The old Civic Auditorium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old Civic Auditorium

Many of my friends are forelorn in their fond memories of the Civic, and tho it was demolished the year before I hit these shores for them I hope to produce a documentary of this now nearly forgotten venue. After reading Gentleman Ed Francis' new book on 50th State Big Time Wrestling with it's many behind the scenes mentions of the Civic began my new obsession towards finding out all I can about what went on there.
    After a depressing start in finding subject matter of any kind in regards to the Civic beyond the handful of photos everybody's seen I'm building up steam after today's cache' of B&W shots I scored showing local and mainland bands playing on stage in 1958. I'm also on the trail of former promoter Al Karasick's grandson, who may prove another valuable resource. I'm just now finding out he was a wrestler himself, having developed the reverse head lock! He was also a WW2 war hero, as told in Ed's great book.

There's so much history in the mere 40 years the Civc existed but all those that were involved are gone or are aged and memories are becoming increasingly hard to come by. Most that are left are those that filled the seats at the many eventsthat ended in '74 and I need to tap into that reservoir before it dries up. I've started compiling names and numbers of people that want to contribute to the documentary and eventually will be recording as much of their input as possible, mayby even having roundtable discussions to bring out more tidbits that otherwise could be forgotten. It'll probably end up as a video-doc, as that can be accomplished without major expense and I've got most of the equipment needed, and seeing and hearing someone tell their tales backed with pix and info is much more interesting than a book.
    It's shocking and disheartening how little there is about the Civic to be found, it was THE place for Oahu back in the day, yet such a severe paucity of ephemera and documented history is sad, that needs to be corrected.

We've had a few mentions of the old Civic here on HT, and I'd like to hear what our little gang of baby boomers and those who were earlier have to say about those days.
    When did you first go, what did you see?
    What was the front facade like, and where did you like to sit, what were your favorite events and moments?
    What else besides wreastling, roller derby, concerts were held there? Do you recall Hawaiian music entertainers on stage?
    Who remembers the workers, like the enigmatic 'Velasco' who maintained the place for decades?
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 21, 2013, 07:40 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: The old Civic Auditorium

There is another auditorium next to the hospital on Waianuenue drive in

Hilo next to the wailuku

This structure is very subtle as it is now grown over with jungle..

Comment

Tom Moffat would be a very good source for information being that he presented the Show of Stars for many years. They played a lot of the high school basketball games there. The most famous being the one that the St. Louis players through the game for the gamblers. The same lady who sold her peanuts at the stadium was also there selling her peanuts. We tried to sit at the very top near the exhaust fans.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
        Tom Moffat would be a very good source.
        They played a lot of the high school basketball games there. The most famous being the one that the St. Louis players through the game for the gamblers.
        The same lady who sold her peanuts at the stadium was also there selling her peanuts.
        We tried to sit at the very top near the exhaust fans.
        Tom is at the top of my wish list, with Jacobs, and Ed Francis, but expecting Tom to slow down for a second ain't realistic. Besides, he'd want to keep my photos!
        Great historic sidebar, thanx. What year was that? What was the opposing team? Who was fingered?
        Anybody recall her name? What about the manapua man?
        Was it hot in there? Where there any actual windows? Did kids throw ropes out to their friends? Did they torch the doors for the first Led Zep?
        Recall the yellow rats sold at wrestling events?

Is Jane McCabe/Baby Doll still alive?
        She's one of those shown in the high quality Star Of Stars pictorial I was given, along with Frankie Avalon, The Everly Bros. Dion/Belmonts, Robin Luke, The Fleetwoods, The Champs, Dick Jensen/Uniques, The Royal/Jolly Drifters, Teddy Chinen/Jokers, Teddy Randazzo, Addrisi Bros., Ernie Freeman, etc. Cooler still, besides all the awesome amps and guitars, is incidental background showing things like the exaust vents, seating, a large clock, and interior billboards.
        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 27, 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

The year was either '58 or '59 and the two names I recall are Francis AhYat and James Naneole. I cant' recall whether or not anyone was convicted. There no windows per se but there were "slats" and exhaust fans. and it got very hot and humid in there. Like at the old stadium when the games were over there were a lot of HRT buses lined up to take people home.

