Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

My 'ohana constantly gets spoken to in Spanish over here in So Cal. Our first week living here we got discriminated against at a drive in theater. People there refused to talk to us and take our food order because they thought we were Mexican. Sadly that wasn't the last time something like that happened to us. Makes ya defensive when you are discriminated against over being something that ain't even in your koko.

Which brings us back to the, "It sucks when people don't realize what you are ethnically," subject. I just politely say I'm not of Mexican heritage and don't speak Spanish. Of course saying that has bit me in da okole too as there are some Mexicans who hear me say that and think I'm one of those Mexicans who are ashamed of their heritage. I'm no high makamaka, jus being honest but they don't believe me. Tis why I stay more Pake in my skin tone these days. I don't get asked if I habla Espanol anymore.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      Yes, you are wrong.

Spanish is the second most common language in the U.S.

It's spoken by more people in the Americas than English.

Apparently anyone living in the South long enough might be infected by the endemic bigotry of the region. Shame that that includes Hawaiians. Latinos are here to stay folks. Coming to a town near you.
      The fact that warning signs and product instructions are written in Spanish as well as English is often just for safety's sake.

When I lived in NY and worked in a county hospital many, if not a majority, of my patients spoke Spanish. It was pretty much a matter of safety that we spoke Spanish and had interpreters on hand to explain complicated matters, such as consents for surgery and procedures.

Outside of health care settings it is often a matter of economics. If the sale signs are in Spanish, well, people who read Spanish may be attracted to the sales. Money talks, in any language.

My kids are half Hispanic. Some of my grandkids are three-quarters Hispanic. When the kids who are more darkly complected come here they're often mistaken for local. My brown-eyed daughter is rarely asked to present proof of residency for kama'aina rates. The lighter-skinned kids are asked where they're from and how long they'll be staying here.

Oh well. I guess in this world of increasingly multi-ethnic folks the people who are really terribly concerned about being correctly identified according to their race or ethnic heritage by complete strangers should perhaps consider having t-shirts printed up announcing their background. In several languages, of course.

And make them up in keiki sizes too. It's only going to get more complicated.
      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 26, 2007, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        I don't think there will be an influx of latinos here in Hawai'i anytime soon... too much of a swim.
        LOL....I am starting to hear more and more Mexican Spanish spoken here. The other day at Costco in Hawaii Kai I heard it and turned around. Several men in hard hats and work clothes, accompanied by some women and children, shopping.

FWIH there are a lot of Mexican laborers in the drywall business here and on Maui.

By the way, they have been known to fly in planes. They towel off after swimming, too.
        Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 26, 2007, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I'll take that bet.
          I don't make bets but I'd be interested in hearing your perspectives on the matter. Hawai'i is a long way from the ContUS and as we all know,the cost of living is very high. It's not like latinos are going to come here looking for work they way the do in other states on the continent.Unless you are talking about rich latinos.Please share your insight.

Comment

tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?
              Some folks have identity issues. She brings that up almost every time she posts.

I like the part how she stays out of the sun so people won't mistaken her for a Mexican.

Comment

I don't make bets but I'd be interested in hearing your perspectives on the matter. Hawai'i is a long way from the ContUS and as we all know,the cost of living is very high. It's not like latinos are going to come here looking for work they way the do in other states on the continent.Unless you are talking about rich latinos.Please share your insight.
                As TimKona in his soft-hearted way has indicated before, if you're hard working and reliable you can go far in Hawaii. Among latinos, Mexicans especially, epitomize these values. Locals would do well to teach latinos to surf as soon as they arrive to lessen their impact on the local work ethic. They also know how to control living costs and send money home/save.
                I saw a George Lopez act on TV where he was saying that FEMA was rebuilding New Orleans. Find Every Mexican Available.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

They're here, Keanu:

http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/10/news/story10.html

Comment

My 'ohana up here (mom, dad, sisters, brother and myself) have corrected people nicely (full of smiles and aloha) only to be called a liar and get told we are sad people for being ashamed of who we are. That's where it gets wrong and irritating, this happens more than occasionally.

