• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonah K
    replied
    Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
    Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    What about an Indian from India living in America and when approached about his/her background, replies, "I'm Indian."
    I saw a newswoman add to this very response, "Dot, not feather". Too funny.
    When asked about their backgrounds, my nephews often respond, "Hawaiian, poi kine, not Spam kine."

I'm glad that the mo'olelo of Haloa and the origin of kalo stuck with them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
    And don't fall for that stereotypical Samoan look in the u.s. We come in all different shapes,sizes, and shades of brown. That western diet is no good for us island folk.

Samoan: Exhibit A http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ff...-tuiavii,0.jpg

Fijian: Exhibit B

http://www.justpacific.com/fiji/fiji...cal-fijian.jpg

Hawaiian: Exhibit C

http://www.exit50.com/images/April2005/_dukesurfer.jpg

As a group, polynesians are all the most beautiful race on Earth. But you gotta admit, Hawaiians da mos handsome.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
    I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.

I am assuming that your wife is not 100% Hawaiian since there are only 1000 or so left.

So if your kids say they are races X, Y, X and Hawaiian, that's not lying or stealing. If your kids say they are Hawaiian (only), then they are being less than accurate and in my opinion, disrespectful to their other ancestor's ethnicities, if there are others.
    So this man who corrected his "Hawaiian Wahine" friend was accurate if both of them really were of mixed ethnicity right?

100% Hawaiian...there was a time when that meant Kanaka Maoli. Too bad for the Trask sisters, they don't count I guess...you know being only part Hawaiian.

Now that first statement about AJA's not starting out marrying until the last 25 years or so. Hah?

Better stop assuming cuz that just don't sound right, either that or pass whatever you're smoking. That statement would mean all AJA's 25-years and older are bastards and that's a lot of em.

But Kamuelakea, you're right...it is just your opinion so I'll respect that regardless of mine.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 12, 2007, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
    I forgot Makua Rothman is most definitely kanaka.
    :::Musing, smiling, sighing, giggling, rolling eyes:::

Hapa-Hasidic? Kanaka-conservative? Shalom aleichem and aloha nui loa?

You just have to laugh, sometimes...

Happy Pesach to all the Rothmans of Hawaii!

No, I am not Jewish, but I grew up in a TRUE melting pot. If nothing else, it makes me more prone to giggling at such inanity.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; March 12, 2007, 12:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kahalu'u Kid
    replied

At the world famous Triple Crown surf meets on the North Shore of Oahu, when the commentator is commenting on the surf action for the crowd, the usually caucasian and sometimes hispanic/brazilian announcers almost always refer to all the Hawaii boys as "Hawaiians" whether or not they have native blood. They'll say like, "Hawaiian Shane Dorian with a nice tube ride!"

I think the only Sunny Garcia, Fred Patacchia maybe? Kekoa Bacalso? Joel Centeio? Probably have Kanaka blood. I forgot Makua Rothman is most definitely kanaka.

Is this about being politically-correct again?! Sheesh

PS--Kamuelakea and PoiBoy, das uns wat U said about Samoans and Filipinos. Cyn, you got a CRAZY bloodline! (Crazy as in COOL!) Aloha.
    Last edited by Kahalu'u Kid; March 12, 2007, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PoiBoy
    replied

Kalamai brah. But its true. Hawaiians are beautiful people. Check out the portraits of da Kings. Hansome buggahz. Too bad almost extinct. I can only say that cuz this is an anonymous internet board so da sole's can't kick my okole. But I think even da sole's admit, Hawaiians are bettah looking. But eh, no huhu, Samoans are better looking than da Fijians. Something wid da afro.
    Why you got to bring up the Fijians? Don't forget Hawaiians have Melanesian koko in them too.
    But yah, ive seen some historical photos of some fine Hawaiian wahine. *not those stupid postcards*
    And don't fall for that stereotypical Samoan look in the u.s. We come in all different shapes,sizes, and shades of brown. That western diet is no good for us island folk.

Portrait of Queen Kapuolani

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04884900.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04902700.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04901600.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04924100.jpg
    Last edited by PoiBoy; March 11, 2007, 11:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
    Come on bro...take a look at the old historical photographs. I see my brothers and sisters....Hawaiians are just a beautiful as the Samoans.

Kalamai brah. But its true. Hawaiians are beautiful people. Check out the portraits of da Kings. Hansome buggahz. Too bad almost extinct. I can only say that cuz this is an anonymous internet board so da sole's can't kick my okole. But I think even da sole's admit, Hawaiians are bettah looking. But eh, no huhu, Samoans are better looking than da Fijians. Something wid da afro.

Leave a comment:

• PoiBoy
    replied

For the uneducumatables, I tell them, you ever see Isreal Kamakawiwaole? Have you ever seen Duke Kahanamoku? If they say yes, I say, that is a Hawaiian, not all the immigrants you see running around the islands today. If they don't recognize those names I say, "Have you ever seen a Samoan?" They all say yes. Then I say, that's kind of what a Hawaiian looks like, only Hawaiians are better looking. I add in Hawaiians are Polynesians, not Asians.

Come on bro...take a look at the old historical photographs. I see my brothers and sisters....Hawaiians are just a beautiful as the Samoans.

As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed.
    Ive noticed that too. WHAM+some!!!! *i joke i joke*

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    brah, i know planny. i went to a high school known for its relatively high concentration of students of japanese and chinese descent, and each graduating class numbered about 200. practically all of the kids i went to school with were local born, and many of them were not only themselves mixed-japanese (including japanese-hawaiian), but had parents who were part-japanese. given my own age, many of those former schoolmates are now over thirty-five.

