666 ... oh wait I mean tuesday 6/6/06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 666 ... oh wait I mean tuesday 6/6/06

many people have been waiting for this day.... not me...

I just realized it after seeing a commercial for the OMEN coming out...
    I remember growing up seeing that movie when I was a small kid...
    Scared the bahjesus (sp) out of me!
    I won't be going to a theater to watch this one...

However... I do find the date in particular kind of interesting...anyother thoughts?

Re: 666 ... oh wait I mean tuesday 6/6/06

Pity the people living in Hell, MT and Hell for Certain, KY!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The date is a cool release date for a movie like this, but it has no real Biblical significance otherwise. The number of the beast, 666, probably does not refer to a date, and the beast is probably not the Antichrist himself, as Revelation makes fairly clear. Of course, there's a lot of disagreement about the interpretation of these passages, but if you've read the Revelation, you'd probably agree that this date has nothing to do with that number.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's just a number, like 13. Some religious people are so superstitious! Well, actually, by definition I guess *all* religious people are superstitious.

Why do people get so excited about stuff that obviously means nothing?

Comment

I knew there'd be a word like 13's triskadekophobia (probably not spelt right) [meaning fear of the number 13] for the 666 number. If you believe Wikipedia (not always wise):

"The number 666 retains a peculiar significance in the culture and psychology of Western societies, where some perceive it as “the Devil’s number”, even in contexts usually remote from superstition. The fear of the number 666 is called hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia."
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In this case, I think it's a combination of the mystery of the thing and the fact that it signifies the coming of important events. If you knew your dad was bringing home a pony for your birthday gift, the sound of any car that pulled into your driveway would get you excited. I have grown up surrounded by people who believe the Revelation but don't know what it means. I have found that the ones who confess they don't know what it means are the most reasonable.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There was an offhand reference made on NPR, perhaps aproprychal, about especially superstitious expectant parents looking to induce on June 5 to avoid a June 6 birthdate.

Man, I would love a 06/06/06 birthdate. I guess I'll have to settle for that odd birthmark on my forehead...

Comment

There's a special 666 art exhibit at Mercury bar...on Tues they are encouraging people to dress up as devils and angels. Free admission, I believe. The art is staying up beyond 6-6-06, though, I think...

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                  There's a special 666 art exhibit at Mercury bar...on Tues they are encouraging people to dress up as devils and angels. Free admission, I believe. The art is staying up beyond 6-6-06, though, I think...
                  Dat sounds like Fun! Dress up one side as an Angel da odda side as da Devil! Wat? I'm Bi-Polar.

Shucks. No can go. Not on a weekend night.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Looks like Pink Cadillac too is celebrating 666 --with live bands.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      I guess I'll have to settle for that odd birthmark on my forehead...
                      I wondered what that was, in one of your photos! But I looked closer and it read "665.75" --- so you're not as evil as you would have us believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        Well, actually, by definition I guess *all* religious people are superstitious.
                        Another reason I really do like you, MadAzza.

Comment

Somehow I am always chuckling on that Far Side cartoon where it takes place in Hell and the Devil is not too happy with a maintainance worker who just finished his work and is given a workorder form from the Devil and points out to the maintainance worker that he did the work wrong.

To which the maintainance worker makes a comment to the effect "well I suppose if I hold the form this way..."

And besides the devil and the maintainance worker is a door with the number 999 on it.
                          Last edited by helen; June 5, 2006, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Happy 06/06/06 to all....it's arrival in Hawai'i is about 2 minutes away! One thing I've always found interesting, as a marathon runner, is that many marathon organizers will not issue bib numbers to their participants with the numbers 13 or 666. I've always wanted a funky bib number to wear in a major marathon; I'm hoping I can get the Honolulu Marathon crew to issue me a neat number this year, such as 7777 or 8888...the ultimate number for me, of course, would be 262 (for the distance of the 26.2 miles run in the race). I have to say that I'm glad that 666 is an more-not-than-often-times issued bib number; that's one number I really wouldn't want to be wearing as I sweat my way up the Kuilei Cliffs during the Honolulu Marathon. (Yep..I'm superstitious about that number, at least while running a marathon, anyway!)

Comment

Yah, some folks get a little wacky about the number 666.

Earlier this year, a customer whose total came out to $16.66 freaked out and left her $20 bill as well as the items she was paying for. We never saw her again.

Comment

Working...
                              X