• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miulang
    replied
    Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by Karen
    Menudo! I vaguely recall having it once, but can't remember if I liked it, or not.

By the way, why do you spell Texas, as Taxes? Maybe just a repeated typo, but it is a funny one cuz Texas, of all states is, is one of the lowest on taxes, no state income tax, and they do not tax food nor medical supplies, doc visits, etc. (Ya got me wondering here)
    Menudo is a kind of tripe soup, but it's definitely not like the tripe stew locals eat! If you can find a place that serves home style cooking, you're more guaranteed to get "authentic" food than if you went to some yupscale dining establishment. When I dine ethnic, I make sure to check out the faces of the other diners...if there are ethnic people in there eating their own ethnic food, then I figure it's as "authentic" as you can get it here (some of the ingredients you can't find in this country).

I say "Taxes" (no it wasn't a typo, it was deliberate) because that's what I heard the big haired women in Dallas call the state (I was in a hotel in Dallas once and they were having some sort of GOP wingdingdoo in one of the ballrooms and George HW was supposed to be in attendance. There were all these society type ladies in their beaded evening gowns and big hair standing around, enjoying cocktails...me? I was in jeans. Shaquille O'Neill was also staying there and he got mobbed in an elevator by some groupies).

The people I know from Austin ("newcomers") say they're embarrassed to be associated with the State of Texas. I really do like Austin, though, even its bats.

Miulang

P.S. I used to make tamales using an authentic recipe, but the lard that's needed to make the masa is too high in calories for me to eat nowadays. I actually like Veracruzan food because most of it's seafood.
    Last edited by Miulang; September 19, 2004, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied

LOL Mexican Food in London?! Oh dear, I hope you had cake, too. (G)

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    For reasons unknown (although relatively cheap rents would be my guess), most of the Mexican restaurants seem to be in Kaimuki. I've heard good things about Toritos in Market City; José's is ok (not necessarily very authentic, but ok).

When Mama's died in Moanalua Shopping Center I was frustrated, but when the other one on School Street closed I was devastated. The food wasn't super, but it was close to authentic (at least to my formerly Arizonan eyes), and the décor was what I remember from my Arizona/Southern California days.

However, you ain't lived till you've eaten Mexican food on your birthday in London, England. Now that was an experience.

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied

Hey gal, your last, first! (G)

I hear Austin has turned into a liberal bastion and at times almost as looney as Bezerkely, california. I don't know cuz I lived there from '
    58 to '69, and still have relatives all over South Texas. Probably those that don't want to be associated with Texas are unworhty to be, also. (big grin)

No, not all the Mexican food in Texas is Tex/Mex. I have been fed REAL Tamales and near-real Tamales at Christmas time, and my own ex-step sister, a Mexican herself, fixes REAL rice and beans which are as Mexican as they can get. So are her beef enchiladas, anyway, yes you make a good point about Tex-Mex, but being so close to the border, I assure you that there are restaurants in San Antonio and South Texas that are authentic Mexican food, owned and operated by Mexicans that have legally moved there from Mexico, others using recipes handed down from their families in Mexico, etc.

I heard that in Kailua there is a Mexican restaurant that is owned and operated by Mexicans, and that the food is much more real than Cholos. I have not heard the name, as the person that mentioned it didn't know the name, etc, and had heard about it through others.

Menudo! I vaguely recall having it once, but can't remember if I liked it, or not.

By the way, why do you spell Texas, as Taxes? Maybe just a repeated typo, but it is a funny one cuz Texas, of all states is, is one of the lowest on taxes, no state income tax, and they do not tax food nor medical supplies, doc visits, etc. (Ya got me wondering here)

Maybe I will hear from someone that knows the place in Kailua, and has eaten there.

Originally posted by Miulang
    I would imagine that it might be kind of tough to find "authentic" Mexican food anywhere in Hawaii. And the stuff from Taxes is by no means authentic either. It's Tex-Mex, which is very different from the Mexican regional cuisine which I doubt you could get anywhere in this country unless you cracked open a cookbook by Diana Kennedy. Mexican food from New Mexico is more authentic than Mexican food in Taxes. Whatever you can find in Hawaii is going to be geared more to what Mexicans (if they own the establishment) think Americans think Mexican food should taste like (a la Taco Bell). We have a lot of Mexican immigrants from Michoacan and Sonora states up here in Seattle and some of them have small restaurants that serve home cooking. You want authentic? Tuck into a bowl of menudo !

