Merrie Monarch 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

That would be proper but it wouldn't be in the likes of King David Kalaukaua who's moniker was the Merrie Monarch because of his demeanor.

But I agree that the reverence of the ancient Hula shouldn't become what it has now, a competative sport. It takes away from the true meaning and spiritual value of it's existance.

Kinda like the Superbowl...it's not about the game anymore but about the commercials and the halftime event. We're losing focus here.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
      Just one man's lonely opinion.
      And I appreciate the expression of that. I'm hoping ultimately we can focus on the positive aspects of this festival, but lest the discussion of this point seem one sided, let me say that I understand where you're coming from.

Given the kind of reaction we're told about for a breach of protocol documented earlier in this thread, where a spectator answered her cell phone during a performance, it's hard not to sense some kind of dichotomy between "reverent and elegant" performances and "unabashedly celebratory" award reactions. I mean, one day your heart aches and your eyes water over an especially moving hula performance. The next day, those same performers are cheering, jumping, pumping their fists in the air and "woofing" like football fans (or wherever that "woofing" stuff comes from).

But, well, I also agree that given the level of dedication required to perform at the festival, it's hard to expect the emotions -- especially as the festival draws to a close -- to be kept in check.

I mean, an actress might put in a serious, moving, engrossing performance in a movie that changes lives or the world. We might invest a lot into what we see in her performance. Then she shows up at the Oscars, wins, and blubbers like a baby and screams out her boyfriend's name on stage. I suppose it might be unbecoming... but definitely understandable.

Comment

I simply have the most respect for individuals who do great things and yet are able to temper their response. We used to see that even in sports in the past but now certain cultures can't help but put on some silly show everytime they do anything minor.

Even if true with many sports, I thought (and I believe) that hula is spiritual and cultural. Baseball is not exactly spiritual in the same sense (I'm sure some would disagree with that).

With an event that borders on religious, the celebration just seems over the top. Nothing wrong with being proud and being happy. But the endless jumping up and down out of control is odd. It sends the loudest possible signal that "Hah, we won, you looze, we won you looze" Is that the message of the Merrie Monarch?

Wouldn't it be nice to ceremoniously "honor" the halau and kumu in a spiritual, respectful ceremony. Something classy and quiet. Something you might see in church. Something Hawaiian in sight, sound and smell?

Is this a spiritual and cultural experience? Or is it a sport?

Just one man's lonely opinion.
        And you are most certainly entitled to it!

There's a time and place for everything. This year alone I've already been to several halau ho`ike, many of which were held at the Hawai`i Theater -- call it quiet and subdued if you will. It's probably an atmosphere more to your liking. The Merrie Monarch Festival is not. It's never been and most likely will never be. Auntie Dottie started everything 43 years ago with hopes to help Hilo's merchants. It's a CELEBRATION.

I see where you're coming from, kamuelakea. BUT...whatever journeys the kumu and their haumana take to get to the Merrie Monarch, be it cultural and spiritual, I really do believe that all of the above, plus celebration...they are able to co-exist, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice to ceremoniously "honor" the halau and kumu in a spiritual, respectful ceremony. Something classy and quiet. Something you might see in church. Something Hawaiian in sight, sound and smell?
          It's been happening every third Saturday in July for the past 28 years at the beautiful Moanalua Gardens in Honolulu, and it's called the Annual Prince Lot Hula Festival which is a noncompetitive hula celebration as opposed to a competition, which is what the Merrie Monarch and the King Kamehameha Day Hula Festivals are.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
            [...]I see where you're coming from, kamuelakea. BUT...whatever journeys the kumu and their haumana take to get to the Merrie Monarch, be it cultural and spiritual, I really do believe that all of the above, plus celebration...they are able to co-exist, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
            Well said.

The dancers are, after all, human beings from the planet earth. They've probably kept their emotions in check throughout the rigors of preparation for the festival. And, as human beings, it's not healthy to continually stuff emotions (whether positive or negative), keeping them inside.

I'm happy for you, kamuelakea, that you found the answer to your disdain by watching the performances and not watching the awards ceremonies. I'm one of those who loves to see the outbursts of sheer joy. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Well said.

The dancers are, after all, human beings from the planet earth. They've probably kept their emotions in check throughout the rigors of preparation for the festival. And, as human beings, it's not healthy to continually stuff emotions (whether positive or negative), keeping them inside.

I'm happy for you, kamuelakea, that you found the answer to your disdain by watching the performances and not watching the awards ceremonies. I'm one of those who loves to see the outbursts of sheer joy. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks!
              Tutusue I agree, dif'rent strokes. All I know is that I can't dance hula and if I tried they would arrest me, but I do know that if I put in as much work (and it is work) as those kids do, an I won, you couldn't hold me back from expressing the joy that I know would fill me. My hats off to all the dancers they are all winners I feel.
              List of local people living on the mainland

Never forgotten

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/pomai44/pow.gif

Comment

Question for Lei, is that avatar/picture off the goonies?

Comment

Originally posted by kine1
                  Question for Lei, is that avatar/picture off the goonies?
                  Indeed it is. Growing up my older siblings nicknamed me "Chunk" because I resembled the personality...all this despite the fact that I'm female.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                    Indeed it is. Growing up my older siblings nicknamed me "Chunk" because I resembled the personality...all this despite the fact that I'm female.
                    Now hold on just a minute, Lei. I know you're new here but did you know that the rule is if you use a photo for your avatar it *must* me an actual photo of you? At least that's what I was told. You don't think I'd use my avatar photo if it wasn't absolutely necessary...do you? I mean, sun damage is not a pretty picture but da rulez is da rulez.

To stay on topic...I stayed home tonight to watch Merrie Monarch and, so far, I'm not disappointed! Hope I can stay awake thru the entire evening and wish I could stay home tomorrow night. When I take my hat off I'm actually dating material.

Comment

At the risk of offending you purists...

Mark Kealii Hoomalu is BACK! He was a bit more traditional than in previous appearances but, still, there's always an edgyness to his and his dancers performances. Chickenskin, as usual. WOW! It was great to see the return of his halau and to listen to his original chant. They knocked my knee-highs right off.

Comment

who was it that was just doing the chanting with academy of Hawaiian arts?very distincive voice i have been hearing here for years...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          who was it that was just doing the chanting with academy of Hawaiian arts?very distincive voice i have been hearing here for years...
                          That's Mark Kealii Hoomalu, who I mentioned above.

Comment

tanxehmahaloz

Comment

Keep your eyes on the halau from Dallas, Texas. The group includes one 'Ailina, from Hawaii Threads! She lives and studies Hawaiiana in Louisiana and drove to Dallas to meet and travel together with halau to the Merrie Monarch!

See if you can spot her on TV. I haven't seen them dance yet.

They are called "Hâlau Hula Ho'ola Ka Mana O Hawai'i." You can find pictures of them at 'Ailina's blog:

http://panahula.blogspot.com/

Blaine
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Something I'm puzzled by (Merrie Monarch division):

Why were the stands so empty after 8:30 or so? Were those all seats dancers used earlier in the night and then left as they completed their performances? My understanding was that you've got to reserve a ticket a year in advance, so wouldn't you stick around for the whole night?
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X