X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul
    replied
    Re: Filipino's trying to be Hawaiian

By the same token, if all the native American tribes claimed the word "American" to mean just them, would that be okay? Nobody can claim to be an American if they don't have any native American blood.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
    the.mainland.'tourist'.kine.who.really.don't.know. better.
    The majority of whom never will learn, either. But most aren't going to Hawai`i to learn - most want the dream of paradise that's been the main selling point of the Islands for a century. Hawai`i needs those tourist dollars (though they come at a price, don't they?); but if you can find those rare ones who really are willing to discard their pre-conceived notions and are open to hear and see what is "real" about Hawai`i...

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by sinjin
    I'm haole too. Is it "PC" to know better?
    the.mainland.'tourist'.kine.who.really.don't.know. better.

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

A conversation of birthplace identification could ideally go like this:

"Where are you from?"

"I'm from Hawaii"

"So you're a Hawaiian." ('Are you Hawaiian?" or any various question of ID).

"No, I'm from Hawaii."

Real simple.

Mixed folks come in all shades of melanin, some have an abundance, some are melanin challanged, most however know their kinship ties. The habit of saying that you're 'X' always has the potential to be said while in the presence of someone who is native...then you'll have to deal with the inevitable questions of "Who's your family? Where are they from?"

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang
    I kinda like expat myself, because it infers that you still have an affinity for the land that you came from (meaning Hawai'i). Locals from Hawai'i are the only ones I know in the whole USA who refer to themselves as "expats". I don't hear Californians or people from any other state who move elsewhere call themselves "expats".
    I wonder if more people from Hawai`i hold onto a hope or dream or plan to return there someday than do people from any other state. (Can't say as I really feel much of a pull to return to live out my last days in Iowa...)

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    It helps to know that MadAzza and kimo55 spend time together as a couple; then the "Hawaiian Pride" sticker question causes chuckling amongst HThreaders.
    Oh. Okay. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

I wasn't. I meant the 'mainland Haoles', who don't know any better.
    I'm haole too. Is it "PC" to know better?

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

So....are we gonna see a Hawaii, where local people call themselves....what? Is "local" good enough? And locals on the mainland..."non-Hawaiian local boy"?

Any suggestions, before it starts sounding a little lolo? And xenophobic.
    Locals who've moved away from the 'aina still refer to themselves as "local" and deynokea if the Mainland guys dunno what that means. If they meet another "local", that's all that matters. Otherwise, you can call yourself an "expat". I kinda like expat myself, because it infers that you still have an affinity for the land that you came from (meaning Hawai'i). Locals from Hawai'i are the only ones I know in the whole USA who refer to themselves as "expats". I don't hear Californians or people from any other state who move elsewhere call themselves "expats".

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

And locals on the mainland..."non-Hawaiian local boy"?
    What I commonly hear in Seattle is "Hawaiian" for only the folks with kanaka maoli bloodlines; "local" includes them as well as other former Island residents. If someone is in touch with their own particular culture/ethnicity, they might also use "Whatever-American," but usually only when asked. And "Haole" is generally used in jest or with friendly tones, though not always.

Is that distinctly different from in the Islands?
    I really can't see the beef, here.....
    It helps to know that MadAzza and kimo55 spend time together as a couple; then the "Hawaiian Pride" sticker question causes chuckling amongst HThreaders.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Originally posted by sinjin
    I'm mainland "folk". Please don't speak for me.
    I wasn't. I meant the 'mainland Haoles', who don't know any better.

So....are we gonna see a Hawaii, where local people call themselves....what? Is "local" good enough? And locals on the mainland..."non-Hawaiian local boy"?

Any suggestions, before it starts sounding a little lolo? And xenophobic.

I really can't see the beef, here.....you guys all going drown, in PCness.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

This stuff has all gone too far! Have you all run out of things to hate/fight about, or what?
    This thread is from October 2005, only recently revived. While the initial post was a bit incoherent, the underlying issue is worthy of some discussion. In fact, we've covered it a few times before.

Yes, there IS a difference between being Hawaiian, and being from Hawaii...but why the beef? The folks on the mainland don't give a sh*t about how PC, or not, it is to be one kind of Hawaiian, or the other.
    Gee, generalize much? Even the AP Stylebook, the undisputed bible of the American press, specifically explains the difference between "Hawaiian" and "Hawaii resident." Not earth shattering, but definitely a step in the right direction in helping to further educate the general populace. There've certainly been fewer "Hawaiian judge rules against x" headlines out there (when the judge in question is Chinese!).

Plenty of people care, even if you don't.

Now, I am certain that folks from Hawaii, of any ethnic background, will easily fall into just calling themselves Hawaiian for shorthand, or even as a casual nickname, particularly in an area where most folks wouldn't know the difference between a native Hawaiian or a Korean -- it's just enough to know they're "different." I can imagine being a Filipino kid from Pearl City away at college in Iowa and being known campus-wide as "the Hawaiian guy."

But in some communities, and fortunately more and more of them, it's a significant difference.

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

I'm mainland "folk". Please don't speak for me.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

This stuff has all gone too far! Have you all run out of things to hate/fight about, or what?

Yes, there IS a difference between being Hawaiian, and being from Hawaii...but why the beef? The folks on the mainland don't give a sh*t about how PC, or not, it is to be one kind of Hawaiian, or the other. (They don't care about the American Indians, or the Australian Aboriginals, or the French/Spanish Basques, either.)

And, as for the Hawaiians, or non-Hawaiians, living in the Aina....A little less PC might be in order, too. It's great to see that the blood Hawaiians are finally getting the recognition that has been too many centuries coming, but get real!

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Really, dear? Then why do you put "Hawaiian Pride" stickers all over your cars?
    Looks nicer than duct tape?

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Really, dear? Then why do you put "Hawaiian Pride" stickers all over your cars?
    Cheap insurance?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X