BTW: I loved Austin when I visited there a couple of years ago (might be there in a couple of weeks again). A lot of people who live in Austin are actually from somewhere else, and many of them don't like to be associated with the rest of Texas.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    I've heard good things about Toritos in Market City;
    When Mama's died in Moanalua Shopping Center I was frustrated, but when the other one on School Street closed I was devastated.
    Torito's is quite good. Mama's on School Street was a regular stop for me. One day, there was a sign in the window saying it had opened in a new location, but nothing to indicate where.

Quintero's on Young and Piikoi is terrific; it's usually my preferred birthday-dinner location. The owners of Quintero's opened, just a week ago, a new "authentic" taco shop on Makaloa Street near Kalakaua called La Michoacana. The menu features tacos, tortas, and burritos. I had a couple of soft tacos--one with ground beef and one with shredded--and was really pleased. The tortillas had that wonderful, springy feel I've come to associate with good Mexican places, and everyone working in the restaurant speaks Spanish and sings along with the Spanish-language music playing on the stereo. Two soft tacos (supreme) cost five bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Karen
    I luv Haleiwa, so went there to eat at Cholo's last night. The food was not bad, nor was the ambiance, but it was NOT authentic nor real as I am used to, and I lived 13yrs. in San Antonio, Texas! (ten in Austin...you get the idea, our family KNOWS authentic)

I ordered the Taco Salad, and the shell was light, flakey like a great pie crust, it was divine, veggies fresh, but mine was supposed to have ground beef (vs. shredded) and I had to dig to the bottom to find what they called beef mixed with refried beans? and very little of that. Family members that ordered enchiladas said they were NOT authentic, but if you knew what to expect, they were okay, just sorta Cholo's own recipe.

Anyone know of AUTHENTIC Mexican food place, on island? I hope it isn't downtown, for I'd rather sit in the dentist's chair than to have to DRIVE there myself. (G)
    I would imagine that it might be kind of tough to find "authentic" Mexican food anywhere in Hawaii. And the stuff from Taxes is by no means authentic either. It's Tex-Mex, which is very different from the Mexican regional cuisine which I doubt you could get anywhere in this country unless you cracked open a cookbook by Diana Kennedy. Mexican food from New Mexico is more authentic than Mexican food in Taxes. Whatever you can find in Hawaii is going to be geared more to what Mexicans (if they own the establishment) think Americans think Mexican food should taste like (a la Taco Bell). We have a lot of Mexican immigrants from Michoacan and Sonora states up here in Seattle and some of them have small restaurants that serve home cooking. You want authentic? Tuck into a bowl of menudo !

BTW: I loved Austin when I visited there a couple of years ago (might be there in a couple of weeks again). A lot of people who live in Austin are actually from somewhere else, and many of them don't like to be associated with the rest of Texas.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 19, 2004, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

For reasons unknown (although relatively cheap rents would be my guess), most of the Mexican restaurants seem to be in Kaimuki. I've heard good things about Toritos in Market City; José's is ok (not necessarily very authentic, but ok).

When Mama's died in Moanalua Shopping Center I was frustrated, but when the other one on School Street closed I was devastated. The food wasn't super, but it was close to authentic (at least to my formerly Arizonan eyes), and the décor was what I remember from my Arizona/Southern California days.

However, you ain't lived till you've eaten Mexican food on your birthday in London, England. Now that was an experience.

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    started a topic "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

"Authentic" Mexican Food?!

I luv Haleiwa, so went there to eat at Cholo's last night. The food was not bad, nor was the ambiance, but it was NOT authentic nor real as I am used to, and I lived 13yrs. in San Antonio, Texas! (ten in Austin...you get the idea, our family KNOWS authentic)

I ordered the Taco Salad, and the shell was light, flakey like a great pie crust, it was divine, veggies fresh, but mine was supposed to have ground beef (vs. shredded) and I had to dig to the bottom to find what they called beef mixed with refried beans? and very little of that. Family members that ordered enchiladas said they were NOT authentic, but if you knew what to expect, they were okay, just sorta Cholo's own recipe.

Anyone know of AUTHENTIC Mexican food place, on island? I hope it isn't downtown, for I'd rather sit in the dentist's chair than to have to DRIVE there myself. (G)
Working...
X