X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Originally posted by tutusue
    She's absolutely gorgeous.

So, that makes Hoku Bianca's auntie?! Jeez...that's starting to sound like my family!
    You are absolutely correct. Bianca is the daughter of Dondi Ho Costa, "significantly" older sister to Hoku.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
      If their kumu thinks it's okay...then who are we to say otherwise?
      The clash of total physical control, dance perfection, emotional stability during the competition followed by such loss of control at the awards "ceremony" is unusual.

Lack of emotional control is juvenile.

Middle Easterners lack emotional control with anger. Just watch the news.

Modern toenail Hawaiians and Hawaiian Wannabees lack emotional control with celebration. You try watch. The less Hawaiian someone looks the more they jump and shout and scream. The more Hawaiian they look, the more calm their response.

If you like it, good. Seems like most people do as I'm the only one I know who has complained about it. So looks like I got the problem.

I watch the hula. I skip the awards.

Comment

I'm jealous of --- no, make that "happy for" Hilo/Seattle's own Rochelle delaCruz, editor/publisher of the Northwest Hawai`i Times, educator, and commentator for Hawai`i Public Radio. She had to be back in Hilo for family business, and while there, scored a front-row ticket to the festival!

Comment

Big Island Dancer Wins 2006 Miss Aloha Hula
          For the first time in three years, the winner of the Miss Aloha Hula title was not a member of kumu hula Sonny Ching's halau. This time the winner came from a Big Island halau. Bernice Alohanamakanamaikalanimai Davis-Lim blew away the field to take the title of Miss Aloha Hula 2006. Davis-Lim is a member of the halau Na Lei O Kaholoku.
          Of course, Sonny Ching's halau wasn't competing, since Ching was a judge. The standings were:
          • Winner: Bernice Alohanamakanamaikalanimai Davis-Lim
          • 1st Runner Up: Makalani Franco-Francis
          • 2nd Runner Up: Kapalai`ula Kamakaleikawainui de Silva
          • 3rd Runner Up: Ka`enaalohaokau`ikaukehakeha Aoe Hopkins
          • 4th Runner Up: Tatiana Kawehiokalani Miu Lan Tseu
          • Hawaiian Language Award: Ka`enaalohaokau`ikaukehakeha Aoe Hopkins
          Kahiko tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
            The clash of total physical control, dance perfection, emotional stability during the competition followed by such loss of control at the awards "ceremony" is unusual.

Modern toenail Hawaiians and Hawaiian Wannabees lack emotional control with celebration. You try watch. The less Hawaiian someone looks the more they jump and shout and scream. The more Hawaiian they look, the more calm their response.

If you like it, good. Seems like most people do as I'm the only one I know who has complained about it. So looks like I got the problem.

I showed this post to my wife, who is 95% Hawaiian, has danced hula for 55 years, has danced at the Merrie Monarch, who's Halau has won there. Her statement was "They put their heart and soul into dancing for 5 or 6 days a week, for sometimes 8 hrs at a time for at least a year if not more, because it is your life for so long, that's all you do is eat, breath and live hula, dem buggahs goin bust lose when they win, has nothing to do with being more Hawaiian then others, she also said that when her Halau won (not even first place) they where walking off the stage jumping for joy year was 1974. So it seems that it has been that way for a while now.
            Last edited by Pomai44; April 21, 2006, 08:22 AM.
            List of local people living on the mainland

Never forgotten

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/pomai44/pow.gif

Comment

The first time I plugged the festival on my blog I called it "the World Series of Hula." Whether you agree with that description or not, think about what happens when a baseball team (even one as jaded as the Yankees used to be) wins the final game. All those 20-somethings and 30-somethings go bonkers on the field.

If I were in a winning halau I'd do the same thing.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                The first time I plugged the festival on my blog I called it "the World Series of Hula." Whether you agree with that description or not, think about what happens when a baseball team (even one as jaded as the Yankees used to be) wins the final game. All those 20-somethings and 30-somethings go bonkers on the field.

I think it's more an "Olympics of hula" because of the physical and emotional dedication those dancers need in order to become the world class dancers that they are. And yes, winning is important but even more important (at least to me) is the honor they must feel in being able to share their aloha with people from all over the world. I hope the voluntary nature of MMF never goes away because if it ever becomes commercialized, it will tarnish the pure aspects of hula and diminish the art in more ways than just the money.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Of course, Sonny Ching's halau wasn't competing, since Ching was a judge. [...]
                  Sonny explained in an interview last night that his halau performs for 4 years then takes 2 years off. Yep! No way any of his dancers could be entered in the competition while he was a judge. BTW, at 44, Sonny is the youngest person to ever be a Merrie Monarch judge.

Have to admit, I'm disappointed that Bianca Costa didn't make the top 5. However, they were all beautiful dancers...not a loser in the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea

I wouldn't say that you have a problem. I'd say you were misguided.

