X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by chriscollado View Post
    I appreciate your compassionate response but ... How can I not take it personally? I was receiving a treatment based solely on the color of my skin. My wife receives the same type of attention as I do. It really scares her and we are at a loss as to what to do. We love Hawaii and have substantial respect for native Hawaiians and can understand their anger as to what happened all those years ago but I dont want to be held responsible for the actions of people hundreds of years ago who just happen to share my skin color. My parents only came to the US in the 1960's. Well... take care.
    Chris don't let the "ignorants of ANY race" dim your view of Hawaii. My wife(who is from the mainland) gets the same treatment from these "ANIMALS" every once in a while too, but the one who treat her with respect, always get respect back in return.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

This song(one of my Favorites) tells of how Hawaii's great king got along with the haoles...if King Kamehameha the Great can, can't we all?
      Oh Akua!
      Written by: John Kalani Lincoln

When the British first came to Hawaii Nei
      The Hawaiian people lived easily
      We lived in tribes that was run by chiefs
      Ancestral Gods and the Kahuna beliefs

(Chorus)
      Oh Akua take me back
      To the luau wahines and my little grass shack
      Oh Akua take me back
      To the luau wahines and my little grass shack
      Imua Ohana

Kamehameha's battles were easily won
      With the help of two haoles Davies and Young
      That's how our first King has appeared
      His cannon and muskets were no match for the spear

(Go to Chorus)

Da missionary come they teach da King something new
      Da King giv'em land to teach da kanaka too
      Now they own the land from the hill to the sea
      But was it given to them or to Christianity?

(Go to Chorus)
      Today get industries on the missionary land
      We got to get together bruddah got to make a stand
      Keep the culture teach the keiki so they know
      Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        This guy is rude, not funny.

But one interesting thing if you watch the Asian one. An Asian couple in LA are sitting at a table in a Japanese restaurant. The "Amazing Racist" asks "what kind of Chinese are you?". Immediately, with a big smile, the lady proudly says "we're Hawaiian", then the obviously Japanese Male, corrects her a bit by saying "Hawaiian Japanese". Pretty Ballsy to proudly pretend you are a Hawaiian when you aren't?

Classic proof of Neo-faux-Hawaiians in action. Talk about stealing someone's kingdom and culture. The Haoles took control of the store but the Plantation Asians are stealing all the goods.

BTW: This is not off topic. The localism issue is what controls Hawaii's majority reaction to violence like this.
        It's funny you should mention this. At the first meeting for the Hawai'i Club at my university I was stunned at the paucity of people actually from Hawai'i. A female officer of the club who is of strictly Japanese ancestry stated after the introductions that white people were welcome into the club too and not to worry or something along those lines. I was kinda shocked by the statement and couldn't believe that a Japanese individual (who is not from, nor has ever lived in Hawai'i) was acting as if she fit into the picture no questions asked, but "white" people needed extra affirmation. You could argue that I misinterpreted her statement, but this is not the case. She DOES have a haughty attitude, and pretends to be an authority on all things Hawaiian.
        It's interesting that you chose to bring this up, because most people are aware of this trend amongst non-Hawaiian locals, but hardly anybody (except for a few true Kanaka Maoli) ever calls it out.
        "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
        "But I can't even read good."
        "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
        "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

This guy is rude, not funny.

But one interesting thing if you watch the Asian one. An Asian couple in LA are sitting at a table in a Japanese restaurant. The "Amazing Racist" asks "what kind of Chinese are you?". Immediately, with a big smile, the lady proudly says "we're Hawaiian", then the obviously Japanese Male, corrects her a bit by saying "Hawaiian Japanese". Pretty Ballsy to proudly pretend you are a Hawaiian when you aren't?

Classic proof of Neo-faux-Hawaiians in action. Talk about stealing someone's kingdom and culture. The Haoles took control of the store but the Plantation Asians are stealing all the goods.

