Suggestions: Lunch for a Preschooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions: Lunch for a Preschooler

Slightly off topic, but I gotta ask. Why is it that sooo many children have food alergies these days? I don't ever remember having to worry about anyone having food alergies when I was in school or when my son was in school (way back in the 80's). And in those days I was exposed to a lot more children in different schools. I realize this is more of a hypothetical question. But it seems to me that I hear of almost every child in every school has to worry about at least one child who is deathly allergic to something. What has changed?

Comment

Look at how many more thousands of chemicals we have been exposed to over the last few generations that were unheard of centuries before? I think that this is the general reason for the rise in allergies, autism, etc.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
        Slightly off topic, but I gotta ask. Why is it that sooo many children have food alergies these days? I don't ever remember having to worry about anyone having food alergies when I was in school or when my son was in school (way back in the 80's). And in those days I was exposed to a lot more children in different schools. I realize this is more of a hypothetical question. But it seems to me that I hear of almost every child in every school has to worry about at least one child who is deathly allergic to something. What has changed?
        Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        Look at how many more thousands of chemicals we have been exposed to over the last few generations that were unheard of centuries before? I think that this is the general reason for the rise in allergies, autism, etc.
        PM, i think you're right, but i'd add that specifically, the increased use of antibacterials is likely to be a big factor in the increase of children suffering from allergies.

here's what the CDC says:

...Some researchers have found a correlation between too much hygiene and increased allergy....This hypothesis stems from studies that revealed an increased frequency of allergies, cases of asthma, and eczema in persons who have been raised in an environment overly protective against microorganisms.
        this is exactly why, for the most part, i wash my hands with regular soap and water and use alcohol gels or hard core hospital strength antibacterial soap only when i really have to, like when i'm in the actual hospital areas of my work versus the administrative areas, where i spend 95% of my time. this is also exactly why, if ever i am blessed with child, i will (within reason) expose them to the same crap i was exposed to by avoiding buying "antibacterial" this or that all the time. my belief is that if you don't expose your kid to the normal stuff, then they have no hope of developing an immune system robust enough to fight the normal stuff (colds), much less the more serious stuff (influenza, chicken pox, etc).

back to OT, my favorite thing my mom would pack for me was fried chicken and rice. chicken, fried properly, tastes pretty good the next day, whether cold or at room temp. another fave was shoyu hot dog and rice. actually, anything you'd put in a bento would be good. then again...if you look at my "what's for dinner/lunch/breakfast" posts, i'm not a picky eater.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
          We have to make lunch for our son attending preschool. So far he has eaten a coldcut & cheese sandwich every day so far. Any suggestions for meals? He has a classmate who is deathly allergic to peanuts, eggs and barley. Maybe we'll switch to tortillas from bread. No meals with eggs or mayo are allowed.
          actually, given your exact situation, you might find this piece from slate.com an interesting read. i mean, how sure are you that your son's classmate is "deathly allergic" to the point that all the kids in the class have to abstain from eggs and peanuts? or are the parents and pediatrician of this child being a little hysterical or waaaay overly cautious? i'm not a parent, and of course i would want to be accommodating of another child if it truly is a "deathly" situation, but if it's not, i'd be more than a little resentful that another parent is basically dictating what my child can or cannot eat at school. after all, if what slate says is true, despite all the stuff you hear and see about so many having nut allergies, only 150 to 200 die of allergic reactions to food each year.

furthermore, who exactly made this decree of no eggs or mayo etc in all the kids' lunches for that class? was it the school? did the parents of the affected child deliver proof to the school? is this basically a story of the school trying to avoid possible liability by forcing so many parents to make certain diet limitations for their children in favor of ONE child? and what--does this mean that for the next 17 years, if your kid is in the same class or school as the affected kid, then mayo, eggs etc will be banned? and what about the school cafeterias? no egg salad, ever, can be prepared there?

geez, the more i think about this, the more irked i get! i'm sure there are cases of actual "deathly" allergies but i'm am quite sure they are few and far between. i think there are scads more cases of parental hypochondria and MDs who want to avoid liability and therefore label kids "allergic" or "deathly allergic."

