:

• alohacandy
    replied

Ohhhhhhh...I just LOVE El Mariachi...we go there several times a month, but I usually order the cheese enchilada plate. Of course, none are as good as my mom's...but until I get to see her again, I have to "settle" for these.

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
    Why did you not like the black beans? Were they not prepared well? The
    garlic butter sounds good with the fish! I've found the do seafood very well.
    Nah I just thought it would be something tastier. It was like it was just boiled beans, perhaps that's what "authentic" is. Nonetheless, that's not going to stop me from going there again. The food was decent and the service was better than I would settle for... and for me great customer service goes a long way.

I think I'm gonna try another seafood dish and maybe the ceviche... yeah I like fish.

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    I've eaten at El Mariachi several times and have always enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular, just good and reliable. The service has always been above average.
    A few months ago someone opened a much "fancier" Mexican place just about two blocks away, on Kahuhipa Street, but it closed after two months. I tried it once. Ick. Hideously overpriced for bad food, and the service was horrible. Glad they're gone.
    Long live El Mariachi!
    Is that the one by Bob Barrs Muffler? The first one after Bob closed the BBQ was pretty good, Mexico Lindo I think was the name. When they closed (this was a couple of years ago) because I think of a rent hike... it never was the same. Now it looks like Barr is opening another southwestern themed restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• leashlaws
    replied

I recall that short lived place - I didn't eat there i just remember it. I hardly
    ever venture down Kahuhipa St. however I have the jitters about it.....On my
    40th birthday I was at the light where Nanko is in the left turn lane on a
    yellow light. This idiot in a huge delivery truck decided to go against the light
    and skidded 33 feet into the back of my car. Thanks goodness it was my MIL's
    rental Lumina, it was completely totaled from the back even popping the
    back doors open. The nice people at the Nissan dealer (when it was there) came and helped me until the ambulance came.

I am wishing I was going to eat at El Mariachi today! However we have some kalua pork from KCC and are going to have that with collard greens for lunch with a nice Pinot Grigio then a pinot noir while we watch "Sideways" which I
    have never seen but am going to write about Frank Ostini owner of the Hitching Post and need to do my homework!

Why did you not like the black beans? Were they not prepared well? The
    garlic butter sounds good with the fish! I've found the do seafood very well.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

I've eaten at El Mariachi several times and have always enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular, just good and reliable. The service has always been above average.
    A few months ago someone opened a much "fancier" Mexican place just about two blocks away, on Kahuhipa Street, but it closed after two months. I tried it once. Ick. Hideously overpriced for bad food, and the service was horrible. Glad they're gone.
    Long live El Mariachi!

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

The wife and I tried El Mariacchi (sp?) in Kaneohe after I read a recent rave by one of the posters here. Little hole in the wall place. Seats 25-30 and we were lucky to get a table just as we signed the waitlist.

My wife ordered her standard 3 selection combo I got a huge piece of seared ono in garlic butter sauce. I was given the choice of black beans or refried. I chose black and I must say that I don't like black beans anymore. Next time I'm gonna ask to sub the beans for more rice.

The service was good. I like the overall casual ambience. Took home plenty extra.

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

I kinda like Just Tacos & More in Waianae. The owner is from Mexico City and seemed really nice. Liked the green sauce. I haven't had a chance to try the tamarind juice drink they had there yet--it looked homemade.

Leave a comment:

• alohacandy
    replied

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
    The ceviche from Los Quinteros in Wahiawa won first place in the food contest held at the Jawaiian BBQ Cookoff a few weeks ago....not sure how ceviche counts as Jawaiian, but it sure was gooooooooooooooood!!
    Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    "Just Tacos" has opened a full service restaurant in Mililani at the shopping center on Meheula Parkway. It is in the same area as the movie theaters. We went there several weeks ago & the food is wonderful! Plus, they have 79 different kinds of tequila. They only serve Mexican beers & Tequilas. I believe they also have music on Friday nites - at least I've heard it's pretty much a party scene!

They are expanding and will soon have 2 new locations. Quite a move up from the small taco place in the Remington College Building downtown. But = the food is still "authentic" and delicious!!!!
    Just Tacos is also opening up near Walmart in Pearl City. (or maybe has already opened...not sure)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X