What People Earn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Earn

Today's Parade magazine - a weekly color tabloid that's inserted in Sunday newspapers nationwide - is a survey of personal incomes in the U.S. It includes over a hundred thumbnail profiles of people all over the country - who they are, where they live, what they do, and how much they make.

Out of them, three faces of islanders are mixed in.

• Jen Kunishima, 31, pet-boutique owner, Honolulu, $105,000.
    • Alfred Koscina, 62, coffee company owner, Honolulu, $50,000.
    • Linda Rosehill, 54, consulting firm owner, Honolulu, $215,000.
    Would've been nice to see a name from outside Honolulu... and a note disclaiming that Hawaii's cost of living actually makes any local salary less than it appears to be...

Anyone dare share what they do, and what folks in their profession generally earn in Hawaii? How does that compare to what you'd make on the Mainland?

Re: What People Earn

Notice that all 3 locals mentioned are owners of businesses? I'm sure most of the working Nanis and Kawikas make way less than that.

Up here, I am a Network Systems Analyst and I make more than $85k (I should be getting a raise and a bonus, too, next month). I bet if you can find that job description in Honolulu, that person would be making about $25-20k less than me, which kinda sucks because your cost of living is so much higher than up here. That's why I can't afford to move back until I retire in about 5 years, and even then, I will probably have to work parttime just to pay for groceries!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; March 13, 2005, 07:39 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ok, sold the family business before we went under. I recieve enough income (selling soap, coffee and other products) to get by. My rent is cheap (public housing). Everything else I need, my children makes sure I get. My new washer from my youngest was delivered today. What do I make? I really dunno...don't want to know. I may have a heart attack!

13 more days till I hit it in Vegas! I'll let you all know at the picnic.hehheheh
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I am a Network Systems Analyst and I make more than $85k. ... I bet in Honolulu, that person would be making about $25-20k less than me...Miulang
        I can verify that. And not only that, IT peoples' jobs are under constant attack. Downsizing is an annual event.
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Well, as a Federal investigator my salary would be in the 6-digits working in Honolulu due to the 25% COLA. However, it wouldn't be enough to match the lifestyle I have here in terms of my house, the neighborhood, the school district. I've had the opportunity to transfer to Honolulu; my husband and kids are all for it. But I'm always the practical one.

Miulang:

Using a salary calculator at homefair.com that compares the cost of living between cities, it shows that a salary of $85k in Seattle would be comparable to a salary in Honolulu of $125,919. Do you think you could live your current lifestyle at that salary in Honolulu?
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
            Miulang:

Using a salary calculator at homefair.com that compares the cost of living between cities, it shows that a salary of $85k in Seattle would be comparable to a salary in Honolulu of $125,919. Do you think you could live your current lifestyle at that salary in Honolulu?
            The only way I could afford to move back to Hawai'i is if my parents give me the second house they own in Kula. Otherwise, even with selling my condo (now worth close to $200k) it would be tough to move back and own a house. I certainly don't want to move to Honolulu. In about 5 years or so, I might retire to the Big Island. Later this year, I'm going to the Big Island to scope out land. I want to build my own house.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here in Oklahoma, i live on 436 a month child support, 68-80 every two weeks or so from one job and 40 bucks a day paid once a month resulting in how many ever days i worked (substitute teacher). I admit that i accept help from two gov. programs seeing how i do pay into that pot so to speak. I dont spend beneath my means meaning no credit cards or splurging that i cannot handle. If i want or need something, i have to scrimp somewhere else to save for it or i go without.
              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
                Thats a great site since it even allows me to compare canadian cities to american ones on some of the comparison factors...thanks! If anymore, please do share
                There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

I'm making slightly under $40K as a college librarian. Started out at this job 5 years ago at $30K. Not enough to get by as a single person in NYC *or* Honolulu. And to think I moved here b/c I thought I could afford my own place... It's impossible even in Queens and Bklyn now. You get a 3% raise but the rents go up $100 in one year, you can't keep up...

Comment

Ok, just curious and in the thinking stage!

