Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Japanese-English

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    The correct and formal way is: Choto Mate Kurasai but the local way is "Choto" as in "we goin choto" meaning we are going in a little while.
    singing....Chotto matte kudasai, please excuse me while I cry....

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      Top of mind, a few more borrowed English words:
      • Terebī - TV
      • Kuruma - Car (not sure if this one is borrowed, but it sounds like it)

These are classics I've actually heard while working with Nihonjin tourists:
      • Maku no Dōnadū'dō - McDonalds
      • Baahga king'u - Burger King
      • Ceru Fō - Cellular Phone
      • Saafingu - Surfing
      • Haanbagu - Hamburger

A friend from Japan lived with us a few months, and she had the most difficult time trying to pronounce or distinguish L's and R's. Mainly because in Japanese, L's are non-existent and R's are "rolled" to sound more like D. Example...
      • crazy - she would say, "kū'lā'zee" or "kū'dā'zee"
      • really? - she would say, "ree'ree?" or "ree'dee?" or "lee'dee?" (Nihongo is "hōntō nī?")
      • lucky - "rucky" or "d'ucky"
      ... you get the idea.

"Kulazy"
      But in Japan they use Keitai denwa or keitai for cellular phone. Honto but Kansai dialect is Honma.
      Last edited by na alii; November 23, 2005, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toeknee
        In response to your original questions, snow-spike, I can think of a couple of Japanese words used widely among English speakers, even on the mainland. One is harakiri (often mangled and pronounced like the old Chicago baseball anouncer's name, Harry Carry) and the other we've heard a lot lately: tsunami. Good luck with your research!

Thank you for all of the replies.
        It really helps me. I suppose there are a lot of difference in understanding of Japanese word.
        What I found interesting is I didn't know some Japanese words that are used in Hawaii, because some of them are old, and are dialect of a certain area.

Comment

Originally posted by snow-spike
          Thank you for all of the replies.
          It really helps me. I suppose there are a lot of difference in understanding of Japanese word.
          What I found interesting is I didn't know some Japanese words that are used in Hawaii, because some of them are old, and are dialect of a certain area.
          Definitely dialect will make a difference. Like I mentioned the Kansai dialect. They use different words. Older words that are obsolete. 25% of my Japanese is obsolete because I learned from my mother who is from Japan. My cousin's daughters come to visit us in Hawaii and laugh at me because I use an old person's vocabulary. For example they use the English word "pantsu" for pants rather than zubon or tanpan for short pants rather than hanzubon. Benjo or Otearai is obsolete also as the use "toire" for toilet. I have to relearn the Japanese language.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

• Ceru Fō - Cellular Phone
            Actually, they don't use this one much. They normally say keitai denwa (携帯電話).

Comment

Originally posted by snow-spike
              I'd heard a lot of the immigrants to Hawaii came from the San'in area (Yamaguchi, Tottori, Shimane), and sure enough when I bought my car at Windward Toyota, one of the salesmen spoke some Japanese to my wife, who's from Yamaguchi, and the dialect he spoke was very similar to hers! I couldn't believe my ears. The salesman said he learned Japanese from his grandmother when he was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii
                My cousin's ex-husband is Darryl Murai. Didn't Dexter's dad own House of Dragon Chop Suey in Pearl City by Long's? Bob Nakamura worked at few places including Sportmotive on Hauoli St. and later TRE with Peter Chung on Artesian St..
                hmm....Daryl's ex is my cousin too....

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek

Gee how many cousins does she have?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                    Didn't you tell me the same thing on ForumsHawaii? I think you are related to her on her father's side. Steph's mom is my father's younger sister.

Comment

Working...
                    X