Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Candies & Treats

Trick or Treat.

Tis the season once again to ante up on toothpaste and dental floss, as those Halloween candies and treats will be all around.

What kind of candy do you give out for Halloween? Chocolates? Hard Candies? Gum? Other?

What's your favorite Halloween candy or treat to receive?

Our neighbor in Kaneohe was a dentist, so naturally he was against candies, and instead gave out baggies of popcorn, along with a dental care flyer. I actually ate that before going for the candy. Very cool.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Halloween Candies & Treats

When we know we're going to be home early enough, we buy the cheapest stuff we can find. Usually hard candies or cheapy taffees. If....when we run out, we start giving away the candy Mel collected.

We only allow her to eat but a few that night so she doesn't miss them at all, the wife doesn't eat candy and I only pick out a few of the chocolate stuff. We usually follow her around with spare bags as she usually collects a lot. Any leftovers gets dumped into a large container and sits for the next 4 to 6 months then gets tossed out.

Comment

Not that many kids come around the neighborhood trick or treating these days. I suspect that many of them are at organized events due to safety factors. But we usually buy a couple of bags of mixed mini candy bars for those who do come around. My favorite Halloween treat used to be candy corn. Not entirely sure why other than it was fun to try to eat them by layers of color (and yes, I also eat rice cakes layer by layer) and I don't like them anymore.

Comment

The adult version of trick or treat is when offices have a bowl of fun sized candy for anyone to take during the Halloween season.

Comment

We don't give out candy any more. We used to when we first moved into our little subdivision... only our neighbors and friends would come to our house.

After about five years, we stopped. We were spending over $200 on candy, all given out in 45 minutes. Vanloads of strangers... kids, teens and adults, many of them carrying more than one bag. We decided to take that money and go out to dinner.

I also don't think it's a good idea to encourage kids to go to strangers houses and beg for candy. Moreover, it's scary to open your door to an adult stranger with a mask.

Just my opinion. Sorry to be a spoil sport.

Comment

I live in a secure high-rise, so no trick-or-treaters. Thank god!

I used to live in low-rise buildings and I'd always have to buy a variety pack of candy, just in case. I was always worried that I would be inundated with ghostly brats and would run out of sweets, but invariably, I would be left with a variety pack of candy, which took me the rest of the year to consume. Or, I would bring it to the office, where there was a communal bowl for everyone to deposit their leftovers or overflows.

Sweet!

Comment

The Children of MWH look forward to Halloween. It's the first of the Holidays! Every year I buy ukapila candies and put um in a big container. They come with their parents with plastic shopping bags. Costumes are simple. Most of the times their faces are painted or have none at all. I look down by their feet and no slippahs are worn. I tell um "No forget to come to the Slippah Wish Party in December!

Trick-O-Treating No Moa Slippers Still Having fun!

I'm a Secret Agent Man!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm not giving out candy this year. I'm setting up a couple empty garbage cans and a box big enough to accommodate me street side, and I'm popping out at when I hear trick-or-treaters walking by. Hopefully no one's carrying a stick or baseball bat this year.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                  Just my opinion. Sorry to be a spoil sport.
                  No spoil sport. You just said what I didn't. We also get van loads of people from other neighborhoods. We also get people dumping their kids on our street then just take off.

Most don't even wear costumes or masks and do carry multiple bags saying, "It's foah da bebe." or "Iz foah my litto bruddah/sistah." It's too the point where it's no longer fun to give out candy.

The next day I gotta go out and pick up rubbish from the front yard and driveway because these people just dump their trash in the neighborhood yards and driveways.

Ooops. Sorry for the rant. Wrong place, ah? Das what happens wen you come my age and become a grouchy ol'fart. Oh, it's coming to that season so it's more like a Scrooge.

Btw, my faves were always those mini Nestles or Hershey bars with the crunchy rice or peanuts. Snickers are alright as well.
                  Nowdays, it will take me months to finish off one bag. The chocolate all turning white awready.

Comment

Usually give out a mix of Twix, RPB Cups and Snickers. Hitting the town early this year though.

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    I'm not giving out candy this year. I'm setting up a couple empty garbage cans and a box big enough to accommodate me street side, and I'm popping out at when I hear trick-or-treaters walking by. Hopefully no one's carrying a stick or baseball bat this year.

Just don't end up like the guy in this video.
                    Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; October 30, 2007, 09:21 PM. Reason: Amnesia
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

This is the first year since my kids were born that we are actually staying home and passing out candy instead of trick-or-treating. We bought a lot of candy, but I really have no idea if it is gonna run out quickly or not. We bought some of the stuff I don't really care for (Starbursts, skittles) and some of the "good stuff" (to me) - peanut butter cups, almond joys, snickers, etc...

I really hope we don't get too many of those teens (or older) that don't even come in costume. That is gonna pi** me off.

My favorite candies when i was younger (and still now) i guess would be chocolates - snickers, m&m's, hershey's miniatures... any of those ...
                      I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

My husband takes the night off to take the girls trick or treating. Kid 1 is Hermione, Kid 2 said she wanted to be Professor McGonnigle, but when she got a look at Kid 1's sleek black gown, she wanted to be more wizard like. I think she'll wear ears with hers.

I will wear creepy finger tips and if I can find it, my witch's hat and sit in the driveway among my spidee webs, kitty kats and big bowl of candy.

I'm giving out those fruit snacks with Jerry Seinfeld's new movie on it, The Bee Movie; then I'm also giving out Reeses PBCs, Malty Balls, Nestle Crunches, and Be Safe Be See red flashing lights. And for parents who join their kids, I will give them Meyer lemons from my tree because my tree is going bonkers with lemons and I can't keep up with production.

If any of you are in town and happen by the bottom of Nuuanu Avenue this week, give me a head's up and I'll bring a few lemons in for you. I ride theBus into town so would need to know the night before.

Did any of you hear about the lady who wants to change Halloween to the last Saturday of October? A fine idea if you ask me. I'm already pressured to give the girls candy to share at school tomorrow. So they'll be each bringing home tons of candy AND going trick or treating? NUTS!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

We dont get a lot of kids due to the fact that our front door is quite a long way from the sidewalk - most parents won't walk their kids up the long, usually dark walkway eventho I've got lit pumpkins and the front porch light on. No worries tho, just more candy for me.

This year is Crabby Patties and Jolly Rancher lollipops. I had to stop giving out chocolate because I'd eat it well before Halloween.

Comment

I'm ready! I bought $70.00 worth of candy. Last year I had over 100 kids show up.

My favs to pass out: m&m's, snickers, pb cups, abbazabbas, and whoppers.

My favs to eat: almond joy, smarties, candy corn.

So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

We now have a plan. Early dinner and off to one of my wife's coworker's house to see their "haunted house". Last year it was great and attracted a lot of attention. I'll be taking my Hugo rolling walker (for the first time) with the extra storage under the seat and will take our Mel T&Ting. I can also lug some much needed bottles of cold water and a big umbrella. I'll also be wired to a TENS unit to keep the edge out of the back pain. Sometimes I think it's a plus to have to use one of these rolling walkers. Can carry allkine stuffs an can sit down whenever I have to.

Comment

Working...
                              X