Extra Egg Yolks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Egg Yolks

I often make 3 egg omelets for breakfast, using one whole egg and two white. I also have other recipes calling only for egg whites. I'm ashamed to say I dump the yolks. My cats won't eat them, and I don't know anyone who would want them either.

I've tried those egg whites in a carton, but I don't like the taste of them. Any ideas what I can do with extra yolks? Thanks!

Re: Extra Egg Yolks

I've been told that you can freeze them in ice cube trays for later use. Extra whites or yolks.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You can make sponge cake, pound cake, mayonnaise, custards or flans, or use it in your hair as a conditioner.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You can make hollandaise sauce.

Comment

You can make egg tempera paint.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

you can make Hollandaise sauce from them. Add a little lemon and a dash of hot sauce.

By the way, my mother was told by the eye doctor to eat them. They are great for the eyes - particularly for Macular Degeneration.

Comment

Try "blender hollandaise" - bring to a gathering with roasted asparagus (hold by both ends, and snap---this will get the most ono tips and roast for 5 mins under broiler). Blender hollandaise travels well, and you don't have to work as hard. When you arrive at gathering, just pop in micro for 1 min and you will have happy happy friends! Asparagus is great at room temp, IMHO.

(this is the recipe I use---and the cayenne really is nice in it and I most often triple it because people go crazy for it---good way to use up those yolks---
              http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/bl...ce-recipe.html )

Bernaise is similar but with tarragon added---also very nice and unusual for most people to experience.

I wonder if you can freeze the yolks and use later in this hollandaise---I bet you can and it would be great!

Comment

oh hey nikki---

I seem to be enjoying this culinary puzzle you have presented:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1740...255196,00.html

try this ---great way to use bananas too.

Comment

Thank you Ginabeena, and everyone.

I have an old key lime pie recipe that uses yolks... and I think a flan recipe. Oh dear, now hollandaise and pudding! I'm going to have to put in more time on the treadmill

Comment

no kidding, huh? if i find anything else that looks healthy i will post. it is fun.

Comment

An egg a day keeps the doctor away by boosting ‘good cholesterol’ (yahoo.com)

Wait, Is this true?

Comment

How Long Do Hard-Boiled Eggs Last in the Fridge? (msn.com)

You'll be a hard luck boiled egg. Baby, till you find your egg.

Comment

Eating a dozen eggs a week doesn't hurt your cholesterol: Study (yahoo.com)

Eggcellent.

Comment

Working...
                          X