new place? MIX CAFE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new place? MIX CAFE!

ok, i know i'm gonna sound like an advertisement, but i swear i have no connection with this place except that i just discovered it. i live on the corner of beretania and nuuanu and kept walking past this place, mix cafe, on beretania between bethel and fort st. mall. it looked really cute, but finally today i dragged DH & my baby (i'm a stay at home mom) there for an early lunch and OMG!! the food is awesome! i had the pork tenderloin sandwich, which was roasted pork, moist and tender, with just a bit of a salty crust on it and a bit of stilton cheese, which i never would have thought to put together, but was perfect together. came on a huge freshly baked roll, with a little bit of roasted veggies on the side. i think it was about 7 bucks. it had to be the best pork i've had in a looooong time, maybe ever. the atmosphere is cute too. the owner is italian, went to culinary school in new york and has the totally cool name bruno. free wi-fi too, though i didn't take advantage of it. it smells incredible when you walk in and it's hard to decide what to get--the had this sage butter pasta with smoked salmon that i almost got but will have to try next time. anyway, for all you who work downtown i know you probably look for good places to have lunch and you'd probably never know this place was there unless i told you b/c it's on the back side (mauka) of fort street mall. it's well worth the trip, imho.

Re: new place? MIX CAFE!

Originally posted by jimnyo View Post
    the food is awesome! i had the pork tenderloin sandwich, which was roasted pork, moist and tender, with just a bit of a salty crust on it and a bit of stilton cheese, which i never would have thought to put together, but was perfect together. came on a huge freshly baked roll, with a little bit of roasted veggies on the side. i think it was about 7 bucks. it had to be the best pork i've had in a looooong time, maybe ever.
    Your excitement jumps from your post! I shall go look foa this place in which you describe the perfect Roasted Pork Tenderloin Sandwich is at!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Is that in the space where the Ground Zero cafe used to be? It does sound good from your description -- did you notice anything else on the menu that was appealing?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Spicy Crab Pasta is way ono there.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

thanks for the tip. did a quick search and didn't find much. i wonder if it's new? odd that there aren't a couple of online reviews....

Mix Cafe

35. S. Beretania St. (537-1191). Mon.–Fri. 7am–7pm.

A Euro-style cafe that specializes in breakfast, lunch and coffee.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Im gonna check this out, thanks for the tip.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

This guy used to have an Italian place on Alakea/Beretania but had to close when construction started. He wanted to get into Remington College Bldg. but we didn't have a space right for his business. But..........he brought us samples of his desserts - they are to DIE for!!! If anyone goes, try them for sure. We also tried some of his pasta & it was also delicious. I think he is either Italian or French - can't remember but he is a good chef & his place is very pretty - very art deco colors, especially all the green. I would recommend his food.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

yup, i think it was ground zero and then something else and then lucky cafe? i believe bruno is italian. everything else on the menu sounded ono. there was a roasted veggie sandwich that i'd get if i was in 'vegetarian' mode (the pork sandwich came w/a little side of the roasted veggies--peppers, potatoes, eggplant--so i know it'd be good). the breakfast sounded good too, but they only serve that til 10ish. and probably any of the pastas!

Comment

Ok!!! The old Ground Zero! I know where it is! There's a Public Parking Lot right on the corner of Bethel/Beretania/Nuuanu. Also, at Marks Garage. Cheaper if you can find one on the street.

I'll try to make it today or tomorrow. Been thinking about the sandwich since you posted it.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

...after getting off TheBoat, it was the perfect time to check out Mix Cafe so a brief walk later, i stepped into the door and the couple who runs the place acted like old friends (good morning! how are you?).

there were so many ono dishes to try but i went with the blueberry waffles, portabella mushroom pasta, and a cup of coffee. yeah, an odd combo but... it was ono!

kim is full of energy and info. she said that they've only been in operation in that spot for about two and a half months and that they'd been in new york prior to moving to hawaii. she emphasized that all of their dishes are made from the finest ingredients and are prepared fresh. since it's pretty new, she said that they're still trying to figure out a few things so expect the menu to be expanded in the next few weeks (e.g., ono gelato!)

in a nutshell, the food was ono, the prices reasonable, and the service very good.
                    Attached Files
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

heheheh...

That Roasted Pork Tenderloin Sandwich kept bothering my mind!

Yep! P.K., Antonio and I went to have lunch there. As soon as we entered I knew I would enjoy my food. Like Shaveice said in his post above me. The owners are friendly.

As for dee sandwich.

Oh!! Da onolicious! P.K. ordered a salad. Crisp and the dressing was just right.

The music was relaxing too.

I am going to be a regular customer das foa shua!

Bruno gave me a scoop of Homemade Vanilla Ice-Cream which melted in my mouth.

Comment

Moa pictures.

Da Homemade Ice Cream!

I love food.

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Hui! jimnyo!! I like treat you da Sandwich one day!heheheh Mahalo for sharing what you found.
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; September 25, 2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

free food??!? auntie lynn, you sure know my language! would love to try to get there again sometime soon. we will be moving at the end of october, so it's a shame that i just found them! i'll have to try to squeeze in as much of them as possible. i didn't know they had ice cream....uh oh, i'm in trouble now!

Comment

K-den...how about Oct.1st., Monday? Lunch. Or anytime next week? I wanna try the Crab Pasta. Bumby my Gout ack up.

P.M me.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

i'll pm you right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X