Chang Apana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chang Apana

I'm consulting with a playwright here in Seattle who is developing a radio play about Chang Apana - his life and the times and world in which he was an officer. Said playwright will be in Hawai`i later this month, talking with staff at the HPD museum, and (hopefully) meeting with HT's own 1stwahine (to talk about the history of Chinatown). We plan to perform/record the play sometime in February 2009.

If anyone here has a good source for info on Apana, either through their own family or contacts or knowledge, please let me know, so I may share it with her, if you are so willing.

(Depending on how the play goes, we might turn it into a series. I'm working with her on musical research, as well as being an actor in the radio company she directs.)

Re: Chang Apana

Thanks to Burl for the publicity on the project - maybe locals with connections to the story will get in touch with the playwright, after seeing this feature.

Comment

Every time I'd see Apana's glowering mug staring back at me in a framed picture at an HPD station, I'd be glad I wasn't truly in his sights.
      Had to be one tough mutha, with a multi scarred face . Used a bull whip to control the waterfront, in the day's when the waterfront was very rough and tumble.
      But he also worked with the Humane Society before becoming a Territorial Enforcement Officer. Hopefully, he was as kind as he was not.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'll be meeting with Leo's friend this Saturday and giving her my full Auntie Lynn's Chinatown Tour! And then some. heheheh
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          I'll be meeting with Leo's friend this Saturday and giving her my full Auntie Lynn's Chinatown Tour! And then some. heheheh
          I can think of no better resource - mahalo, Lynn!

Comment

Too bad Glen Grant went make. He would have been good for this.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Rain didn't stop my Chinatown Tour this morning.

I met Joy, her hubby and a friend in front of Hawaii Theater. They'll be going back there to watch Manu and his Halau this afternoon for their Anniversary performance.

Char Hung Sut was closed for vacation.

I took them through the back roads, told them stories, gave them information, showed them side walks that were laid down one by one. Chinatown is full of 140 years of History.

It's always an honor to give Auntie Lynn's Chinatown Tour!

Mahalo Greg.

Lynn

P.S. I also took them to the Police Sub-Station. She spoke to the Officer in Charge and got some information on the original Police Station on Beretania.

Comment

i would love a tour of china town aunty lynn
                stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                  i would love a tour of china town aunty lynn
                  Shua! Lemme know when.

PM me.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Oooh!! Let me know when, please - I would LOVE to tag along!! And I'll buy lunch!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Okay, we now have enuf interested parties to have a party!
                      If Auntie is game, let's figure out a workable day/time for most to meet up and then mob the neighborhood with HTers wearing their post-hangover Halloween costumes.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Chinatown Tour
                        Nov. 2, 2008 Sunday
                        Meet in front of Hawaii Theater
                        9:30 a.m.

See ya!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Auntie - you da bess! Mahalo for taking care of my friends.

Comment

I'll be there!! I just dragged Sven out of bed, and we're looking up directions to Hawaii Theater right now!!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              I'll be there!! I just dragged Sven out of bed, and we're looking up directions to Hawaii Theater right now!!
                              Let's see...8:57a post from Kaneohe, still need directions, Sven still rubbing sleep outta eyes...9:30a gathering at Hawaii Theater. Didya make it in time?

Comment

Working...
                              X