BTW: This is not off topic. The localism issue is what controls Hawaii's majority reaction to violence like this.
          Maybe they are part Hawaiian part Japanese. Some of my kids look totally Japanese yet they are part Hawaiian. I don't consider that stealing the goods.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It sounded like the woman said she was Hawaiian and the man said he was Japanese.
            Last edited by na alii; March 10, 2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

If you hit woman regardless of any race.....there will be consequence.

I gotta admit alot of you people have shown your true racist colors here.
              I feel sorry for you. HATE see's no color, Mr. Opihi picker would be sad =(

Now this was not a race crime? no it was not. It was a "Road Rage" and you don't have to be high on meth/batu or hwayn, portagee, haole, papolo, yapan, chang, blah blah yah to get pissed at an inconsiderate driver.

Some people for forget it ain't all about "you" remember "you get what you give"

shootz (i gott'em)

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                It sounded like the woman said she was Hawaiian and the man said he was Japanese.
                There is more to this exchange than you are seeing.

The jerk, dressed in an Asian costume and sitting in an Asian restaurant, asked the couple "What kind of CHINESE are you?".

1) Why would the lady say "We're Hawaiian". Anybody could be part-Hawaiian but she definitely looks more Asian than Hawaiian to me. If you are in an Asian restaurant, being asked by a guy in an Asian costume "what kind of Chinese (Asian) are you?, why would you answer with "Hawaiian".

2) The man really takes the award for Hawaiian-Wannabe by adding to or correcting the woman, "We are Japanese Hawaiian". He didn't say "Japanese", he said "Japanese Hawaiian". The man's appearance and age make me pretty sure that he is 100% Japanese, so why pretend.

Fact is this kind of psychological genocide is perpetrated by mostly Asians all the time. Usually on the mainland, where the average American is clueless to the realities.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Maybe they are part Hawaiian part Japanese. Some of my kids look totally Japanese yet they are part Hawaiian. I don't consider that stealing the goods.
                  I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.

I am assuming that your wife is not 100% Hawaiian since there are only 1000 or so left.

So if your kids say they are races X, Y, X and Hawaiian, that's not lying or stealing. If your kids say they are Hawaiian (only), then they are being less than accurate and in my opinion, disrespectful to their other ancestor's ethnicities, if there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum View Post
                    A female officer of the club who is of strictly Japanese ancestry stated after the introductions that white people were welcome into the club too and not to worry or something along those lines. I was kinda shocked by the statement and couldn't believe that a Japanese individual (who is not from, nor has ever lived in Hawai'i) was acting as if she fit into the picture no questions asked, but "white" people needed extra affirmation. You could argue that I misinterpreted her statement, but this is not the case. She DOES have a haughty attitude, and pretends to be an authority on all things Hawaiian.
                    How nice of this AJA to welcome Haoles into her "Hawaiian Club". You are being too polite. This attitude is common amongst most of Hawaii's Plantation Asians when they are traveling on the mainland. The Hawaii Asians exploit the ignorance (naturally) of the average resident of the other 49 states and immediately becomes "Hawaiians" when they get on an Airplane and leave the 50th state.

"Hawaiian Clubs" at mainland colleges and universities are the absolute ground zero for displays of this form of psychological genocide or at least identity theft or at least disrespect. They are predominantly Asians, whose homes in Hawaii are decorated with Japanese Dolls or Chinese funiture etc but when they get to the mainland, they magically transform into a "Hawaiian". Mainland hula halaus and mainland Hawaii festivals are the others.

I feel sorry for these folks because they so rudely deny their true heritage and to me disrespect their own ancestors.

I understand these people very well because I used to be one of them.

Comment

There is more to this exchange than you are seeing.

The jerk, dressed in an Asian costume and sitting in an Asian restaurant, asked the couple "What kind of CHINESE are you?".

1) Why would the lady say "We're Hawaiian". Anybody could be part-Hawaiian but she definitely looks more Asian than Hawaiian to me. If you are in an Asian restaurant, being asked by a guy in an Asian costume "what kind of Chinese (Asian) are you?, why would you answer with "Hawaiian".

