X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Something I'm puzzled by (Merrie Monarch division):

Why were the stands so empty after 8:30 or so? Were those all seats dancers used earlier in the night and then left as they completed their performances? My understanding was that you've got to reserve a ticket a year in advance, so wouldn't you stick around for the whole night?
    Let's also remember that Miss Aloha Hula didn't get done until 12:30 Friday morning.

On hula kahiko night most halau don't stay till the end of the night mainly because they have to be up bright and early Saturday morning to prepare for their `Auana. Depending on where the halau is staying, some have lots of miles to drive just to get some sleep. Last year, we stayed at the Kilauea Military Camp (about 30-45 minutes away) so we could avoid the hustle and bustle of Hilo Town.

I even know of some kumu who don't let their halau watch the Miss Aloha Hula competition on Thursday just to make sure they don't lose focus.

The area behind the stage is for halau/VIP only, and security's usually really good about not letting anyone in without that pass around your neck.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      That's Mark Kealii Hoomalu, who I mentioned above.
      I know he's gotten some criticism from certain people in the community, but I've always enjoyed his work -- innovative and borderline pushing the limits without losing respect for the hula.

And yes, I still love Lilo and Stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
        I know he's gotten some criticism from certain people in the community,[...]
        Do you know if that's why he didn't enter the competition for a few years? I, for one, really missed his participation.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          Thanks for the heads up, Blaine. What a well written, compelling blog.
          And, to top it all off...5 kids who she home schools. What an amazing young woman. Somehow I'll need to find a way to tape tonight's performance.

Comment

Do you know if that's why he didn't enter the competition for a few years? I, for one, really missed his participation.
            Mark Ho'omalu and Na Mele Hula 'Ohana also blew my socks off when they first shook and ruffled traditionalist hula feathers at Merrie Monarch '98, but he went on to disband that halau back in 2002 and is now back again in Hilo competing with dancers from his Academy of Hawaiian Arts which he founded in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              Mark Ho'omalu and Na Mele Hula 'Ohana also blew my socks off when they first shook and ruffled traditionalist hula feathers at Merrie Monarch '98, but he went on to disband that halau back in 2002 and is now back again in Hilo competing with dancers from his Academy of Hawaiian Arts which he founded in 2003.
              Thanks for the info, Lurkah. Interesting to learn that AHA is a non-profit.

Speaking of non-traditional hulas...did any of you see Robert Cazimero's halau dance hula to Prince's "7"? Must've been around 1997 or so, at the Hawaii Theater. At the end of the dance the entire, packed theater erupted in cheer. I've never experienced anything like it...ever.

Comment

Now that I've finally watched the entire kahiko competition on my DVR, a few things...

Am that the men of Halau I Ka Wekiu aren't competing this year. Usually Na Kumu Veto and Lanakila bring both the men and women, but not this year. Their kahiko number last year was brilliant...gotta love dances about "procreation".

I noticed that many halau doubled their size this year as there are more dancers participating. I wonder why?

Great to see Maelia, Chinky, and Mark Kealii Ho`omalu back.

Hula Halau o Kamuela and Na Lei Kaholoku were my favorites last night. Ka Leo o Laka I Ka Hikina o Kala were my favorite for the men. Being that Na Kamalei and Pu`uanahulu aren't competing this year, I can see them at the top with Snowbird and Mark Kealii Ho`omalu's men not far behind.

Auana tonight! Can't wait to hear the sounds of Lopaka Kanaka`ole, Ikaika Blackburn and Hoku Zuttermeister (saw them on TV sitting in the stands the other night). Can't forget about Na Palapalai, either...but too bad Holunape's pau for the festival.

Yay. My favorite night.

Comment

Shoes? Is that common, even for auana?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Shoes? Is that common, even for auana?
                    Mom mentioned high heels on the women. I don't know what that flooring is made of, but heels? I'd think the dancers would risk embedding them.

I wonder if there are long lines for foot baths after each performance?
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      Mom mentioned high heels on the women. I don't know what that flooring is made of, but heels? I'd think the dancers would risk embedding them.

I wonder if there are long lines for foot baths after each performance?
                      It's plywood...and it's pretty scuffed up already...so she'd be doing herself a favor by wearing heels. Halau rarely do, though, because the sound the heel makes when hitting the floor can get distracting.

Comment

Interesting. My wife says she noticed shoes a couple of years ago, so I'm just not paying close enough attention. Either they're really good at dancing quietly, or they've got soft soles. There was at least one other women's halau with footwear.

What about the male halau in military fatigues dancing to a Hawaiian "Battle Hymn of the Republic"? It was... interesting. Well intentioned, and appreciated, but painfully ironic in some ways.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Interesting. My wife says she noticed shoes a couple of years ago, so I'm just not paying close enough attention. Either they're really good at dancing quietly, or they've got soft soles. There was at least one other women's halau with footwear.
                          On the Merrie Monarch website, it shows a picture of the ladies of Na Lei o Kaholoku's auana from last year.

They got some chunky heels on.

Comment

Winners, plenty of photos and stories on starbulletin.com. We stayed up late just to punch out this stuff!

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/23/news/story04.html

Blaine
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I got home near the end of the competition and stayed up and watched for another 2 hours, 'til the end of the awards ceremony. I really think my favorite part of MM isn't the competition; rather, the time that the scores are being calculated and the winners decided when all of the kumu dance in the aisles, on the stage and in the bleachers. It absolutely brings me to tears it's just so beautiful. Watching those beaming faces, those graceful moves, their love of hula finds it's way right through the camera's lens, across the air waves, into the television tube, out the tv's screen and into my heart. Merrie Monarch is the only televised show that is able to do that to me.

And, Lei Liko...I'd like to thank you for your knowledgeable contributions to this thread. It kinda made me feel like I had a back stage pass! Mahalo.

Comment

Watching those beaming faces, those graceful moves, their love of hula finds it's way right through the camera's lens, across the air waves, into the television tube, out the tv's screen and into my heart. Merrie Monarch is the only televised show that is able to do that to me.
                                The first time I came to Hawai'i in 1994, the Merrie Monarch was being shown on TV. I found it so compelling that I sat glued to the set when I should have been outside doing something...

I've had the opportunity to see great dances from all over the pacific since then, but there is still something special for me in hula kahiko.

Peter F

Comment

Working...
                                X