Heard something that irked me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard something that irked me...

While grocery shopping today, I overheard some teenagers standing a few feet from me in the chips and soda aisle in Star Market. I wasn't listening to what they were talking about, but the one line I did manage to hear really hurt: "I don't plan on returning to Hawaii after college until I retire or for vacations."

It just led me to wonder when will we solve our brain drain problem. Our youth must see that if they are not satisfied with what Hawaii has to offer, then perhaps they should contribute to its development and progress by living and working here.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Heard something that irked me...

I used to think that, too. "Man, there's no way I'm living in Hawaii... once I get out of school, I'm so out of here..."

Got out of school, moved away... and 10 years later found myself back here again...

It think it's very important for people who are raised here to get out for 10-15 years, experience other places, then bring that back here with them.

Comment

I'd have to agree. And you can't go up to them and pass on your experience and wisdom. You cannot say: "Oh you say that NOW! Just wait! You'll be back. You'll be happy to be back!"

Oh for a nickle for every arrogant thing I said until I became a seasoned sage.

At my job I encounter a lot of young folks, fresh out of college, with hope, spirit, a glimmer, and enthusiasm for their job. They seem so much more together than I ever did at that age. So for every kid who plans on getting off the rock and not looking back, there are probably a few who do appreciate what's here and will do what they can to stay.

Taking off for a spell isn't such a bad thing. I think it gives you a chance to appreciate all that's home.

I say home, because my bet is that the same conversations are heard all over the place.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
        teenagers in the chips and soda aisle
        our brain drain problem.
        hmmm. Nope. No brain drain problem there.

Comment

It think it's very important for people who are raised here to get out for 10-15 years, experience other places, then bring that back here with them.

Then when you suggest something that you learned somewhere else you inevitably hear that time honored phrase "Hey, that's not how we do it in Hawaii"

Now that's funny.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

Then when you suggest something that you learned somewhere else you inevitably hear that time honored phrase "Hey, that's not how we do it in Hawaii"

Now that's funny.

What you wrote is very revealing of your character.

You really don't like this place, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by dick
              What you wrote is very revealing of your character.

You really don't like this place, do you?
              Well in a way it is true, outsiders views are looked disdainfully upon by locals.
              I've lived here my entire life in Kona, thats what I've observed during
              my life living here.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                Well in a way it is true, outsiders views are looked disdainfully upon by locals.
                I've lived here my entire life in Kona, thats what I've observed during
                my life living here.

I don't think it's that outsiders' views are frowned upon, but it's often the snooty, holier-than-thou pontificating ways in which they are presented. Often along the lines of "well, on the mainland they do it..." With a "you slackjaws are living in a backwater" kind of undertone... I've seen it too many times...

That's a real quick way to turn people here off...

Comment

I don't think it's that outsiders' views are frowned upon, but it's often the snooty, holier-than-thou pontificating ways in which they are presented. Often along the lines of "well, on the mainland they do it..." With a "you slackjaws are living in a backwater" kind of undertone... I've seen it too many times...

That's a real quick way to turn people here off...
                  And not just from outsiders. It's a turn-off even when it comes from former residents, who should know better.

"You people over there had better shape up so the islands will still be livable when I complete my high-paying out-of-state career and return to buy my luxury retirement home."

Comment

I think it's good for most people to live somewhere other than where they were born, at least for a while, to get different living experiences and, yes, to occasionally bring that experience and knowledge back to where they came from. I think this is true whether you come from the islands or from a New York burrough. It would be good if people contribute to the development here by staying here to live and to work but that's really difficult sometimes for young people just starting off. Even with modern conveniences like the net and fairly easy travel, the job opportunities in some fields are brighter elsewhere with lower costs of living. It sometimes takes time to figure out whether the attractions of elsewhere make up for leaving home

Comment

I used to think that, too. "Man, there's no way I'm living in Hawaii... once I get out of school, I'm so out of here..."

Got out of school, moved away... and 10 years later found myself back here again...

Experiences are cool. Good or bad, they help define us as individuals.

How did you bring the experience and knowledge back and not get hit with "this is not how we do it here"?

I think a couple of successful examples would help everyone who ever had a good idea but either 1) did not share it cuz they thought they would get slammed or 2) shared it in a manner that was not well received.

I personally never had an issue with this. But then again, everything I ever learned about dealing with people I learned in the lineup.
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I know I was pretty disappointed the last time I lived in Hawai'i, hearing people say "Hawai'i sucks", people wanting to leave, etc. The way I see it, the islands are small compared to the mainland, we can't have too many people living there. If people want to leave, the airport is over there. More space for people who love it in Hawai'i. Still, brain drain is bad :/

Comment

While grocery shopping today, I overheard some teenagers standing a few feet from me in the chips and soda aisle in Star Market. I wasn't listening to what they were talking about, but the one line I did manage to hear really hurt: "I don't plan on returning to Hawaii after college until I retire or for vacations."
                          As some noted above, the occasionally irrational desire to get away is often a hallmark of youth. Whether you're growing up in Honolulu, HI, or Waukesha, WI, chances are you're thinking, "I'm going to get the hell out of here as soon as I can, and never look back!" I'd imagine that instinct is amplified here, as it is in any especially small or remote town.

I love Hilo. Yet a lot of the people I've met who have the strongest opinions about how much Hilo sucks are Hilo natives who say they "escaped."

I also agree that it's good for 'em to experience someplace else. It may make them appreciate where they're from more. But it may also help them find someplace else they'd like better. I certainly don't think everyone who leaves Hawaii should naturally want to return. If they're happier in San Diego or Germany or wherever, more power to 'em. The only catch being, of course, is that if they do want to come back... it's often harder for former islanders to "go home again" than it is for folks from other places.

"Brain Drain" is bad, and we should definitely do what we can to ensure ample opportunities exist at home so that people aren't forced to leave for want of a better life. And I'm always glad to hear anecdotes about local kids being able to come back. But I sure as heck don't want to try and hold back someone who's dead set on leaving. Nor do I think that importing talent is inherently evil. Basically, real advancement is pretty tough inside a sealed box.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                            Experiences are cool. Good or bad, they help define us as individuals.

How did you bring the experience and knowledge back and not get hit with "this is not how we do it here"?
                            For me it was more of a personal growth thing... I used those experiences to shape me a person, not to use as finger-shaking fodder (i.e. "they do it such-and-such a way on the mainland, so do it that way...")

I'm the type to shut up and do my own thing, and use what I've learned (from my time on the mainland as well as here) to shape how and what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                              While grocery shopping today, I overheard some teenagers....the one line I did manage to hear really hurt: "I don't plan on returning to Hawaii after college until I retire or for vacations."
                              I think the conversation you overheard is spoken by high schoolers and young people in all fifty states. I wouldn't take it personally as a rejection of Hawaii. Around here, it's the same tune: "I can't wait to graduate from school and get out of Rhode Island....I'm headed for Florida (or California) the day after graduation". I'm sure this talk goes on in Oklahoma, Maine, whatever state...all the US. Nobody to my knowledge begruges them for doing so.

It's the old grass is greener on the other side syndrome. I imagine the teens you heard discussing leaving Kauai for other parts, like other teens throughout the USA, are eager to see what else this country has to offer, after a "lifetime" (all 17-18 years of it) of living perhaps in one place. In their case, there is only so many times they can get a thrill out of shopping at Kukui Grove, going to Tunnels, or crusing Rice Street.

There will come a time that many of them will return, (not necessarily come retirement either) and when they do, they'll return with a broader perspective of what this nation is all about...and how special Hawaii is in comparison to the other 49 states.
                              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 12, 2006, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X