Comment

If you’re going to do something about the Civic Auditorium, you can not ignore boxing at the Civic. Boxing was big in the Hawaii during the early years (i.e. Carl “Bobo” Olsen) thanks to colorful and legendary promoter “Sad Sam” Ichinose (and partner Ralph Yempuku). There was also Roller Derby at the Civic, although Hawaii’s home team was the Los Angeles Thunderbirds, if I remember correctly.

I also remember after the Civic was torn down, and a high-rise building built on that location, there was a 24-hour restaurant that occupied the ground floor called The Civic. The waitresses all wore referee outfits. The restaurant didn’t last too long.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
              The year was either '58 or '59 and the two names I recall are Francis AhYat and James Naneole. I cant' recall whether or not anyone was convicted. There no windows per se but there were "slats" and exhaust fans, and it got very hot and humid in there. Like at the old stadium when the games were over there were a lot of HRT buses lined up to take people home.
              I'll research those names, D', thanx.
              King St. was two-way for many years and I heard buses heading Ewa stopped right in front of The Civic, but I'd never heard they'd line up for the crowd, pretty cool.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              If you’re going to do something about the Civic Auditorium, you can not ignore boxing at the Civic. Boxing was big in the Hawaii during the early years thanks to colorful and legendary promoter “Sad Sam” Ichinose and partner Ralph Yempuku. There was also Roller Derby at the Civic, although Hawaii’s home team was the Los Angeles Thunderbirds.
              I also remember after the Civic was torn down there was a 24-hour restaurant that occupied the ground floor called The Civic. The waitresses all wore referee outfits. The restaurant didn’t last too long.
              Boxing was the big draw in the earlier decades but I'm still looking for info on much of that. The Derby was never my thing but being an LA guy that spent plenty of time at the famed Olympic Aud. I had my share of the Thunderbirds and rrrrRALPHIE VALLADARES! A long shot dream would be to tap relatives of Yempuku and Ichinose for more angles and whatevers. Earl Finch is another promoter's name from the '50s that I need to explore.
              I know they had photos and 'stuff' from The Civic in the former club and I'm tracking that down, if there's anything left to see.
              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 28, 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Missing man; just confirmed one of the remaining mystery performers in the SoS batch as Gene '100 Pounds Of Clay' McDaniels.
                And I got an email off to Gentleman Ed. Progress!

Comment

Momentum might be building faster with my access to Ed now, he's up for helping me which is way cool, and Leslie Wilcox has a PBS interview with Ed coming up soon which should be fun.
                  Ed Francis
                  Tuesday, April 9 at 7:30 pm,
                  Wednesday, April 10 at 11:00 pm
                  Sunday, April 14 at 4:00 pm
                  Leslie Wilcox talks story with "Gentleman" Ed Francis, a legend in Hawaii's pro wrestling world. Francis was a household name in the 1960s and 1970s, during the heyday of 50th State Big Time Wrestling. He recalls how wrestling facilitated his move to Hawaii and a life-threatening riot at Honolulu's Civic Auditorium. Francis says he now leads a quiet life in Kansas.

Q-Al Rosen originally owned The Civic, but for how long, til it's demise or did The City take it over, or someone else buy it? Was Rosen a local family?

Comment

TV ints. w/Ed;
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSMR_TVlGHU
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKLt-J2BSI
                    http://gentlemanedfrancis.com/eds-aloha-book-tour/
                    Anybody know where I can find the interviews Ed did with Mike Buck/KHVH or ESPN?
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 15, 2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Here's a picture of the Civic on its way out...

Saw a number of concerts there (Dead, the Airplane, Quicksilver, Steve Miller, Jethro Tell, etc.).

Wally Tsutsumi (the wrestling referee) also served as ticket-taker at the door for some of these concerts.

Cool place (maybe not literally)....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X