Am I Hawaiian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Hawaiian?

No. I'm not Hawaiian. I have no Hawaiian blood.

I never had a problem of defining who I am being a kid/adult in Hawaii. On the mainland, I'm not sure who I am. First, I wear my Aloha shirts to work. Wear my "Hawaii" T-shirts when I'm off. I got "Hawaii" stickers on my car. And "Aloha" around my house. No question, I'm from Hawaii. My kids have Hawaiian middle names too.

My wife mentioned the other day that "I'm pretending to be Hawaiian." No need to go into my family history, but the bottom line is I have no Hawaiian blood. My wife is a "Californian." I get that. Hawaiian is an ethnic group and not where you are from. At least not used that way.

I feel more "Hawaiian" than my Chinese last name. Nothing wrong with Chinese, and proud of it. But I just don't see myself as "Chinese." When my mainland born and raised kids grow up, they will probably relate more to Chinese as their culture heritage, because of their last name.

A few times I have to answer to people "No...I'm not Hawaiian." I bet they wonder why is this guy trying to be Hawaiian when he is not.

So how do I deal with being a non-Hawaiian "Hawaiian?"

Re: Am I Hawaiian?

I think you should be whatever you want to be. If "Hawaiian" works for you, then great!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I think cabanalane is saying "Hawaiian" doesn't work for him, and rightfully so, since he understands it's a term generally meant to include an ethnic/racial component, separate from state or location (i.e. "Californian"). Still, he's proud to be from or connected to Hawaii, and wants to express that.

"Hawaiian at heart" has always seemed to me to be the somewhat trite, somewhat useful way to convey this. It says at once, "I feel pride in my Hawaii connection," but also, "I know I'm not Hawaiian." Making this distinction in a positive way also makes it easier to introduce people to it. "What do you mean?" they ask. "Well," you begin, with a smile...

Comment

So be an American from Hawaii!

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with spreading the aloha. I know lots of people in Hawaii who have Hawaiian things around that aren't ethnically Hawaiian. Hawaii isn't like any other state. It was once it's own nation, and I feel that carries over a lot to what this says. No matter where you go, everywhere main land is very very similar. Hawaii is distinct to other states. Plus consider that being "Hawaiian" use to represent being from Hawaii, not just ethnically, but nationally.

Comment

Well this Hawaii Born Bruddah currently dwelling down the Bay Area often gets mistaken for HISPANIC! Whats worse is when people assume I am and start talking to me in Espanol. If I get asked if I am I would be glad to say sorry I am not Spanish etc. etc. etc. But then again I get mistaken for some ones cousin, brother or person they knew at one time but thats another thread

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
              Well this Hawaii Born Bruddah currently dwelling down the Bay Area often gets mistaken for HISPANIC! Whats worse is when people assume I am and start talking to me in Espanol. If I get asked if I am I would be glad to say sorry I am not Spanish etc. etc. etc. But then again I get mistaken for some ones cousin, brother or person they knew at one time but thats another thread
              You need one of the t-shirts I saw at a Hawaiian/Native American festival last weekend. It said: "No, I don't speak Spanish --- I am HAWAIIAN."

Comment

Originally posted by samkeola View Post
                I don't see anything wrong with spreading the aloha. I know lots of people in Hawaii who have Hawaiian things around that aren't ethnically Hawaiian. Hawaii isn't like any other state. It was once it's own nation, and I feel that carries over a lot to what this says. No matter where you go, everywhere main land is very very similar. Hawaii is distinct to other states. Plus consider that being "Hawaiian" use to represent being from Hawaii, not just ethnically, but nationally.

you may have a point. i am kanaka maoli through my father. my mother has been with the hawaiian studies program since the beginning with zero percent hawaiian. she has been a district resource teacher for a long time.
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                  Andy Bumatai used to do a five-minute standup on how his ancestry varied with his Mainland location. It reminds me of Eddie Aikau having to be declared "white" to compete in former apartheid South Africa.

One of our kid's high-school classmates, a kama'aina, says that she's haole on the outside but Hawaiian on the inside. It has a totally different interpretation between her current group of high-school friends and the new group of acquaintances that she's going to make at a Mainland college.

Our kid has also been born & raised here. I grew up in a small town near Pittsburgh and last year we returned for a visit. As I wandered around in TSS and "aloha casual", talking with old friends, I realized that I no longer belonged to the culture or society of my youth... just about the time that our kid said "Dad, why are you talking with their accent?!?"
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    Andy Bumatai used to do a five-minute standup on how his ancestry varied with his Mainland location.
                    Kermet Apio comments on how, as he travels around the Mainland for gigs, "the smaller the airport, the more Arabian he appears."