It's not the people who wonder what we (my 'ohana) are, or even come up speaking another language that get me all huhu but the ones who fight with me and try to tell me what my or my 'ohana's real ethnic background is, accuse us of hiding it, call us names and get all snooty about it. There's nothing pono bout dat. I know I'd never do that to someone.

Comment

Hawai'i touts its low unemployment rate across the country, and like Sinjin says, Latino families have extremely strong family values. If they can put food on the table and their family stays together, they will work 3 or 4 jobs if they have to, and will cram 6 people into a one bedroom apartment if that's all they can afford.

Hispanic immigrant families do what other families from other countries in the past have done: they work hard in low paying jobs, but they do whatever they have to to try to make better lives for their kids. It's something that a lot of other families 3 or 4 generations removed from being immigrants forget.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As TimKona in his soft-hearted way has indicated before, if you're hard working and reliable you can go far in Hawaii. Among latinos, Mexicans especially, epitomize these values. Locals would do well to teach latinos to surf as soon as they arrive to lessen their impact on the local work ethic. They also know how to control living costs and send money home/save.
                        I saw a George Lopez act on TV where he was saying that FEMA was rebuilding New Orleans. Find Every Mexican Available.
                        There are already hard working reliable locals and I'm sure they would not be happy at the thought of Mexicans moving here and taking their jobs.

I don't find the local work ethic comment particularly funny. My parents worked their local asses off so we'd be able to live comfortably at home in Hawai'i. I don't think "Mexicans" are any harder working or any more reliable than those that already live here.

Fwiw, not to paint with too broad a brush but there are already a wealth of kooks taking up space in our lineups, the last thing local surfers need is more.
                        Last edited by Keanu; February 26, 2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                          Some folks have identity issues. She brings that up almost every time she posts.

I like the part how she stays out of the sun so people won't mistaken her for a Mexican.
                          Because it gets old to argue with people, very old. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't refreshing the last few years to not have to deal with comments about being a "liar" and ashamed of this so called Mexican heritage I must have. Is it right for someone to say to me, "Oh so you are one of THOSE Mexicans who want to be different, why are you so ashamed?" and go on and on about it.

And I was posting about the topic at hand, not making a new thread. Many people have posted on this thread before me about similar things. I don't have any identity issues, I know who I am. I'm proud of every ancestor I have, not just one group of them and know that they all make up me as a person. That doesn't make me confused at all. I still don't understand how I have identity issues?

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                            My 'ohana up here (mom, dad, sisters, brother and myself) have corrected people nicely (full of smiles and aloha) only to be called a liar and get told we are sad people for being ashamed of who we are. That's where it gets wrong and irritating, this happens more than occasionally.

It's not the people who wonder what we (my 'ohana) are, or even come up speaking another language that get me all huhu but the ones who fight with me and try to tell me what my or my 'ohana's real ethnic background is, accuse us of hiding it, call us names and get all snooty about it. There's nothing pono bout dat. I know I'd never do that to someone.
                            does this happen so frequently, Leikaina? And a simple, "I'm sorry, but Hawaiians don't speak Spanish. Aloha!" with a smile wouldn't suffice?

======
                            edited to add, on the east coast, I got Puerto Rican a lot, and that was how I would address it. Although my experiences weren't offensive to me, I do not presume to say what should or should not be regarded as offensive to you.

pax

Comment

Does anyone watch Carlos Mencia? He had a whole skit about how when he landed in Hawai'i when he was on vacation he thought he was deported and was really in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                                does this happen so frequently, Leikaina? And a simple, "I'm sorry, but Hawaiians don't speak Spanish."
                                >>TIC<<

Some do. It can be learned, like any other language.

Comment

Working...
                                X