Kahana Valley evictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kahana Valley evictions

I'm against ALL the leases in the park - no one deserves this type of 'special treatment', no matter how long they've been squatting. I see no fairness in allowing a few individuals or families to build houses and live in a state park. The families without leases have been repeatedly asked to leave for years, so pretending that they were given only 72 hours notice is a misrepresentation, at best.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

There has been an entire sub-division of newly built homes for about 10 years now farther inside. I have friend's that own some of them.

The State is totally without credibility on the issue.

Calls are now being made for Theilan's resignation, and rightfully so, and she should not be the only one to go.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I agree that the state lacks credibility, but only because they haven't already evicted the squatters and not because they are now trying to do so. When the state fails to enforce the law, then it lacks credibility and law-breaking becomes common. Only when laws are enforced can governments have credibility.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          There may well be more to the story, but the AG's opinion that the state lacks the authority to offer new leases is very questionable. If this is true, how and why did the prior leases come to be? The story states that those expired 13 years ago. If not the state, then who possesses the authority to work out new leases? This the state government in its shameful moment of callous indifference.
          I don't know if the state's problem is so much indifference as it is, simply, not having a clearly defined long-term plan for Kahana Valley. This could lead to the perception that the state is being arbitrary and capricious in its decisions on who gets evicted and who gets to stay. Besides vagueness, the master plan could be old and obsolete and needs to be updated to match the current laws and the situation of the families presently living there.

I personally would be in favor of putting a hold on the evictions, but not leaving that as the solution. The legislature should create or revise a master plan for the park. One that is viable and will follow the letter of the law (including any applicable federal statutes). Once the law is enacted, then give DLNR the full power to enforce this plan. That would include evictions, wherever appropriate.

And folks: Evictions (even when it is fully appropriate, legal, and given with adequate warning) are always difficult and emotional situations for the people involved. Even when warnings are given out months (sometimes years) in advance, you'll always have those who stick around to the bitter end. It is human nature. Squatters on Sand Island. Expired leaseholders at the Kailuan Apartments. And now this.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

DLNR says no evictions this weekend

http://www.oha.org/index.php?option=...744&Itemid=225
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Up-date, Nov. 4

www.starbulletin.com/news/20081027_Kahana_Valley_evictions_delayed2.html#ful lstory

Glad to see Hee and Meyer putting some effort behind getting the players to talk seriously about the issues.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
              X