Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

    Last half hour has been a stunt prop plane again.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

      Blue Angels were 3:30 to 4:05. Fantastic, of course!
      If any of my photos are worth a darn, I'll post 'em. A couple of times they went straight over my roof and just a couple of hundred feet up, but they were so close and so fast I'm sure the camera couldn't handle it.
      Looking forward to Ryan's report...
      .
      .

      That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

        Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Blue Angels were 3:30 to 4:05. Fantastic, of course!
        If any of my photos are worth a darn, I'll post 'em. A couple of times they went straight over my roof and just a couple of hundred feet up, but they were so close and so fast I'm sure the camera couldn't handle it.
        Looking forward to Ryan's report...
        We had great viewing. Yesterday we made a little compilation of our photos to music. If I can figure out how to post it I will.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

          Taken today with my little Kodak EasyShare digital, so don't expect art, just snapshots:






          A few more to follow...
          .
          .

          That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

            Here's the second of the three sets:






            And the last are three are coming up next...
            .
            .

            That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

              The last three:



              Probably my favorite:


              And finally:



              Like I said, just snapshots, but I hope you enjoyed 'em.
              .
              .

              That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Like I said, just snapshots, but I hope you enjoyed 'em.
                FWIW, awesome! Mahalo for sharing, LN! I'm so envious of your bayfront perch of "convenience" to watch the show.

                I arrived at Kaneohe Marine Base at 2pm today, right when the F-22 Raptor demonstration started. AND THAT was "machinery love" at first sight! All $130 million tax-paying dollars of it (that would be for each one, not including gas and other overhead)! lol

                Seriously, like wow!!! As a solo performance, the Raptor pilot was able to really cut loose, keeping the engines in full afterburn (and probably watching his gas gauge suck down to zero very quickly) throughout most of the performance, pulling hard-G turns, radical angles of attack, high speed passes and stalls, showcasing the 22's vectored thrust capabilities. The Raptor actually looks bigger in flight than its replacement, the F-15 Eagle, thanks to its stealthy diamond wing and elevon shape.

                To me, the Raptor demo was the highlight of this year's Bayfest, as I've never seen it in flight doing such radical maneuvers, all up close and personal like it was done today. Almost a surreal experience, as before today, I've only seen the Raptor unleash its flight capabilities on YouTube and video games (ha). Today it was VERY real!

                The parking at the base was very well managed and directed, where from the front gate, I got in and parked within 5 minutes, and got out within 15 minutes, even with all the folks trying to depart at the same time.

                As for the schedule, it kinda' sucks that they can't give a solid time for each performance, yet I'm willing to bet tomorrow's Bayfest will follow closely with today's times. With that, DO NOT MISS the F-22 demonstration. Beyond amazing! That should happen at 2pm. Blue Angels at 3pm.
                Last edited by Pomai; September 25, 2010, 11:47 PM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                  Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  As for the schedule, it kinda' sucks that they can't give a solid time for each performance, yet I'm willing to bet tomorrow's Bayfest will follow closely with today's times.
                  That's what I figure too, and it's why I posted the updates yesterday, so folks planning to go today can kinda predict things.
                  Forecasters called for lighter winds today and possible rain showers this afternoon, so that might change the schedule.
                  .
                  .

                  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                    Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    That's what I figure too, and it's why I posted the updates yesterday, so folks planning to go today can kinda predict things.
                    Forecasters called for lighter winds today and possible rain showers this afternoon, so that might change the schedule.
                    I'll be waiting! Wow LikaNui -AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING your photos! WOW!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                      Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                      Wow LikaNui -AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING your photos! WOW!
                      Very funny, Leash! Like I said yesterday, they're just basic snapshots from a little Kodak EasyShare camera. I had it set on autofocus and zoomed as tight as it would go, then just waited until the jets got reasonably close, looked into the lens, and punched the camera shutter. With the camera pre-zoomed and the jets going as fast as 700mph at times, it was pretty hard to even find them in the lens, then try to follow them and not lose them and then hit the shutter without just capturing nothing but blue sky.
                      Oh, at one point the Blue Angels giant cargo plane named Fat Albert, a huge 4-engined prop plane, was doing a demo and popped over the hill behind me and came straight over my roof, maybe 200' above me... and I was changing batteries in the camera and missed the shot.
                      Anyway, right now the skies are mostly clear and tradewinds at 8 to 12 knots. The two military helicopters started doing security laps around the bay about 10 minutes ago.
                      Like yesterday, I'm doing a whole lot of house cleaning and will take breaks when I hear the jets.
                      Enjoy your day!
                      .
                      .

                      That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                        Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Very funny, Leash! Like I said yesterday, they're just basic snapshots from a little Kodak EasyShare camera. I had it set on autofocus and zoomed as tight as it would go, then just waited until the jets got reasonably close, looked into the lens, and punched the camera shutter. With the camera pre-zoomed and the jets going as fast as 700mph at times, it was pretty hard to even find them in the lens, then try to follow them and not lose them and then hit the shutter without just capturing nothing but blue sky.
                        Oh, at one point the Blue Angels giant cargo plane named Fat Albert, a huge 4-engined prop plane, was doing a demo and popped over the hill behind me and came straight over my roof, maybe 200' above me... and I was changing batteries in the camera and missed the shot.
                        Anyway, right now the skies are mostly clear and tradewinds at 8 to 12 knots. The two military helicopters started doing security laps around the bay about 10 minutes ago.
                        Like yesterday, I'm doing a whole lot of house cleaning and will take breaks when I hear the jets.
                        Enjoy your day!
                        Nice to hear how you did them. My husband got up on our roof and did some great ones. We just got home from church and are awaiting to hear noise!
                        Enjoy your day too!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

                          Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Oh, at one point the Blue Angels giant cargo plane named Fat Albert, a huge 4-engined prop plane, was doing a demo and popped over the hill behind me and came straight over my roof, maybe 200' above me... and I was changing batteries in the camera and missed the shot.
                          Well, I made up for it today, getting some awesome shots of Fat Albert when it flew right over me again today. And the F-22 Raptor stayed way out over the base again, so no photos of that one, but some more good ones of the F-18s, including some with the Koolau mountains in the background. I'll post a few here later or tomorrow.
                          Oh, I also got two great photos of a kolea sitting on top of my roof right in the middle of the Blue Angels show, not even scared of the noise. Amazing! (It's kind of fun every time the Angels or Thunderbirds come here to watch zillions of birds flash out of the area as soon as the jets make their first pass. I mean, I feel sorry for the birds, but still fun to see so many in the air at once.)
                          Looking forward to seeing Leashlaws photos too!!!
                          .
                          .

                          That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

                            We had an amazing show as well! He went on the roof again from various points and got some great shots! Our Kolea that lives on our roof also had no fear of the noise just stood there and grasped for bugs in his mouth. I'll post some photos later too! Dinner just off the grill!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

                              I posted some clips of the Blue Angels performance to YouTube:

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvi13yBQui0

                              I was armed only with my no-zoom iPhone 4, and edited the video on the phone, but I think it turned out pretty good!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

                                That wasn't good, Ryan. That was GREAT! I felt like I was there.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X