Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR RENT: 1 Closet, Kailua, $100/mo., utilities included

From Lee Cataluna's column:
    There were 33 replies and the closet was rented immediately.

Re: FOR RENT: 1 Closet, Kailua, $100/mo., utilities included

Originally posted by lurkah
    From Lee Cataluna's column:
    I can just see it now. Everybody going jump on the Bandwagon.

lanikai, hawaiikai closets foa rent $300.00 and up

kalihi /palama 25.00 - 50.00

mwh - at your risk! hahahaha

auntie lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

hmmmmm.... "four professionals" rent out a closet, to receive an extra one hundred dollars a month. After the laundry room was rented out! (hey, yo, dude, please stop using the washing machine for a toilet!)
      Doesn't sound as if the poorfessionals are very successful, nor do they have very lucrative professions...

Lee alludes to;
      'The landlords came up with a workable idea and people lined up for a chance to have a bed and a hot plate and a place to get their mail.'
      Sell their crack, ya mean.
      I don't think I would want a stranger in the house and share the bathroom with them, who can pay nothing more than a Franklin for living quarters, and who is happy sleeping in a closet.
      Uh... Lee, if the, uh, "real" landlord found out about this, they would probably kick out the povertyconcious four professionals as this would entail six people, and six cars and why would they stop at six...
      Hey, Gotta hammock in da back. Auction on Saturday!
      treehouse?! Sure, no prob, Bob. gethcur pillow, but nothing more.

good by to "safe neighborhood"...
      Last edited by kimo55; February 17, 2006, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but isn't there a law about rental units? Is renting out a closet like that even legal?

Comment

if they call it a vacation rental it will all be o.k...

Comment

heheheh. I've heard of "coming out of a closet" but moving INTO a closet? That's a new one.

Granted in places like NYC, a "studio" apt. may be about the size of a large walk in closet (like 300 sq ft), but it amazes me that they can get away with that kind of thing in Hawai'i. Like Glen said, if the "real" owners of the house ever found out about it, I'm sure they'd toss out those professionals on their ears.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think as working professionals that's a great idea to bring in an extra $100 bucks especially if they're still on the lower rungs of that corporate ladder.

Just because you're considered a professional that doesn't mean you make big bucks (yet or ever) considering a typical opala truck driver makes more than some engineers at HECO!

If that closet is not being used, heck why not? Put a hasp on the door and advertise it as public storage. Actually I'd think if you had a backyard and about $300 you could put up one of those metal sheds and advertise that space for a storage locker measuring 10 x 14' for $100 and after three months it's pure profit.

Just think what an extra $100 buys you every month...hmmm free broadband internet...cable AND satellite broadcasts...that latest X-box game...your cell bill...gas for your car...food on your table...Ipod shuffle every month...it goes on and on.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Like Glen said, if the "real" owners of the house ever found out about it, I'm sure they'd toss out those professionals on their ears.
                Why would ya say sumpin li'dat, Glen!? yer a real spoilsport!

Comment

And hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Just think what an extra $100 buys you every month... .it goes on and on.
                    tellya what else goes on and on... people stopping by at all hours of day and nite. the subletting of the closet and or the storage unit, no matter where it steh, the extra associates of renter dropping by, the things missing, the extra cleanup yer left with then they don't do their share...
                    You would lose two hundred dollars per month in earning power just stressing about what may be going on there at home while yer away...
                    on and on indeed.

Comment

The ad for that closet rental said that whoever rented it would "share a bathroom with four other people." Yeah, like that's gonna work out!

It makes me wonder: they say the house is "spacious" so why is there only one bathroom for five people?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        tellya what else goes on and on... people stopping by at all hours of day and nite. the subletting of the closet and or the storage unit, no matter where it steh, the extra associates of renter dropping by, the things missing, the extra cleanup yer left with then they don't do their share...
                        You would lose two hundred dollars per month in earning power just stressing about what may be going on there at home while yer away...
                        on and on indeed.

So you put restrictions on getting at your stuff. I'd imagine this kind of storage would be for those who need long term storage and won't be accessing it very often. A simple phone call to arrange a date and time for access is all that's needed.

And since Kimo, even if the stress is $200 per month, that's a good medical deduction that you'll get back every year from Uncle Sam anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          So you put restrictions on getting at your stuff.
                          easy, ya I know. use the aforementioned metal bar to prevent access to yer mail, stereo, garage, food in the reefer, computer, stuff lyin around... no problemo, I see, now...

Comment

hey all you need is one taker. As one Ebayer I know tells me, "There's a sucker born everyday"

If you put major restrictions that protects your property and sanity and you get just one person to buy into it, heck it's a win win situation right? If not well you get extra storage space for yourself.

Comment

The first place I rented on Oahu used to be carport that the owners walled up and made it available for rent as another room. It was the same level as a 2 bedroom unit that I shared with 3 siblings from Hilo (one of them was a college classmate and dear friend during my years in Hilo) and we shared the kitchen and shower. $150/month was the rent I payed but that was in 1981.

Comment

Working...
                              X