7-point star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-point star

I think I have never asked this here before, but my memory is getting so fragmented due to age and abuse, that I had best ask it now.

I have shared with a few of you that the seven-point star I use as my avatar/logo here is the reason I came to Hawai`i.

In the 1970's, I drew it on a whiteboard, and recognized that it was significant (somehow?). Further exploration drew me to Leinani Melville's "Children of the Rainbow," where he/she wove a synthetic (to my eyes) meaning. However, I encountered this symbol in the Micronesian basket lid, and elsewhere.

A "Huna" group on the big island had it, in a circle, as their decoration on their sails, and incorpoated into their records, as a symbol of Kanaloa.

Now it has been discarded, in light of NLP taking over their organization (too bad) as far as I can tell. However, the kumu hula, Frank (kawai) Hewett has several 7-point star symbols on his body, as I do.

I asked, but he refused to share his knowledge of meaning.

I took the tattoos before I knew their meaning, I really still don't.
    My tattoo is a seven-point star with a cenrtral red 'eye.'
    Hence my name: kaonohi`ula`okahokumiomio`ehiku.

The red eye at the center of the seven-point star, I don't know, nor the seven radients. But they are reproduced in micronesian basketware!

Wow, what a mouthful!

If any of you have insigiht into this name, please share it with me. My time is evidently short.

I suspect they have to do with Polynesian Navigation.

Any takers ??????
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: 7-point star

Maersk has a 7-point star as its logo. I'm guessing it has something to do with navigation.

http://www.maersk.com/Pages/default.aspx
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

This again? The very first thread you started on HT was about this.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

As it was in the beginning, so it will be in the end. There you go, 'so it will be in the end'.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          This again? The very first thread you started on HT was about this.
          Thanks scrivner. I'm 64 yrs old and my memory is rapidly deteriorating. I'm so glad I have folk like you to remember things for me.

Perhaps it is time for me to go quietly into that good night, or whatever that was.... and to take all my fantisies with me.

With the pain I suffer daily, and the disconnects I experience (such as this), it hardly seems worthwhile to stay around.
          Last edited by Kaonohi; February 29, 2012, 11:47 PM.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Kaonohi please stick around.
            Life has ups and downs.
            Seven is a lucky number.

Comment

It's fine. I look forward to hearing this question again in 2015.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Kaonohi...you know how it's recommended for people our age to do crossword puzzles to help birth new brain cells? Think of HT as a crossword puzzle. Please don't leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  With the disconnects I experience (such as this), it hardly seems worthwhile to stay around.
                  You're hardly the only one the repeat police have nothing better to do with. Ignore them, and carry on, you're fine.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Who really is bothered if a topic has been brought up in a previous post from years ago? For me, new forums are welcomed reading. Kaonohi, don't be dissuaded from posting.
                    Last edited by Amati; March 1, 2012, 04:21 PM.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

My mild annoyance wasn't that it had been brought up again. It was that it had been brought up again by the same original poster. Isn't one of the benefits of the Internet (and other forms of the written word) that we can go back and look at what's been said in the past? It took three mouse-clicks to find that original post; a Google search would have been even faster.

I'm not saying this is a crime against humanity, but what does it say to us when someone asks us for our feedback on something in 2008, then forgets that it was even brought up a few years later and asks again? It's as if the original responses didn't even matter or count for anything.

As for being the "repeat police," please. I've never assumed that role, so one mild annoyance about it in eight years on HT shouldn't be enough to brand me this way. If I'm the only one who took mild offense, that's fine. I should be allowed to express it without being labeled.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

As for being the "repeat police," please. I should be allowed to express it without being labeled.
                        Sure, and you're not the main focus of my label, just one who did it and got caught in the crossfire. I aimed it mostly at one of my bigger and not worthy of mention fans here. ZING!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

...but what does it say to us when someone asks us for our feedback on something in 2008, then forgets that it was even brought up a few years later and asks again?
                          Perhaps it says (as did Kaonohi himself) that the o.p. may be having some age- or health-related memory issues.

Comment

Ai yi yi yi yi...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Perhaps it is time for me to go quietly into that good night, or whatever that was.... and to take all my fantisies with me.

With the pain I suffer daily, and the disconnects I experience (such as this), it hardly seems worthwhile to stay around.
                              Kaonohi, upon rereading your postings [and forgive me if I've taken things out of context in the quote above], it seems you are having some difficulties right now, including pain. I am sorry to hear that, and I'm sure I speak for your many friends here on HT that I hope you are doing better soon. Be well and take care, and don't abandon your HT ohana.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X