If someone decided to act calm and mellow after willing an award, I don't think "Hawaiian-ness" has anything to do with it. Someone's self-control is based on their their own individual personality and character not limited to Hawaiian. To assume it's based on their "look" is purely ridiculous.

Kumu and their halau enter Merrie Monarch each year for their own reasons, but it is, after all, a COMPETITION. If it wasn't, then they wouldn't have that awards ceremony you detest so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Sonny explained in an interview last night that his halau performs for 4 years then takes 2 years off. Yep! No way any of his dancers could be entered in the competition while he was a judge. BTW, at 44, Sonny is the youngest person to ever be a Merrie Monarch judge.

Have to admit, I'm disappointed that Bianca Costa didn't make the top 5. However, they were all beautiful dancers...not a loser in the bunch.
                      Last year before preparations were made for MM '05, Kumu Sunny announced that after this competition, he wanted to take a few years off. The timing was perfect...Maile won Miss Aloha Hula, and both his kane and wahine walked away with the majority of the awards. I remember the flight back to Honolulu last year, and the words "HAPPY MERRIE MONARCH" rang throughout [we even had a banner].

After the wonderful exhibit last night from Maile, Jen, and Tasha, Kumu Sonny definitely has lots to be proud of...and now he can breathe a sigh of relief and take that break he so deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        • Winner: Bernice Alohanamakanamaikalanimai Davis-Lim
                        • 1st Runner Up: Makalani Franco-Francis
                        • 2nd Runner Up: Kapalai`ula Kamakaleikawainui de Silva
                        • 3rd Runner Up: Ka`enaalohaokau`ikaukehakeha Aoe Hopkins
                        • 4th Runner Up: Tatiana Kawehiokalani Miu Lan Tseu
                        • Hawaiian Language Award: Ka`enaalohaokau`ikaukehakeha Aoe Hopkins
                        Kahiko tonight!
                        I was surprised at a few of the above, but definitely not about Bernice and Makalani. Those two both hit it out the ballpark and I knew one of them was to take top honors.

What's most interesting, though, is how well "next generation" dancers did in the competition [Ka`ena, Kapalai`ula, and Bernice]...it's comforting knowing that everything's being passed down to their daughters and nieces.

Comment

You want to know what's surprizing? A friend of mine who has been living here in Hilo for over a year now was watching the Merrie Monarch last night when he turned to me and asked, "Craig...where is this being televised from?"

I couldn't believe my ears when I told him, "Right down the street about a couple of blocks from your home".

He responded, "Oh that's why I couldn't find any street parking when I got home".

And to think this is his second Merrie Monarch since moving to the Big Island.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                            Last year before preparations were made for MM '05, Kumu Sunny announced that after this competition, he wanted to take a few years off. The timing was perfect...Maile won Miss Aloha Hula, and both his kane and wahine walked away with the majority of the awards. I remember the flight back to Honolulu last year, and the words "HAPPY MERRIE MONARCH" rang throughout [we even had a banner].

After the wonderful exhibit last night from Maile, Jen, and Tasha, Kumu Sonny definitely has lots to be proud of...and now he can breathe a sigh of relief and take that break he so deserves.
                            The *only* good thing, for me, about Sonny taking a break is that my haircuts can stay on schedule between January and April! My avatar is a perfect example of what happens when my hairdresser is busy rehearsing for Merrie Monarch! After awhile, just gotta wear a hat!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              You want to know what's surprizing? A friend of mine who has been living here in Hilo for over a year now was watching the Merrie Monarch last night when he turned to me and asked, "Craig...where is this being televised from?"

I couldn't believe my ears when I told him, "Right down the street about a couple of blocks from your home".

He responded, "Oh that's why I couldn't find any street parking when I got home".

And to think this is his second Merrie Monarch since moving to the Big Island.
                              That is so funny. So he didn't know why Hilo Town suddenly has thousands of people in for the weekend? LOL

Street parking's choice because at least there's LIGHTS out there so finding your car is easier. It's a pain in the butt trying to navigate your way through the grass [especially if you're wearing heels and a new Sig Zane dress] just trying to find your car in the dark because you can't remember which row you parked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister

I simply have the most respect for individuals who do great things and yet are able to temper their response. We used to see that even in sports in the past but now certain cultures can't help but put on some silly show everytime they do anything minor.

Even if true with many sports, I thought (and I believe) that hula is spiritual and cultural. Baseball is not exactly spiritual in the same sense (I'm sure some would disagree with that).

With an event that borders on religious, the celebration just seems over the top. Nothing wrong with being proud and being happy. But the endless jumping up and down out of control is odd. It sends the loudest possible signal that "Hah, we won, you looze, we won you looze" Is that the message of the Merrie Monarch?

Wouldn't it be nice to ceremoniously "honor" the halau and kumu in a spiritual, respectful ceremony. Something classy and quiet. Something you might see in church. Something Hawaiian in sight, sound and smell?

Is this a spiritual and cultural experience? Or is it a sport?

Just one man's lonely opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X