Da' "Manapua Man"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da' "Manapua Man"

Anyone who grew up in Hawaii has memories of their favorite neighborhood "Manapua Man". This is usually a white or oddly-painted van, smaller than, and NOT to be confused with your typical "Lunch Wagon". They usually have a plexiglass display case behind the sliding cargo door, and operated by a really nice, yet almost non-English speaking Chinese or Vietnamese (or other asian) man.

Food items often include manapua (of course), pork hash, chow fun noodles, wontons, including those honey-glazed wonton twists, and other dim sum items, as well as saimin (with hot water from an airpot), various American and asian candies and ice cream.

Our neighborhood Manapua Man is how I got turned on to Haw Flakes. He also had one of those obnoxious tinkerbell music horns blasting as he came down the block.

I just learned about a current "Manapua Man" located on Halekauwila street near the park. Ironically, he doesn't sell Manapua, but otherwise, fits the bill.

My friend bought this spread from him today, which only costs him $3!...

Halekauwila's Manapua Man dim sum grindz

Any memories about your neighborhood "Manapua Man"?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Da' "Manapua Man"

When I saw "Manapua Man" I laughed.

After all, I'm makule.

We didn't have Vans like we do today. Nope! We had the original Manapua Men! Two tin cans filled with delicious Dim Sums held by a rope. Ringing a bell and shouting "MANAPUUUUAA!"

I often wondered in amazement how they could walked for miles and the goodies were always hot.

Ahhhhh...the memories.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Since I moved here over 17 years ago, there was one manapua man who had a brown manapua van and he served beef stew plate. He stopped coming around now.

I remembered my weekend lunch would consist of fried or shoyu chicken & rice with 50-cent fried noodle.

Not many manapua vans serve manapua these days. Then again, I can always go to 7-Eleven or another convenience store for that. I'm also at walking distance from a chinese noodle factory that serve manapua by the boxloads.

They're convenient when I'm too lazy to cook.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Anyone who grew up in Hawaii has memories of their favorite neighborhood "Manapua Man".

I have to admit that while I grew up in Hawaii, there are times that I feel that it was kind of sheltered and I didn't encounter manapua until I was an adult and on Oahu (grew up in Lihue, went to college in Hilo) and I don't remember any of my friends eating it on Kauai.

Comment

I'll have to admit that there weren't any 'manapua vans' in Haleiwa or Waialua when I was growing but as a teen our family moved to Wahiawa where there were manapua vans GALORE....every color - white, brown, dark blue, and even green.....some of them had delicious food while others we didn't even pay attention to!

Now I see them in Waipahu, Kalihi and still in Wahiawa......

Comment

Most of 'em sold cartons of cigarettes really cheap. They got 'em from military bases here.
            Under the table, of course.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Like Auntie, whenever I think of Manapua Man, I only think of the ones that carried the two tin cans at the end of a stick, yelling "maaanaaapuaaaa . . . peeepeeeauuu . . .” The ones with trucks don't count (at least not for me). The Manapua Man from my past made his rounds in the old Halawa Housing area (where Aloha Stadium is now located).

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Most of 'em sold cartons of cigarettes really cheap. They got 'em from military bases here.
                Under the table, of course.
                I remember before the electronic days, you could purchase your cigarettes with food stamps! And, I also remember a huge 'bust' by HPD on this!

I just posted some time last week in the "What's For Lunch?" thread, I had $1 noodles with $.50 chicken and a strawberry soda. You really have to order with the dollar amount, it determines the 'size'. Near my office, we have a permanent white van...and, from time to time I crave the food from there.

I always wondered why the neighbor islands didn't have manapua wagons? But then again, don't we always bring manapua when traveling from HNL to our family and friends on the other islands?
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  Like Auntie, whenever I think of Manapua Man, I only think of the ones that carried the two tin cans at the end of a stick, yelling "maaanaaapuaaaa . . . peeepeeeauuu . . .” The ones with trucks don't count (at least not for me). The Manapua Man from my past made his rounds in the old Halawa Housing area (where Aloha Stadium is now located).
                  Interesting. I guess everyone had their own version of "Manapua Man".

Or, that must have been WAY back in the day, or something only done in town areas. I grew up in a large and very "hilly" Kaneohe suburb, where walking around with tin cans would have had Manapua Man dead of exhaustion. lol

It's funny how my friend calls the wagon he found in the Halekauwila area "Manapua Man", just by how it appears and sort of what they sell, yet they don't sell Manapua! Go figure.

Kind of a unique local term to describe someone selling any kind of Chinese dim sum and other various stuff on the go. Lot of them get that name solely because they - well - don't have a name! Usually these van wagons are unmarked with no name of the business. So what else to call 'em? "Manapua Man"!

I wish someone had a photo of a tin can-toting Manapua Man. That'd be neat to see!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I wish someone had a photo of a tin can-toting Manapua Man. That'd be neat to see!
                    This was last week's Honolulu Weekly cover. I think it's a famous photograph. I've seen it before, but I could find no credit line in the issue. But this is what my memory of a Manapua Man is. And yes, this was before the truck version of the current Manapua Man. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that this kind of Manapua Man disappeared around the mid 60's.

And everyone's memory of a Manapua Man is different, because he was just one guy in one neighborhood. I have a friend who grew up in Kalihi, he remembers his Manapua Man selling okole instead of pepeau.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                      This was last week's Honolulu Weekly cover. I think it's a famous photograph. I've seen it before, but I could find no credit line in the issue. But this is what my memory of a Manapua Man is. And yes, this was before the truck version of the current Manapua Man. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that this kind of Manapua Man disappeared around the mid 60's.
                      That's picture is awesome! Mahalo!

I swear I did NOT see that cover (or story) from the Honolulu Weekly prior to starting this thread. This is some strange irony going on; and to think, only because my friend went to one today. Chicken skin (actually Manapua skin). lol

Imagine a "Manapua Man" like that today, toting his tin cans on a wood stick serving you your stuff, then he gets a call on his iPhone. Wouldn't that trip you out?
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]Imagine a "Manapua Man" like that today, toting his tin cans on a wood stick serving you your stuff, then he gets a call on his iPhone. Wouldn't that trip you out?
                        May I become a citizen of that society...puhleeeeeze?!!!! I so miss 'the good ole days' but love technology. I'll take the best of both worlds, thank you very much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          I have to admit that while I grew up in Hawaii, there are times that I feel that it was kind of sheltered and I didn't encounter manapua until I was an adult and on Oahu (grew up in Lihue, went to college in Hilo) and I don't remember any of my friends eating it on Kauai.
                          AFAIK, in my youth, we had a Chinese restaurant (one and only) on Moloka'i but I don't recall ever seeing manapua being sold or cooked there.

Comment

Imagine a "Manapua Man" like that today, toting his tin cans on a wood stick serving you your stuff, then he gets a call on his iPhone. Wouldn't that trip you out?
                            Nah. Would trip me out if his manapua van is a converted Hummer truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Nah. Would trip me out if his manapua van is a converted Hummer truck.
                              Ha ha!

Kinda' like the Geico Cavemen concept.

God-forbid a "Manapua Man" should have a meager "soccer mom" minivan.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X