2) The man really takes the award for Hawaiian-Wannabe by adding to or correcting the woman, "We are Japanese Hawaiian". He didn't say "Japanese", he said "Japanese Hawaiian". The man's appearance and age make me pretty sure that he is 100% Japanese, so why pretend.

Fact is this kind of psychological genocide is perpetrated by mostly Asians all the time. Usually on the mainland, where the average American is clueless to the realities.
                      I think you're reading into this way too much. Considering that the Japanese man corrected themselves as a couple as Japanese Hawaiian, that would be a correct statement if you define Hawaii as the State, not the Kingdom and it's native people. There was another thread where this was brought up. The quagmire lies in the fact that the current State shares the same name as the Kingdom and it's native people (although as I've learned in the forums here, Hawaiians actually refer to themselves as Kanaka Maoli).

Also, you honestly don't know what is the true ethnic makeup of this couple. Maybe they only have 1/30th Hawaiian blood and the rest is Japanese. Would Japanese Hawaiian not be appropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I think you're reading into this way too much. Considering that the Japanese man corrected themselves as a couple as Japanese Hawaiian, that would be a correct statement if you define Hawaii as the State, not the Kingdom and it's native people.

Also, you honestly don't know what is the true ethnic makeup of this couple. Maybe they only have 1/30th Hawaiian blood and the rest is Japanese. Would Japanese Hawaiian not be appropriate?

To the first, no it would be a lie. I excuse mainlanders for being igorant of the difference between a Hawaiian and a Hawaii resident, I don't excuse Hawaii residents who are so shamelessly trying to rip off the Native Hawaiian identity.

That's like saying you shouldn't expect most Americans to know the difference between a modern United States American and a Native American Indian. We would call them fools.

To the second, if you are less than 50% of any race then IMHO you really should stop letting that ethnicity be your answer to "What are you?". Its dishonest and minimum and in the case of Native Hawaiians, its psychological genocide. Why not just be honest and say you're, mixed race, cosmopolitan, poi dog, just American etc.? Why list Hawaiian if 31 out of 32 of your Great Great Grandparents were NOT Hawaiian. Silly.

Comment

I once had some guy yelling at me on the phone over some Hawaiian issue, and he demanded to know my race. Well, says I, I'm part-Indian and was born in Alaska (true).
                          Oh! he responded. That makes it different. People from Alaska are almost Hawaiian.
                          ???????
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

After being born and raised on Oahu for 40 years, I have NEVER heard an Asian person try to pass him/herself off as Hawaiian. I don't understand what there'd be to gain, other than maybe Hawaiian homelands.

When the question was posed to a bunch of my local friends, they all laughed and thought it was pretty funny. Can't speak for the mainland though. Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
                              After being born and raised on Oahu for 40 years, I have NEVER heard an Asian person try to pass him/herself off as Hawaiian. I don't understand what there'd be to gain, other than maybe Hawaiian homelands.
                              You are right. They never do in Hawaii. Wouldn't risk it. It's when they are on the mainland with what they assume is an ignorant audience when they transform into faux-new-Hawaiians.

Comment

I've never heard an expat call him/herself "Hawaiian" in WA state, either. Could be because there are so many kanakas living up here now and because the Seattle area sends more visitors to Hawai'i than any other state except California. So it'd be pretty hard for a former Hawai'i resident to get away with calling him/herself "Hawaiian" without actually being kanaka maoli.

Most of the time, it's not so much an expat wanting to refer to themself as "Hawaiian" as it is having a nonlocal person mistakenly identify an expat as "Hawaiian" (when they are not) and the expat's frustration at trying to explain the difference between being "from Hawai'i" but "not being Hawaiian" and a Native Hawaiian. Sometimes it's just easier to nod and agree than to launch into a lengthy explanation (we've seen this phenomenon on this forum, too). This case of mistaken identity happens most frequently in areas where a person's exposure to anything Hawaiian is relegated to watching Hawai'i on television and not actually being exposed to the different cultures of Hawai'i.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X