Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honi, the Hawaiian version of a kiss.

I have run into two different versions of honi:

1) Brushing cheek-to-cheek or touching noses on both sides alternately, usually right-right, then left-left, with breathing in through the nose.

2) Forehead to forehead and nose to nose with exchange of 'ha' by reciprocal alternate breathing through the mouth. (This version is new to me)

Both of these were taught to me by native Hawaiians. I've been unable to find a textual reference other than Pukui and Elbert: Hawaiian Dictionary:
    "formerly, to touch noses on the side in greeting." Simlarly stated in Nana I Ke Kumu #2, Pukui et. al.

Thoughts? Facts?
    Last edited by Kaonohi; May 1, 2014, 09:29 AM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Honi, the Hawaiian version of a kiss.

We have had a couple of conversations about this. There was a very brief conversation about the meaning of the terminology, and earlier, in one of our many discussions about hugs and hugging, we talked about the honi in the corporate environment.

I am not a fan in any of settings we've discussed.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      We have had a couple of conversations about this. There was a very brief conversation about the meaning of the terminology, and earlier, in one of our many discussions about hugs and hugging, we talked about the honi in the corporate environment.

I am not a fan in any of settings we've discussed.
      Thanks scriv, I'll check them out.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The fist bump, or earlier hammer version, is the best gesture produced so far with little to no transferring of germs or greetings dance.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
        X