Hawaiian Food Restaurants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Food Restaurants?

Okay, I have to confess. I pretty much only know about Helena's Hawaiian Foods in Kalihi (which I haven't returned to since Ms. Chock died), and 'Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu (which I've never tried, 'cause it's known just as much for the crowds).

I know there's Highway Inn in Waipahu (HawaiiDiner review) and Haili's Hawaiian Foods, a take-out place at Ward, but I've tried neither.

When you don't want to cook it yourself, or want to take out some visitors, where else in this town do you go for traditional or near-traditional (i.e. verging more on broadly "local") food? Any recommendations?

And more to the point, are they open on Sundays?

We're hosting some internet friends visiting Hawaii on vacation, and they want to try Ono Hawaiian Foods. Except there's the crowds, and the vague idea that they're closed on Sundays. So, I'm curious what else is out there.

Re: Hawaiian Food Restaurants?

Well, it's a food court situation, but that Poi Bowl place in the Ala Moana Food Court is not bad. For really good lau lau, I love KJ's in Kaneohe.

The critics love the People's Cafe. I've been there twice and have liked it quite a bit. Don't know about open on Sunday.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I dunno what to say....das all da places I know.heheheh

In fact, I just pau kaukau ono food from Haili's Hawaiian Foods!

The usual and ummm..no tell (turkey tails)

Na'au. Hmmmm...good.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I recently learned that Masa & Joyce Okazuya in Kaneohe also features Hawaiian Food. Although I haven't tried any of it, so not much help there. To note, there's not much as far as ambiance. Just a regular plate lunch stand setup. If you squint, you might be able to read the menu on that link I gave. Your window of opportunity on Sunday there is short though: they open from 9am to 2pm. Hurry!

There's also Young's Fish Market at City Square on Dillingham. Arguably the best Laulau. They have at least some "decor" style to the place. But per your criteria, they're CLOSED on Sunday.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Good Hawaiian food at Masa & Joyce. But yeah. Not the nicest of ambiences.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Given that you need to entertain on Sunday, Highway Inn may be your best bet. I really like the ambiance with all the photos of Waipahu during the plantation era. They are celebrating their 60th anniversary so that adds a bit of meaning to the experience. Lots of local choices outside the classic Hawaiian fare like beef stew and deep fried shrimp. You can get stuff with 'gravy all over' too.

Comment

Highway Inn's Kaukau is onolious!

Here's my favorite:

Na'au of course!

Pipikaula.

Butterfish with Stew Gravy.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

From Helena's Hawaiian Foods:

Auntie Lynn

Note: Time for moa Ake and Poi! heheheh I only live once. If I'm gonna go ~ I'm gonna go HAPPY!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; September 8, 2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    (...) and 'Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu (which I've never tried, 'cause it's known just as much for the crowds).
                    Always been my favorite. The trick is to go slightly before the normal 'busy' times, or slightly after. I've never had to wait longer than 10 minutes that way.
                    Not sure about Sunday hours, sorry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ono Hawaiian Foods

From The Official Ono Hawaiian Food Website
                      http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/9874/

I love to eat their LauLau. It's Huge! Also, their Na'au is excellent. Chop Steak is made only on certain days so call first.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

HAILI'S: Good choice, and not because it's family but you'd have to take out and perhaps enjoy across the way at Ala Moana or Kewalo's?

HIGHWAY INN: Ono food, ala carte style, don't forget to order the DRY pipikaula. It's actually a restaurant, so there's tables...and the menu comes with a good history about the establishment.

ONO'S: It's been years since I've enjoyed their food, because usually when I'm hungry, I just don't have the time to wait in line.

POI BOWL: Also tasty food, but small portions...for me anyways.

Ryan, too bad this wasn't last week Sunday I would've offered for all of you to join us at Tutu Kane's 80th birthday party, had the works! catered from LAVERNE'S and the laulau was homemade from Braddah Ola!

This thread made me realize...there aren't very man choices!
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

here's the link for ono's menu. yes, they are closed on sunday.

if not for the sunday thing, i'd say ono's is the best place to go to bring visitors to have hawaiian food. after that, i'd say highway inn and then people's cafe. parking at either highway or people's is definitely better than at ono's.

my favorite thing to have besides laulau or kalua would be butterfish with stew gravy. iirc, it's on the menu at both people's and highway; it's not on ono's menu but they'll make it for you if you ask.

i had forgotten about the dry v. wet pipikaula at highway inn. whichever one is in auntie lynn's pic is the one i like--it's more "steaky" versus "jerky-y."

eric thinks ono's laulau is best. i'm not sure i disagree. but honestly, i don't think i can say that any one place clearly has THE BEST hawaiian food.

*sigh* now i wanna have hawaiian food tomorrow.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

its good to hear that HIGHWAY INN in Waipahu is still GOIN from what I read here. Went there A LOT!

Here in the Bay Area there is the obvious L&L Drive Inn

BUT......

Gotta give a shout out to ALOHANA GRILL which is in Downtown Berkeley which I just happen to stumble on.
                            I was heading towards the BART station there and their sign signifying HAWAIIAN FOOD caught my eye.
                            I slithered in and my eyes gazed at their full on array of hawaiian food selections. The food is good IMO , their pricing is fair and I have gone there at least 3x's on seperate days of course and they give generous portions I thought I was not goin to finish the meal.
                            And their service is friendly and top notch.

Comment

My favorite dish at Ono's is the salt meat watercress.
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                              X