Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Originally posted by tutusue
    Oh...damn. I hate it when that happens. I can't think of a single reason or excuse that can justify being an a$$h0!e. Not one. Not even 'talent'.
    A few years ago, PBS did a documentary on kumu hula continuing the traditions beyond Hawaii. Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu, Sissy Kaio, and Patrick Makuakane (former student of Robert Cazimero, making waves now for his "contemporary" hula) were featured.

If we got any indication of arrogance from Kumu Mark in the documentary, we got confirmation of it again in Wanda Adams' Merrie Monarch journal. It's no secret that he's the "bad boy" of hula, and one can't hold it against him because he chooses to "make points" rather than "earn them".

Manu Boyd's halau's performance was amazing. He Mana`o Aloha, Ala Pikake, and my Sweet Pikake Lei are some of my favorite all-time songs.

I'm also so glad that the younger kumu (Kaleo, Snowbird) did well also. Uncle Holoua must be proud.

With Halau Na Mamo O Pu`uanahulu and Na Lei o Kaholoku taking next year off, I wonder what the competition will be like?

I can't wait for next year...there's already a cabin at KMC with MY name on it!!!
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Best t-shirt seen from the merrie monarch...
      The traditional lei around the neck shirts....
      Auntie Rochelle sent me one! I'm wearing it to the halau tonight!

Comment

Working...
      X