Alternative Lifestyles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative Lifestyles...

No, not much. You're always welcome to join in though!

Comment

One morning I hiked around the park area above Saint Louis heights and there was a young couple, and two separate guys living out in the open up there. Even discovered a tarpalin homestead with a great view of Palolo Valley. There's restrooms and drinking water around. It's quite a walk uphill to get up there though.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When my kids lived at home our 'stationary box' was slightly under 3000 sq. ft. in Kahala. Once they were out of the nest I downsized to 400 sq. ft. in Makaha. My kids think that's alternative to the max...akin to camping out! I think it's the best move I ever made.

Comment

Looks from the sidelines...peeps head in.

Ok, ok, I'm Bi! Bi-Polar!

Runs back to my hale.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was just out Waianae side and there is a quite large tent city, separated into a couple of "neighborhoods". It's not easy living that way but everyone seemed happy, contented and carefree. The kids I saw were healthly, tanned and laughing it up. I believe they must be using pit toilets like we do in the village in Fiji 'cause I didn't see any portapotty's. I wish them all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
              I was just out Waianae side and there is a quite large tent city, separated into a couple of "neighborhoods". It's not easy living that way but everyone seemed happy, contented and carefree. The kids I saw were healthly, tanned and laughing it up. I believe they must be using pit toilets like we do in the village in Fiji 'cause I didn't see any portapotty's. I wish them all the best.
              Whereabouts in Waianae? While it's no longer exists, a homeless congregation of vans and cars, many with tarps, congregated on an empty lot on Farrington Hwy. mauka of the Waianae boat harbor. Most disturbing about this situation were men openly urinating next to the sidewalk in full view of car and pedestrian traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Whereabouts in Waianae?
                Past the "normal" civilization but before Keawe ula (Yokohama's) Beach Park. On both the Mauka and Makai sides of the road. There were alot of cars and vans also.

Comment

Oops. Wrong thread. Never mind.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Another avenue...

There are 24 hours in a day and most folks work 8 of them.
                    So do you work the "normal" daytime 8-4 0r 9-5 ?
                    Or the Swing shift... 4-12midnight
                    Or even really alternative... Graveyard From 12midnight-8am
                    Or independantly wealthy / well invested so you don't have to work at all?

Both my wife and I work the swing shifts at our respective work sites.
                    It works well for us though sometimes we miss out on evening get-togethers other's put on.

Comment

You forgot a group...independent business owners! No such thing as shifts or 8 hour days.

I'm still at work...printing in the background!

Comment

I live in an average middleclass home. But on weekends, I need to unwind from work. I confine myself to my bedroom with a healthy diet of video games, bicep curls, and postin on HT. I step out only to get the mail, feed the dog, pee, shower, and get hot pockets.
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                          The reason I'm going over "the good old days" is because now I'm stuck paying over $1,000 in rent and bills per month in order to live in a stationery box. Along with the debt that my wife and I have created I feel so trapped. It's all about choices yeah?.
                          I feel your pain there. I think we bought into a house a little early considering our situation, but with the way houses were going a couple of years ago it seemed like they'd be out of our price range completely if we waited. (Not so, it turns out, but hindsight is 20/20...) Our house might qualify as a stationary box by a lot of suburban standards, but we did get a nice yard out of it.

Just sold one of our cars to try to dig out of the debt pit a little faster. It can be done! By the end of this month about half our credit card debt should be gone, and the rest at 3-6%. Planning to sell/give away a bunch of our "stuff" to clean out the packrat stash -- no intention of moving all that again.

There are 24 hours in a day and most folks work 8 of them.
                          So do you work the "normal" daytime 8-4 0r 9-5 ?
                          My job is awfully flexible, with the downside that I get almost no benefits from it, including vacation time. But I get to choose how much and when I work, and even where I work, as long as I get my stuff done in a reasonable time. Compared to the standard 9-5 cubicle life of others in my current line of work, I guess that's practically an alternative lifestyle

Comment

Did the rock and roll thing for many years. Not as much touring as I would have liked, but, really, 6 guys in a van full of gear and sleeping all in one hotel room is great when you're 22, but not so fun after the age of 32...

Currently in a house with way too big a mortgage, but I'm selling and going back to being a renter and worrying less. :-/

By the way, I know that Puna on the BI has alot of people living an alternative lifestyle...big hippie area from what I understand.
                            Last edited by tikiyaki; August 15, 2006, 06:45 AM.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                            X