I live in North Texas on about $50k/year.

There's a job possibility on Oahu. Unspecified pay, but after looking at liiving costs and moving costs I'd have to make much more!

I'm not talking about selling a house or moving kids. Just as a single person the difference is amazing. On top of the cost of living add in the state income tax!

Yes, I understand why the difference. I also understand moving to a totally different culture. It would be a major change and a 'living smaller' attitude. I'm not a Texas redneck who wants to wear boots all day and lunge around in a monster truck churning up mud on weekends!

Still thinking about it..........

Comment

Welcome to hawaii threads! see you on the boards. oh! think hard about coming here, it's not easy. check out some of the other threads on the topic. lots of information.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; May 23, 2005, 01:15 PM. Reason: oops. spelling
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have been thinking about this for a while being that I want to move home. I notice that no one who replied is in CA? CA cost of living is just as bad as in Hawaii. I have been trying to do the research and if you can get the same pay in Hawaii as you do in the mainland there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. Then when you figure you'll be closer to your Ohana and friends etc... Am I missing something or is it just because CA is out of whack or am I just so desperate to move home I can spin anything?
                        Kaleo
                        HomegrownHawaii.com - classmates, friends...ohana!

Comment

Originally posted by t3645
                          Ok, just curious and in the thinking stage!

I live in North Texas on about $50k/year.

There's a job possibility on Oahu. Unspecified pay, but after looking at liiving costs and moving costs I'd have to make much more!

I'm not talking about selling a house or moving kids. Just as a single person the difference is amazing. On top of the cost of living add in the state income tax!

Yes, I understand why the difference. I also understand moving to a totally different culture. It would be a major change and a 'living smaller' attitude. I'm not a Texas redneck who wants to wear boots all day and lunge around in a monster truck churning up mud on weekends!

Still thinking about it..........

I researched the cost of living for Hawaii using many of the cost of living calculators online and don't know how Hawaii residents do it.In my county in NJ,everyone drives Benzes and million dollar homes are in the poorer towns.But in a more middle class typical town in a county next door,the per capita income is $50,000 a year while the per capita income for someone in Honolulu is $27,000 a year.On top of that is the fact that someone making $50,000 a year would need $60,000 in Honolulu to keep the same standard of living back in NJ.
                          If I didn't go into business or work,I could get almost $2000 net positive cash flow a month from a couple properties and may get another $1000 a month from interest on my New Zealand dollar CDs,money market accounts,etc.,but $3000 a month living in Honolulu is pushing it and it would be a bare minimum
                          existence.Plus just lying in the sun can get boring fast.
                          One's own business or real estate is how most of the millionaires achieved their wealth.Plan to do both and hope for a 50% success rate.

Comment

i'm not even sure what i make monthly, but i can say this: my one "paycheck" is a 3-hour a day, monday-friday gig as a news writer that pays me $1K per month...i have commercial writing clients who retain my services and a steady freelance gig that also kick in as income...i also make some side cash playing rock and roll show...my share of the rent is $590, utilities included, for a 1-bedroom on bishop street i share with my girlfriend of 5 years, who is leaving to return to the midwest after graduating from HPU with a BA in applied sociology, because she is convinced that she could never find work in her field or make enough money here...auwe...

anyway...it's hard out here in hawaii, but possible...it's also exciting to be a bad month away from indigence lol
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by HomegrownHawaii.com
                              I have been thinking about this for a while being that I want to move home. I notice that no one who replied is in CA? CA cost of living is just as bad as in Hawaii. I have been trying to do the research and if you can get the same pay in Hawaii as you do in the mainland there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. Then when you figure you'll be closer to your Ohana and friends etc... Am I missing something or is it just because CA is out of whack or am I just so desperate to move home I can spin anything?
                              The same job as you might have in SoCal will pay approx. 30% less in Hawaii on average. I've done the research. Food is more in Hawaii as is fuel although not so much as to wipe you out. Salaries are lower. Adjustment of lifestyle could produce a savings but some things like airfare are the same throughout the country. Hawaii still a great place to be poor though.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X