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      I realized that I no longer belonged to the culture or society of my youth... just about the time that our kid said "Dad, why are you talking with their accent?!?"
                      That's what my kids will say. I guess that's why I'm asking the question, because I "don't know who I am," being away for so long.

I do visit often, but it's not the same.

Comment

For me, being pure P.I., with a Hawaiian first name, Japanese last name, but looking much chop/chop mix. Was much easier and comfortable for me to say, I'm local born in Hawaii. If they ask further more, they ask. It is not my problem how the others will feel, but how I feel. So, if it makes one feel comfortable to express you say without offense, smile.......
                        ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post

I never had a problem of defining who I am being a kid/adult in Hawaii. On the mainland, I'm not sure who I am. First, I wear my Aloha shirts to work. Wear my "Hawaii" T-shirts when I'm off. I got "Hawaii" stickers on my car. And "Aloha" around my house. No question, I'm from Hawaii. My kids have Hawaiian middle names too.

My wife mentioned the other day that "I'm pretending to be Hawaiian." No need to go into my family history, but the bottom line is I have no Hawaiian blood. My wife is a "Californian." I get that. Hawaiian is an ethnic group and not where you are from. At least not used that way.

I feel more "Hawaiian" than my Chinese last name. Nothing wrong with Chinese, and proud of it. But I just don't see myself as "Chinese." When my mainland born and raised kids grow up, they will probably relate more to Chinese as their culture heritage, because of their last name.

A few times I have to answer to people "No...I'm not Hawaiian." I bet they wonder why is this guy trying to be Hawaiian when he is not.

No offense but I really find it dumb when people are proud of themselves because of their skin color, race, and place origin. Being a part of certain race doesnt automatically make you superior. So you should stop worrying about your identity.

Comment

there's a huge difference between being proud about one's ethnic heritage versus believing one is superior because of one's ethnic heritage.

to the original poster-would you consider exploring your actual ethnic heritage? you might find some answers for yourself going that route, and in that journey, eliminate the need to answer the question you are asking here.

i didn't think going to the philippines would have any value for me, but when i had to go there this summer for family/business reasons, the trip catalyzed a multi-layered epiphany for me. not only did i make some great discoveries about my family heritage, but about my cultural heritage and historical heritage as well.

things as simple as the revelation that my love affair with beer started when i was a toddler, that the indigenous filipino is a rare individual (the vast majority of pinoys are mixed Chinese, Spanish and Mexican, among other things), and that maybe the reason why so many of my people work in the service industry or have professions with the goal of service can be understood best under the lens of history.

i know i'm speaking vaguely. my point is, though i was forced to take the trip for financial reasons, the enrichment i gained cannot be counted in PHP or USD or any other currency. i feel rooted better than i did a month ago, and though it's counterintuitive, i feel freer to fly in any endeavore or adventure I choose.

i am not saying buy a ticket to china right now, but maybe read a few history books, look online, visit a museum and learn a little bit about your heritage. it will help you with your identity questions, i think.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              there's a huge difference between being proud about one's ethnic heritage versus believing one is superior because of one's ethnic heritage.

to the original poster-would you consider exploring your actual ethnic heritage? you might find some answers for yourself going that route, and in that journey, eliminate the need to answer the question you are asking here.

i didn't think going to the philippines would have any value for me, but when i had to go there this summer for family/business reasons, the trip catalyzed a multi-layered epiphany for me. not only did i make some great discoveries about my family heritage, but about my cultural heritage and historical heritage as well.

things as simple as the revelation that my love affair with beer started when i was a toddler, that the indigenous filipino is a rare individual (the vast majority of pinoys are mixed Chinese, Spanish and Mexican, among other things), and that maybe the reason why so many of my people work in the service industry or have professions with the goal of service can be understood best under the lens of history.

i know i'm speaking vaguely. my point is, though i was forced to take the trip for financial reasons, the enrichment i gained cannot be counted in PHP or USD or any other currency. i feel rooted better than i did a month ago, and though it's counterintuitive, i feel freer to fly in any endeavore or adventure I choose.

i am not saying buy a ticket to china right now, but maybe read a few history books, look online, visit a museum and learn a little bit about your heritage. it will help you with your identity questions, i think.
                              There is a difference but "being proud" is what usually leads to people trying to claim they are the superior race and that crap leads to racism. that's what I was trying to point out.

Comment

Working...
                              X