You simply aren't looking around. Again. Look at your graduating class or anywhere else in Hawaii. The number of part-chinese/part-haole/part-hawaiians/part-portuguese each outnumber the amount of part-Japanese 1000 to one.

You don't know Hawaii and especially Hawaii's recent history. It is a fact that Hawaii's Japanese married out the least (of the large ethnic groups) from when they arrived until recently (maybe the 1980s) and probably on a percentage basis still marry out the least. Come on, this is so obvious, it isn't worth argueing about. If you don't see the differnce, you are blind to reality.

If I invite all of the Craig Watanabe's in Hawaii to a party, most, maybe even all, would be pure Japanese. That's just da facts honey gurl.

As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

I said most, not all.
    you definitely did did not say "most". this is what you said:

I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.
    while you didn't say "all," you made an assumption about craig and declared it to be based on "fact." i'm not going to make any statements on craig's ethnic background, but i easily proved your "fact" wrong with the simple act of looking across the couch at my boyfriend.

as for your more recent comment:

How many over 35 years old part-Japanese from Hawaii born Japanese parents do you know?
    brah, i know planny. i went to a high school known for its relatively high concentration of students of japanese and chinese descent, and each graduating class numbered about 200. practically all of the kids i went to school with were local born, and many of them were not only themselves mixed-japanese (including japanese-hawaiian), but had parents who were part-japanese. given my own age, many of those former schoolmates are now over thirty-five.

additionally, eric's dad's family is from the north shore, where there are a good number of hawaii-born native hawaiian-japanese of his parents' age. if that actual fact seems inconceivable to you based on your "fact", then i could make the mistake of assuming you also don't know what "sansei" means but i don't have the habit of making an ass of myself.

So you can keep scrunching your eyes but you're going to get those permanent crows feet wrinkles when you're 50.
    crow's feet at fifty? i would have flinched if you said "crows feet at thirty," which i, by grace of my filipina genes, do not yet have. warning me against crow's feet at fifty is as impotent as warning me that if i stick my tongue at you, my face is gonna get frozen that way.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    *cyn scrunches her brow, peers over the computer monitor at eric, now 35 years old and born of a sansei father and a okinawan-palauan-japanese-spanish-portuguese-english-korean mother, who is in her fifties*
    I said most, not all. Tell me you are not a minority in Hawaii? How many over 35 years old part-Japanese from Hawaii born Japanese parents do you know?

I know some, I know 1000 to 1 the number of part Chinese, part Portuguese, part Hawaiian part English part German. I gotta test my memory to come up with the part-Japanese.

So you can keep scrunching your eyes but you're going to get those permanent crows feet wrinkles when you're 50.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

The simple one, two punch of: I am (FILL IN THE BLANK), I am not Hawaiian, and Hawaiians are like Indians.

Now if the dummy doesn't get it, then you have 2 choices, walk away or take this as an opportunity to educate people on the plight of Native Hawaiians. Because Hawaiians are not like Indians in that they don't enjoy the same recognition and independence.
    And see, that's the point, Kam. Kanakas are NOT like Native Americans because they have even fewer rights than most tribes do! So to say Hawaiians are like Indians doesn't make sense either. So you're telling me I should say something like : "Real Hawaiians are like Native Americans except they don't have the same rights and privileges that Indian tribes do?" Unfortunately, most people in this country don't recognize shades of gray, Kam. You either "are" or you "aren't". Our educational system is woefully inadequate in teaching kids that it's never only one way or the other, especially when you refer to people of multiple ethnicities.

And I try mightily to educate people about the history of Hawai'i, but most people don't get it.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 05:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

*cyn scrunches her brow, peers over the computer monitor at eric, now 35 years old and born of a sansei father and a okinawan-palauan-japanese-spanish-portuguese-english-korean mother, who is in her fifties*

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    What about an Indian from India living in America and when approached about his/her background, replies, "I'm Indian.".
    I saw a newswoman add to this very response, "Dot, not feather". Too funny.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    What am I supposed to say? Lie and tell them I wasn't born in Hawai'i so they don't keep referring to me as Hawaiian??? That's a double lie, as far as I'm concerned.Miulang
    The simple one, two punch of: I am (FILL IN THE BLANK), I am not Hawaiian, and Hawaiians are like Indians.

Now if the dummy doesn't get it, then you have 2 choices, walk away or take this as an opportunity to educate people on the plight of Native Hawaiians. Because Hawaiians are not like Indians in that they don't enjoy the same recognition and independence.

So if they are really that dumb and if they irritate you that much, then by all means take them to the next steps.

Tell them about the Hawaiian nation, independent, peaceful, with numerous treaties with many governments including the United States. Tell them about the overthrow, tell them about Cleveland, tell them about the apology bill, tell them about the social and economic and cultural plight of the Native Hawaiians.

For the uneducumatables, I tell them, you ever see Isreal Kamakawiwaole? Have you ever seen Duke Kahanamoku? If they say yes, I say, that is a Hawaiian, not all the immigrants you see running around the islands today. If they don't recognize those names I say, "Have you ever seen a Samoan?" They all say yes. Then I say, that's kind of what a Hawaiian looks like, only Hawaiians are better looking. I add in Hawaiians are Polynesians, not Asians.

Then they will get it, garanzzzzzz. I don't stop until they get it. No can Ack wid me.

Bottom line is that your intelligent friends will get it with the first response and idiots who don't deserve the history lecture.

Either way, productive.

I don't know why you guys have so much difficulty with this because I encounter the same questions but rarely (It does happen) have difficulty getting people to understand the difference between a Hawaiian and an immigrant.
    Last edited by kamuelakea; March 11, 2007, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X