Drafting women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting women

All military jobs are open to women, after the Pentagon removed restrictions including special operation forces last year.

Now, reported by the StarAdvertiser:
    The Obama administration declared its support Thursday for requiring women to register for the military draft, a symbolic but significant shift that reflects the U.S. military’s evolution from a male-dominated force to one seeking to incorporate women at all levels.
    As women continue to integrate into different areas of military service, Obama pushes the envelope by announcing his support of a draft that includes both men and women. While I do respect women who choose to serve, I cannot support the drafting of women which would be used in times of war. If my son is facing an extremely dangerous situation which requires a high degree of physical strength and fortitude, I don't want the person fighting by his side to be a 5 ft, 100 lb, 20 year old female who has been drafted into the military and finds herself in the midst of combat.

The White House emphasized that the administration remains committed to an all-volunteer military — meaning women, like men, wouldn’t be forced to serve unless there were a national emergency like a major world war.
    I'm not in favor in any way of drafting women into combat, not even in "a national emergency like a major war".
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Drafting women

Would it make you feel any better if the person by his side was a 5 ft, 100 lb, 20 year old male?
    We went through the same thing in my govt. job when they integrated women into the industrial work. It was pointed out that some of the men we already had in the shop were smaller than the women that were coming in. Other than the couple of women that were there for the free ride they all put a lot of effort into doing all they could to do the job.
    Also I don’t think today’s military would put people into harm’s way that was not trained and tested to do that job.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Comment

Re: Drafting women

[The quote feature isn't working for me right now, so I'll use "re"]
      re:Would it make you feel any better if the person by his side was a 5 ft, 100 lb, 20 year old male?

No, unless there was enough testosterone in the mix to have made him into a small package of pure powerhouse.

I have the same issue with small females as on-the-beat police officers, too. Yes, "size does make a difference".
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
      X