Question on traditional Hawaiian food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on traditional Hawaiian food

I've been talking with some friends about traditional Hawaiian foods and the timeframe in which it became more common to purchase poi rather than make your own. The question is: Was there a time in fairly recent memory when families made their own poi? If so, when was this? And, because I am curious about the traditional food culture, was it typical in pre-colonial times for one family to specialize in production of a particular food product which was shared or bartered with others for a different food product?

Re: Question on traditional Hawaiian food

From Taro: The Roots of Hawaiian Agriculture
    http://www.poico.com/artman/publish/article_59.php

"Although Hawaiian families living the life of the land have always cultivated taro, the mid '70s brought a resurgence of cultural activities - and taro and poi were at the center of the activity.

The late Clarence Medeiros Sr. of Honakua in South Kona established one of the largest poi-making operations on the island on his family land at that time. Clarence learned quickly that vertical integration of his product was necessary to make farming profitable."

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      From Taro: The Roots of Hawaiian Agriculture
      http://www.poico.com/artman/publish/article_59.php

"Although Hawaiian families living the life of the land have always cultivated taro, the mid '70s brought a resurgence of cultural activities - and taro and poi were at the center of the activity.

The late Clarence Medeiros Sr. of Honakua in South Kona established one of the largest poi-making operations on the island on his family land at that time. Clarence learned quickly that vertical integration of his product was necessary to make farming profitable."

Auntie Lynn
      Great link with lots of good information. Thanks, Auntie!

Comment

This paper from the Bishop Museum entitled "Life in Waipi'o Valley, Hawai'i, 1880-1942" might help you. The kalo references start on page 20.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Dr. Teri Shintani wrote a book proclaiming the original Molokai Diet which became the Waianae Diet then ultimately the Hawaiian Diet when he promoted his book, Eat More Weigh Less.

He studied the diets of the common Hawaiian of ancient times (not Alii) and realized it was one of the best diets out there. The common Hawaiian never ate pork or the richer foods served to the Alii.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X