this is coming from a someone who works in healthcare risk management without a clinical background, of course...so really...just my opinion.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Psst. Soy mayo: I think it tastes better than the low-fat real deal and it's eggless.I used to be allergic to cat dander. Cured myself with a German homeopatic sublingual from Down to Earth. Too bad food allergies aren't as easy.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              PM, i think you're right, but i'd add that specifically, the increased use of antibacterials is likely to be a big factor in the increase of children suffering from allergies.
              I used the term 'chemicals' but under that I include a broad array of human-engineered mixes, such as gas fumes, antibiotics, hair dye, vaccines, and margarine. Now, I am the sort of mom who let all her babies play until panko-ed in the imu dirt (high quality dirt, mind you!) and bathed them in the sink, then wash basin until finally old enough for the shower. However, as my eldest shows no inclination of being valedictorian, or even close, I shall blame her drinking from the garden hose as a child.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                Psst. Soy mayo: I think it tastes better than the low-fat real deal and it's eggless.I used to be allergic to cat dander. Cured myself with a German homeopatic sublingual from Down to Earth. Too bad food allergies aren't as easy.
                Do you mean homeopathic medicine, as in 'diluted until the essence is broken down'?

pax

Comment

Hmmm. Sounds about right. Twas a preparation containing dilute amounts of select allergens & other homey ingredients.
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                    geez, the more i think about this, the more irked i get!
                    Oh, just wait until you're on a airline flight. You know, the ones that charge you for meal service? So you break out your PBJ and the Flight Attendant says there's child with a peanut allergy on board.

It's happened.

Comment

Well the school says no mayo and eggs. This is because the children's lunches aren't refridgerated and they don't want to risk anyone getting sick. Perhaps some parent's risk it. Our son was eating his lunch this afternoon in the car when I picked him up; he opened his lunch box and ate it while I drove.

The parents of the child came to parent night and explained how allergic their son is. They did not bring a note from their doctor etc. but must have mentioned it to the staff previous.

My wife carries an epi-pen because of her allergies. She went into anaphalytic shock after eating shrimp and going jogging afterwards. They gave her the pen after diagnosing her. She would probably have passed away if not for the two ladies at the bus stop whom she told to call 911 before passing out. Also the quick thinking of the EMTs to hydrate her also helped to save her life.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Yup, das why I mentioned using a cooler pack in a proper lunch box/bag. Even cold cuts can be at risk after going a while without refrigeration. Luckily, they contain a lot of salt.

At present, I don't think there's any BAN on particular foodstuffs, but a lot of primary schools no longer allow the sharing of snacks which many kids bring to keep their energy up, usually in the early afternoon before school lets out. Mel had breakfast at 6:30, lunch at 11:00 and nothing till 2:30. That's a long time for a kid to go without somekind of snack.

She now goes to a private school and there are no restrictions at all. Of course, this school is a little better about the application process, information, communication and screening and there are no surprises for the teachers and staff. Mel takes a snack of whatever we happen to have on hand and shares it freely with her classmates.

Come to think of it, her preschool also didn't have any problems with food allergies. Kids ate....inhaled everything and anything you put in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                          Well the school says no mayo and eggs. This is because the children's lunches aren't refridgerated and they don't want to risk anyone getting sick. Perhaps some parent's risk it. Our son was eating his lunch this afternoon in the car when I picked him up; he opened his lunch box and ate it while I drove.

The parents of the child came to parent night and explained how allergic their son is. They did not bring a note from their doctor etc. but must have mentioned it to the staff previous.

My wife carries an epi-pen because of her allergies. She went into anaphalytic shock after eating shrimp and going jogging afterwards. They gave her the pen after diagnosing her. She would probably have passed away if not for the two ladies at the bus stop whom she told to call 911 before passing out. Also the quick thinking of the EMTs to hydrate her also helped to save her life.
                          okay, fine--i have no qualms with the no mayo/egg mandate if it's bcs of lack of refrigeration. wait. aren't hard boiled eggs okay to keep unrefrigerated?

and i don't doubt that there are people who have allregies that have dire circumstances. it's not that at all. let me ask you this--does your mrs. decree that others not to eat shrimp around her bcs it could kill her?

here's a true story: some people had decided to have a potluck celebration at their workplace. one of the employees who ate at the potluck had some sort of reaction. this employee knew s/he had prior knowledge of her allergy. s/he had not eaten the stuff but maybe one of the serving utensils touched the food s/he wasn't supposed to eat. anyway, this person wanted to make a claim to worker's comp bcs she had to go to the MD or ER for her reaction.

i'm pretty sure that employer's work comp person did the same thing i did upon hearing the story----> .

still, i hope that people posted enough lunch ideas for you here. it's hard enough to feed children the right things as they grow up; with your situation, you have it even harder, and i feel for you.

Comment

I don't order shrimp around her. I also told her you know that shrimp may be prepared near the other food you eat. I don't like it when she orders fried rice because there may be some shrimp residue it in; it's all probably cooked in the same wok.

She has taken benedryl after eating some meals because she starts to get hives. If she has to do this then she can't go exercising after that meal.

Her allergist told her her allergy is like a smoldering fire. What she did was throw gas on it by eating so much shrimp in such a short amount of time.

As in anything ... some parents will be cautious and others won't care.
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                            X